AirIndia

Fog Problem At Delhi Solved

Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:48 pm

With the installation of the new CAT III system at IGI Airport in New Delhi, the long flight delays or severely altered schedules will be avoided. Currently, the pilots of IC are undergoing training on how to operate the Airbus a/c where the avionics are compliant to CAT III. I wonder whether the boeing avionics are also same.

regards

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

Ejazz

RE: Fog Problem At Delhi Solved

Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:42 am

Unfortunately, was in Delhi about 10 days ago and it was CAT II not III. It's a much needed start anyway, hopefully next on the list is ATC.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

ammunition

Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:53 am

Sounds good, i was delayed by 9 hours once due to the fog, and my mom was delayed 24 hours.
I am due to fly from there in a couple of months, i hope its all working :p
i have an air india flight 2moro from GOA- MUMBAI, i will post a trip report asap :p
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

B747-437B

Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:06 am

DEL has always had CAT III available, but the babus in power never allowed the system to be used. Hence they were restricted to CAT II (not even CAT II-B or CAT II-C) operations. Allegedly this was because of kickbacks paid by some of the airport hotel owners who profited wildly from flight delays and cancellations.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Ejazz

Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:16 am

You have CAT I, II or III-A, B or C precision approaches. CAT I, II and III have aircraft categories A,B,C, and D.

Delhi Notams for the past year have mentioned airport upgrading with the installation of a CAT II landing system. I'd find it hard to believe the current system has always been CAT III since the ILS is very erratic at the best of times, there are no CAT III runway markings, there is no CAT III precision approach lighting system or CAT III taxiway markings.

Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos