Lan_Fanatic
Topic Author

LanChile To Australia And New Zealand

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:05 am

From July 1st LanChile will begin the new transpolar route from Santiago (SCL) non-stop to Auckland and Sydney, with their new, shining A340-300s, codesharing wiith Qantas.
Finally LanChile will retake what is their's...Lan was the first airline to cross the south pole (yep...wasn't Qantas, neither Aerolineas Argentinas), and now they will lead this route, because nobody beats Lan down here.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Jonsson

you aussies and newzealanders should be proud of receiving this chilean condor in your lands  Smile

AeroArgentina

RE: LanChile To Australia And New Zealand

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure AR was first across the South Pole, 1980 with a 747. I know LAN didn't have 747's till a lot later and their 707's could not have made it.

Jj

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:08 am

I'm afraid that Varig and Aerolineas beat Lan....

Jj

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:12 am

It's aerolineas the one that first flew the polar route. Or Lan had a service before????

OH, and the condor is already in Australia.... only difference it's Lima victor....

MIAspotter

Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:37 am

Taken from the Lan Chiles' Inflight Magazine of May-June 1999 (yep I still have it!)

"In December of 1956, the company set a world record in commercial aviation history when it flew over the Antarctic Territory"

I cant wait to see some nice shots of that Lan Beauty in SYD!

Go Lan!

Cheers

MIAspotter  Nuts
Nos vamos de Vueling?

AeroArgentina

Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:04 pm

What plane did they use?? Was it a scheduled service? Maybe AR had the first scheduled transpolar service.

Lan_Fanatic
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:27 pm

Lan was the first one, with a 707. They had a scheduled flight, but it didn't last too much, because economy wasn't going well. They even flew to Fiji!
So please, wash your mouth whenever you speak about Lan hehehe  Smile

Lan_Fanatic
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:35 pm

By the way, you argentineans don't know how to loose...Lan beats Aerolineas, and Varig can only beat Lan in terms of size, but remember that Braziliann population is 10 times the chilean one, so its obvious that you need a larger airline.
And! do you know which is the largest latin american cargo airline? BINGO!
LanCargo!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Noret

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Paulsen

ZK-NBT

Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:59 pm

I can't wait to see those beautiful A340's in AKL! A pity they will be here on weekdays but still I will find time to see them!

Why does it say on Aerolineas Argentinas site that AR was the first airline to fly over the South Pole on a regular scheduled flight with a 747 in 1980?!

LatinPlane

Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:24 pm

How old are you Lan_Fanatic? Don't be so petty... You really don't need to try prove anything. Relax...

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

lanperu

Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:45 pm

Lan_Fanatic: Althought I have to agree with you that LAN is a great airline, you seem to make it sound like it's the best there is and best there was ( as far as Latin America goes) The truth is that LAN was a bad airline before the privitization, they weren't that great. People would have rather flown Aerolineas Argentinas instead of LAN in the early 90's and before. The History of Latin American aviation began long before LAN became a great carrier. Exactly what will LAN "retake" ? I just don't understand why you must be so arrogant. I am Peruvian and proud of it too, APSA used to be a better airline than LAN, true that the Peruvian airlines today SUCK, but there is no need to say that one single airline is the best. I might say that Aero Continente is better than LAN, but is it? NO! Many people consider QF a better airline than LAN, just ask any Australian....see my point? I know you are proud, but let's be realistic LAN is just a really good Latin American airline. Size has nothing to do with it, I have had family fly AR, RG, MX, Aero Peru, and others, notice how LAN wasn't on that, that's because LAN used to be no better than say, any other Latin American airline. And, Cargo? Well when Aero Mexico rolls into Madrid with their "shining new 777s" they will cary more cargo than LAN will.

Don't get me wrong, I am Chilean too, and very happy to say it too. So don't think this is a whole thing against Chileans. If Air France served CDG-SCL who would the people want to fly? ( Especially the French) It's all about nationalism.

LatinPlane

Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:27 pm

LAN PERU:

Applause!

In General:

There is nothing wrong with being just a bit proud and nationalistic about your airline. Each one of us hold their own national airline in our hearts.

LAN is a great airline, but you don't need to try to step on anyone's toes to prove that. I've also seen other LAN-CHILE enamored people here who wanna sound too "creme de la creme" (goody two shoes) bragging about LAN.

