lanperu

To Airline Pilots.

Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:27 am

Hi:

I was wondering if I am required to join the air force in order to become an airline pilot. Can I just get private training and then go on from there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MD88Captain

RE: To Airline Pilots.

Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:50 am

Major airline pilots come from both pure military and pure civilian backgrounds. Do your research and make your decision. Both paths have their respective pluses and minuses.

CcrlR

Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:33 am

It's the same with a mechanic. Some people join the Air Force and get their training there and some go to colleges that specify in it. The only thing is that if you research then you can make your decision. I am thinking about getting my pilot's licence and what I am doing is getting my training now at a private flight school and then when I get to college I can take off for flight training and cost in my tuition when I go.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

flyingbronco05

Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:12 am

I would recommend that if you take the civilian route (non air force) that you go to a University. You will learn more about aviation as a whole than just getting licenses from a private company. Do what you want and have fun Big grin
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

lanperu

Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:36 pm

Does anyone know of any good Universities for Pilot stuff?

DE727UPS

Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:52 am

If you have other interests in addition to flying...it would be smarter to get a non-aviation degree from the college or university of your choice. The airlines do NOT care what your degree is in...just that you can check the box that says you have a BS/BA degree. A non-aviation degree gives you something to fall back on during hard times in the industry or if you lose your medical for some reason. Also, it could help you have a second job at something else you enjoy in addition to flying, as some flying jobs give you a lot of time off. The non-aviation route is cheaper, too, and you can train at any flight school.