flyyul

Northwest Studying Memphis Links To Canada

Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:06 am

At YUL yesterday, a Northwest operations auditor visited the station, and gave us news from management in Minneapolis. It was revealed that Northwest is currently studying the possibility of opening regional jet links to Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Winnipeg to Memphis.

My station manager believes that by next summer, Montreal and Toronto should have links to Memphis, on a regional basis. I see this as an excellent oppurtunity for NW and for MEM, since it takes a relatively low load to break-even on this CRJ's..

Mark

mls515

RE: Northwest Studying Memphis Links To Canada

Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:09 am

I remember when AA had the BNA-Nashville hub they had mainline flights to Canada.

Noise

Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:11 am

This is exellent news Mark, thanks for informing us. I hope in ayear or two we see a YUL-MEM route. Southern destinations are becoming more and more popular with Montrealers and Canadians in general.

spyderz

Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:26 am

This probably coincides with the start of weekly seasonal non-stop YVR-MEM service on a A320. Am I correct in thinking this is Memphis's only non-stop passenger flight to Canada right now?

dutchjet

Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:41 am

Makes sense, NW wants to get back to growing its Memphis hub and Montreal and Toronto are logical new cities, especially if they can be served with very effecient Regional Jets. Flying pax from Montreal and Toronto via Memphis and on to cities in the Southeast should work - DL does it with success via ATL, the only issue is that MEM is a little out of the way for connections on to Florida.

Is the NW MEM-Vancouver flight seasonal?

As stated above, AA flew from Toronto to Nashville, I think 3 times per day with 72S and MD80 aircraft.......dont know if those flights were successful but AA quickly closed the Nashville hub while NW is very committed to Memphis.

Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:44 am

It's interesting they're studying beefing up links from Memphis, considering that their MSP and DTW hubs are much closer to Canada, and Memphis has fewer commercial ties to Canada than the other two cities.

azjubilee

Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:15 am

MEM is a great connecting point to anywhere in the south, midsouth, southeast and florida. Not to mention this eliminates the double connecting hassle. There doesn't have to be tons of business ties between Canada and MEM, but there is a lot of traffic moved though MEM by NW and its partners. It'll be exciting to see the MEM growing again! MEM-YVR was seasonal service last summer and is back for this summer as well. I wouldn't be surprised that this stuff starts with a CRJ (based on current games being played between NW and its airlink partners) but it could be something bigger.

AZJ

Noise

Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:55 am

Passengers from the north necessarily only fly to Florida, but a lot of them fly to Mexico or other Southern/Caribbean destinations, therefore making MEM an ideal place for connections. Flights to YUL and YYZ will do well, but YWG and YOW are maybes. Flights to YOW and YWG will probably only happen in the long term.

yyz717

Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:55 am

MEM will be a hub for Canadians, not a destination. There are few, if any, commercial links between MEM and Canada.

The MEM-YVR Sat service is to serve the Alaska cruise industry.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

flyyul

Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:40 am

At this point, it still remains a project, anything really, can offset it..

mark

westjet_8

Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:01 am

I am suprised that they are not studing a Mem, Yyc route becasue both have extensive cargio networks and Nothwest has a history at YYC
Canadian. RIP 1999

favre

Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:27 am

The cargo numbers are fed-ex hub numbers--not exactly a cargo rich area...The numbers on Memphis are really a sham..Very little freight is locally generated....verses say hong kong..But yes pinnacle will start a direct flight to yul..yyz is also in the loop but not yet decided...also look for some more caribbean flying this fall....
BAE 146 ARJ CV-580 YS-11 SH360 DASH8 SAAB340 EMB 120-135-145-175 DC9/10/30/40/50 MD80/90 DC10 717 727 737 747 757 767 77

yyz717

Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:56 am

MEM city council has been pushing hard for MEM-LGW for years. No luck with NW yet though.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

skihigh2002

Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:54 am

They were really close to giving us here at MEM a LGW flight pre-9/11 but those plans were scrapped pretty quick. Also, when the KLM/Alitalia talks were going on last summer there was some MEM-Rome talks but when those negotiations fell apart those plans were scrapped as well.

Chris

ywg777

Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:46 pm

I can see it working well for YWG as it is 1 of NWA's big fortresses in Canada. We come 3rd for having the most NW flights. I can see it working in a CRJ I just hope the range is there. Its worth the shot though. Keep me informed. YYZ-MEM/YUL-MEM should work though.

Shawn

flyyul

Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:43 pm

YUL and YYZ-MEM will be the first to start on CRJ basis YWG777..

Cheers,
Mark

Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:48 pm

I agree with FLYYUL that if Northwest starts new Canada services from Memphis, it will definitely be to Toronto, possibly Montreal. There isn't much high-yield traffic between western Canada and the U.S. south, with the exception of the Alberta-Texas oil routes.

The high-yield traffic is important because of the higher seat-mile costs on an RJ.

Marco

Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:53 pm

NW could definately make MEM-YYZ/YUL work.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Noise

Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:14 pm

Flights to YYZ and YUL will be especially successful because of the large number Canadians flying to the south every winter and spring. Plus, Montreal and Toronto do not have flights to smaller southern US marktes, so MEM would be an ideal connecting point.

Chris

flyyul

Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:21 am

I beg to differ, Toronto has routes to Kansas, St.Louis, MEM, DFW, IAH, PHX etc etc etc etc... Montreal has the shortage of these.

Mark

yyz717

Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:07 am

YUL does not have a shortage of flights to southern US markets. Any shortage would be filled by a US or Canadian carrier. The current YUL flights to southern US markets are what the (relatively small) YUL market commands.

AC flies YYZ-BNA. This is a non-hub service at the BNA end of course.

flyyul

Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:03 am

Yes ok, Neil is right. There is no shortage of flights to YUL.

In fact, the only flights that Montreal deserves is to Toronto, other than that, nobody travels from here..

Mark

Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:22 am

There is no such thing as 'deserve' in airline economics, especially in this age of open skies. Any airport that wants new service has to be prepared to show that it has earned it.

The best bet for any city wishing for more nonstop routes and more airlines is to create a favourable climate for wealth creation -- or at the very least, to scrap policies that penalize people for succeeding.

Noise

Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:40 am

Hehe, you guys crack me up! Well, you know what I think, so I'm not going to repeat it, all I have to say is that there is more to Canada that Toronto, and sometimes people seem to forget that.

C-GRYK

Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:07 am

Yes Noise, and people often sometimes forget that airlines are businesses. They don't have conspiracies to underserve cities. If market figures dictate a route should be flown nonstop, then you will see that route opened up. You guys have to stop complaining about how YUL is so underserved and AC doesn't like flying from YUL blah blah. If there was some sort of conspiracy against YUL, well then you wouldn't have the non stop links to Europe that you have. Your city is adequately served. So what if you don't like having to connect through larger hubs, airlines don't like flying aircraft that are a quarter full. You guys just really haven't grasped the business supply and demand concept of airlines. If there is a demand for a route, it WILL BE FLOWN, simple as that. You guys never produce ANY figures showing how many pax fly from YUL to any cities you feel you need a flight to, you guys just figure that since YYZ gets those flights, YUL should as well. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Jeremy
Think before you type!

Noise

Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:13 am

Jeremy, I know that, and I understand everything that you said, but we find it a bit.....suspicious when an airline drops a route from YUL, which was doing pretty well, but then does not drop a route which is doing pretty poor from YYZ. We had the stats the see if the flights were doing well or not, if we didn't have the stats, we wouldn't be complaining. You can get the stats yourself.

Marco

Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:16 am

Noise, AC operates a hub and spoke system, that's what people are trying to tell you. A route may as well be profitable out of YUL but AC would rather concentrate on their YYZ hub! AC doesn't hate YUL, it's their home after all!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

lymanm

Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:28 am

"We had the stats the see if the flights were doing well or not, if we didn't have the stats, we wouldn't be complaining. You can get the stats yourself."

Noise, I would LOVE to see these stats!!!!! (I sincerely hope you aren't referring to FLYYUL's conversation with the ADM CEO or messing around on the NW computer)
buhh bye

yow

Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:10 am

YOW-MEM would be surprising to see, given that we still don't have YOW-MSP yet, although I have heard rumours on here about that happening soon. NW looks prepared to grow their YOW market share. The first step is the RJs that are coming in August. I can see YOW-MEM happenning some day, as our only current year-round southern route is to ATL, but only a year or two after YYZ/YUL-MEM starting.

Noise

Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:05 am

Marco, yep know AC operated the hub and spoke system, the thing is that AC considers YUL a hub too, but doesn't treat YUL like one, that's what gets us upset. If AC's hub is in YYZ and YVR, but not YUL, then they shouldn't consider it one.

Lymanm, I know you think I don't have anything, right? You just think I'm some guy who doesn't know what I'm talking about and now is the time to show how wrong I am.

Lymanm, I'm sure you do want to see that stats, AND THAT'S WHY I'M GOING TO TELL YOU WHERE TO GET THEM!!! Go to http://www.itn.com, get an account and you can see the availability, but you don't to see a seat map. Betcha didn't see that coming.

lymanm

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:13 am

Noise, in fact, I DID see this coming. All you're doing is directing me to a third party reservation system. trip.com, expedia.com, travelocity.com....it doesn't make a difference. You can even go to an individual airline's site (Delta comes to mind) to view reserved seats. VIewing seat availability online DOES NOT mean you can determine an airline's profitablity on a specific route. Load factor is NOT the be all, end all of determing profits (and in any event, what you see here are reserved seats, not seats actually occupied when the door closes). There are an infinite number of factors that determine profitability. How smart would it be for airlines to just open their books to the public?

Of course, this has been pointed out MANY times on this forum, yet you maintain AC continues to cut back on 'profitable' routes simply to spite Montreal. I don't know what will convince you otherwise, maybe a high school degree would help?

"I know you think I don't have anything, right? You just think I'm some guy who doesn't know what I'm talking about"

Noise, for once, I agree with you 100% on that one  Wink/being sarcastic
buhh bye

yyz717

Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:54 pm

Noise, how can you determine when a route from YUL is 'doing well'? Do you have access to the load factors, yields, scheduling costs, depreciation?

As for FLYYUL, Yes ok, Neil is right. There is no shortage of flights to YUL.

In fact, the only flights that Montreal deserves is to Toronto, other than that, nobody travels from here..

Stooping to unnecessaary sarcasm Mark? Very constructive.

flyyul

Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:45 pm

Neil,
'
There is no sarcasm intended, didnt I previously tell you that you know everything, and that your word, is as good as anybody else's?

Now does it bother you that Montreal may actually get a new route? Does that offend you? Or perhaps you would note that in the last few thread, you have single handidly start each Montreal/Toronto confrontation. So it perhaps it seems you are employing a defense mechanism.

But under your logic in previous threads, its as if Montreal doesnt deserve one flight other than a few feeders to Toronto. Maybe its because Montreal is poor, dark, 3rd world like, ugly women, or poutine.... you've come up with elaborate reasons, so in turn, you MUST be right!!!!!!!

And to lynman, your in denial. Perhaps you view staistics from statcan, or Dallas' airport authority, or maybe even the actual NOrthwest Pars reservation system as "third party statistics".... so again nothing in your mind is factual or has any validity, so its like running into a brick wall with you. But your another one, so lets not even bother  Big thumbs up

Mark
P.S Hey Neil, dont wanna burst your bubble, maybe not even Uncle Milty's, but Austrian is actually doing well in Montreal....... Could you believe that?

Marco

Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:44 pm

Load factors do not determine profitability. Yields, cargo, large contracts and other factors count as well. If a route is not profitable, then any North American airline, wouldn't hesitate to drop it, this is a free market!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Noise

Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:39 am

Guys, can't we all just agree to disagree, and continue to discuss about a potential NW MEM-Canada route?

lymanm

Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:27 am

I am in denial???? hahahaha, FLYYUL, you are the definition of someone in denial! And i'm not talking about the river in Egypt...

The ONLY, repeat, ONLY source for how much each passenger pays per seat (and thus, an individual route's profitability) at Air Canada is...Air Canada. Not Noise, poking around on itn.net. Not you, bumbling around in your NW trainee computer. All of us here have pointed out to you (and Noise) time and time again how irrational and illogical your arguments with objective, realistic points of view. Yet you continue to mutter on about an AC conspiracy against Montreal.

Good god man, GIVE IT UP!

I am continually surprised that an airline employee can know so little about BASIC airline stuff, here...
buhh bye

flyyul

Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:11 am

Lynamn what you know, is a fraction of what I know about whats going on in Montreal's situation.... you are an observer, and have no back-up to even tell me I know "so little about the aviation industry"..

You have undoubtly shownthat you are the ultimate connaiseur along with Neil..

Mark

lymanm

Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:29 am

The very fact that you float these ludicrous AC conspiracy theories tells me all I need to know. I *really* hope you're just trying to get a reaction out of all of us, otherwise, I'm deeply disturbed that supposed airline employees can be so ignorant.
buhh bye

Noise

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:21 am

Why are we arguing? We do this all the time! Can't we all just agree to disagree and stop this stuff? I hate it, it's ruining the forum. This was a very good post and I hate to see it get spoiled like this.

westjet_8

Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:30 am

Calgary could use a flight to Memphis, I mean we don't have any eastern seabord links at all.
Canadian. RIP 1999

Noise

Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:56 am

I think before Calgary gets a route to Memphis, they should try to get flights to NYC, but then again, Calgary does pretty well with flights to the midwest. I was also surprised to see that YWG was listed, but not YYC. I think it's because they want to use the CRJ, and I don't think the CRJ can be used on a YYC-MEM flight.

flyyul

Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:31 am

Never did I accuse of a conspiracy, so obviously your over-reacting... once again..

Mark

C-GRYK

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:02 pm

Cut the crap boys, it's a worthless argument.

Jeremy
Think before you type!

Rai

RE: YYC-NYC

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:13 pm

Actually, AC did have a flight from YYC-EWR about ten years ago. The flight was dropped due to low yields. HOWEVER, due to the success of the YVR-JFK route, AC was thinking of launching a YYC-JFK flight prior to 9-11. Those plans have since been scrapped. Not sure what's going on now.

flyyul

Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:06 pm

Anyway I think Memphis would be a solid addition for NW in Montreal and Toronto..

Mark

yyz717

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:33 pm

Yes, Mark.....you did have conspiracy theories about AC.....I can dig them out if you like......the same threads where you called me a racist I recall.

Anyway, I see YYZ-MEM working with a daily CRJ, but not YUL-MEM...the amrket is too small.

Noise

Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:41 pm

Neil, you'll be surprised what can work here. I was skeptical about YUL-CLT, but in the end it was great, but the flight was cancelled because they were being delayed at YUL all the time, therefore passengers missed their connections. Same with YUL-IAH, but the loads are doing better now.

The YUL-CLT route has about 26 people a day flying it before they introduced the route, and to my amazement, it did well. Now I know Memphis is a different market, and yes, it is small, but with the connections........who knows.

I'm pretty sure there is a better chance of a YUL-MEM flight than a YOW-MEM flight. YUL is no. 2 for NW, YYZ is no. 1.

flyyul

Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:58 am

Yes Neil,

The market is way too small, once again your right. Forget that Memphis is a HUB and the flights will be operated by CRJ's. Also forget that NW have the exact same number of flights in Toronto and Montreal.

Since you and pretty every other yYZer has mentionned, you pretty much thinking its a conspiracy.... Im not envoking this, but my position is best demonstrated by my friend Carribb (Doug Bull).. Neil I urge you to read this in full, and not let it go and pretend nothing intellectual was written..

In response to Marco:

Hi Marco

That's exactly what most people here are saying. Try looking at some of the old posts to get a better understanding for the general opinion on this board. Not everyone here thinks alike.

I think what irks people is that Air Canada is the overwhelming dominant carrier in this city. They use that to their advantage. Now that they've taken over CP there is no local competition for them face.. so for instance a route like YUL-FCO was easily cut and all passengers funneled through London or Paris. This helps makes the 3 international routes AC flies to from here a little more profitable and the load factors a little higher. In effect they can now only operate nonstops to the 3 big Euro hubs and leave additional secondary expansion for Toronto. Previously they didn't have the size or clout to abandon routes with such ease because there was often another carrier who'd just fill in and take over the nonstop market. Tel Aviv was another good example where Air Canada used it's scheduling to overwhelm El Al and effectively push them out of the Montreal market. Once done they dropped the YUL route and started funneling us through Toronto to get to Tel Aviv.. They did a similar push to oust Wardair out of Birmingham England from Toronto way back in the 80s and then dropped the British city. It's a strategy used over and over again and because Montreal is not their main concern we end up losing the carriers to Toronto's advantage. Mark is correct on that point but yet it is not obvious to people outside the city. It is also a logical thing to happen given YYZ's hub status and Air Canada's strategy. It's also correct to say that a city of 3.5 million people should not have to be subjected to that. Nor should the laregest ethinic community in Montreal, Italians, not have a scheduled nonstop service to their homeland while smaller immigrant communities have successful niche routes to theirs. That's why I suggest avoiding YYZ and Air Canada, use the competition and therefore encourage the local competitive market. It's not an anti-YYZ or anti-Air Canada strategy on my part, just a pro-Montreal one.

