CX747
Topic Author

How Do Major League Teams Travel?

Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:33 pm

I was wondering how major league sports teams travel? When they travel aboard airlines, are the aircraft specially outfitted with luxury seats? When the Diamondbacks travel, is there a special AWA aircraft for them?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Spark

RE: How Do Major League Teams Travel?

Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:54 pm

I believe (not positive) that most teams charter planes that are in regular service with the airline. Ofcourse that may not be the case for teams with dedicated planes during the season with the livery advertising the occupants. Most NBA teams fall in that category.
I've heard stories from the 49er Travel Manager getting a coniption because United didn't have their aircraft waiting for them (tough nukies, they shouldn't have top priority). However, that implies that the plane was used while the 49ers were in New Orleans.
The Raiders were using a Hawaiian MD11 (at least going to New England for the championship game). I don't believe that was a specially equipt plane for them either.

jhooper

RE: How Do Major League Teams Travel?

Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:55 pm

Sometimes they'll just fly on the regular jets (yes, the same ones you and I fly on).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.