From Montreal now Air Canada's strategy seems to be to code share to most of the routes where existing carriers fly to/ from Montreal. So not surprisingly there are Star Alliance code shares to Athens (Olympic), Prague (Czech Airlines), London (British Airways) and Amsterdam (KLM) for instance. They did the same for Bucharest (Tarom), Madrid (Iberia) and Moscow (Aeroflot) before those carriers left the city. The aim, most likely to take market share away from them.. weaken them and push them out of the city so they can take over as much, if not all of their market and funnel the passengers through Toronto, London and Frankfurt. Who's the odd man out here? Paris. Why? Air France is formidable competition to Air Canada. There is no Star Alliance partner there for conenctions either so their market share is more vulnerable. What have they done? Not surprisingly added a flight. The competition stimulated the market and Air Canada actually reacted positively to it.. the first time on an overseas route since the CP take over. If ever Air France left Montreal I'm bet my last dollar Air Canada would reduce frequency on the route to one flight a day again.Sadly though where ther eonce was competition there is little left here anymore. Both to Europe and the USA. From YUL only London, Paris, Miami, Laguardia, Newark, O'Hare, Boston and Philadelphia have true competitive environments (Star Alliance vs Oneworld (LHR, MIA, ORD), SkyTeam (CDG, LGA, BOS), Wings (EWR via CO so kinda Wings, ), US Airways (PHL, LGA)).. and now Toronto with Jetsgo. Air Canada only expands or upgrades service when hit competitvely so until a new carrier comes in little effort is made to stimualte existing markets. New carriers resist coming to Montreal knowing Air Canada will protect it's market share and has the clout to do it.. so we are left with less carriers but of those remaining most are solidly entrenched and doing well.. enough to keep others from splitting the pie up into smaller pieces.

I've been saying that here to a few members of the board since it began. It's an embarrassment to all of us. But like I said to people here - you don't have to reply. No one is forcing you to and in reality why should we care what you think or you care what we think? If we are both secure in our city's airports, what they can do, it's potential for growth etc.. then does it really matter who has more flights or routes? It's not a competition. Why don't we just stop it?... No one's changing their opinions and I get the feeling that's it's become more of a "let's get the other guys going" type of discussion.. a forum for everyone to vent their anger...ps: a waste of time.

In either case new airlines serving either city can help stimulate a market and help us both. It brings people to Canada and both Montreal and Toronto are the country's two most important destinations and the two closest cities people are likely to visit. So instead of bashing one another we should be seeing that reality instead. We should be encouraging each other not bashing one another. A simple example is what Mark D said, why can't some flights stop off in YUL on the way to Europe? If the market is there why make us go to YYZ to get it? Amsterdam, Rome and Tel Aviv being the best examples.

Lastly though, you say you are glad YYZ is such a success. Fine, me too. However I never hear you guys say that you are glad Montreal has made a come back of sorts and you are glad we are getting our act together? Instead it's always put downs as if you are putting Montreal "in it's place". Why? That's the attitude that angers people here and that's why many of the younger guys react so harshly to those threads. I don't see why you'd dump on fellow Canadians like this? We aren't a big powerhouse in this world and together we are stronger... so a little encouragement won't hurt and it would be welcomed and appreciated so long as it's not patronizing. So in the words of Rodney King "Why can't we all just all get along?" LOL...

Regards

Doug

Mark

Noise

Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:17 am

That was a very nice post by Doug, and thanks Mark for posting it on Airliners.net.

Neil, Slawko, Jeremy, and the rest. Montreal will never be like Toronto. It is a Montrealer's dream that we become as big and prosperous as Toronto, a dream that will never come true. I guess in some ways we envy you guys, but you don't have to put down our fair city, just like we shouldn't out down yours. Why can't we all just settle down and get along, and encourage one another and the cities we live in. I hate arguments, it ruins the topic and the forum.

yow

Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:22 am

A simple example is what Mark D said, why can't some flights stop off in YUL on the way to Europe?

For the same reason why YYZ-Europe flights won't stop in YOW or YQB or YHZ. What that reason is, I don't know other than YYZ losing nonstop status of some of its international flights.