I admire the airline, it is definitely achieved great things. It took great business skills to get it there not magic. But don't use a low-class and childlike (I'm better than you) argument to make it sound good. I'm certain that everyone can agree that it doesn't need that kind of backing up and support. Besides, using petty nonsense and an "I'm too good for you attitude" has an adverse representation on your country. So, I wouln't suggest for you to use that method.

Smile LatinPlane

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

parisien

Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:35 pm

hi, what kind of traffic is the airline focusing on ? i know that theres lots of Chileans living in Australia.....is the airline targeting this population or ....?

duff

Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:38 pm

Guys. There is a difference between the South Pole and the Antarctic Territory. Looks like it's all in the wording  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

VirginFlyer

Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:33 am

What are the frequencies/timings for this service? Do they have traffic rights for SYD-AKL and v.v?

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

lanperu

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:05 am

Lan_Fanatic: No hard feelings  Smile make sure you respond to my " South American Aviation Enthusiasts" post.

I think it's great that LAN is serving SYD and AKL, I can now go RTW with oneworld and have seamless travel. I can go to all continents! I think it would be nice to fly LAN to Europe, but I must admit that if they got the 772 would have been much nicer  Smile. I am also very happy with LAN Peru, but I woul like to see some international routes where the plane actually says " Lan Peru". I would also like to see Lan Peru fly LIM-MAD-FRA with the 763s in Lan Peru colors. Maybe it's too much to ask for, but hey, it never hurts to dream.

AeroArgentina

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:51 am

I don't understand how a 707 could make it across the antartica when even AR's 742's need a technical stop in Rio Gallegos. And in December of 1956 I seriously doubt LAN had any 707's. I really want more info on this route.

BTW well said LanPeru and LatinPlane

Lan_Fanatic
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:17 am

Ooooops seems I was a bit arrogant. I'm sorry folks.

About the first transpolar flight, it departed from Santiago and made a technical stop in Punta Arenas

My 2 cents

Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:50 am

I would LOVE to fly over the south pole and Antarctica anyday! Especially on a massive 747!

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:52 pm

Guys,

LAN have been planning this for some time. I'm pleased it has finally come about as now I will have a direct flight to Chile' so I can go skiing in Portillo!

Lan Fantastic! Go Lan Chile.

*yay* (Lan Chile is one of my favourite livery's)

mb

ArgInMIA

Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:24 am

Just a memory
Alto.. Mucho mas alto.. hasta la cumbre

cx340

Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:59 am

LanPeru

"Well when Aero Mexico rolls into Madrid with their "shining new 777s" they will cary more cargo than LAN will"

Let's hope you have a prophet's mouth!!!

Crosscheck

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:25 am

I have heard a rumour that Qantas is pulling out of EZE, because they don't have enough aircraft to operate all the services they want to, and EZE as the lowest performing route had to go. They had wanted to switch their South American services to SCL, but still faced the same problem, lack of aircraft. With an up turn in traffic across the Pacific to the USA, Qantas needed to redeploy much needed aircraft else where.

Step in Lan Chile.

From what I've heard this flight by Lan Chile SCL-AKL-SYD is only a temporary arrangement. When Qantas have received the 6 additional 744er's, they will take the flight over, and Lan Chile will then codeshare on the Qantas aircraft. Supposedly it's all been decided upon, and Qantas will then feed passengers into Lan Chile's South American operations.

This is true co-operation between Oneworld friends.

PS This is only a rumour I've heard and could all be wrong, but I thought people might be interested.

Thanks

ZK-NBT

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:57 pm

QF's last flight to EZE is this Friday!!!

This has nothing to do with lack of aircraft, the situation in Argentina is really bad and obviously not profitable for QF to sustain it! AR will still operate EZE-AKL-SYD!!

As for Lan Chile only being temp I no nothing! As far as I no all of QF's 744ER's will be deployed on North American routes,
AKL-DFW
MEL-LAX
SYD-LAX

thats what I thought anyway.

Crosscheck

Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:43 pm

While it's right that Qantas wished to pull out of EZE due to the economic situation in Argentina, they did want maintain a presence in South America, and to make better us of their Oneworld Partner Lan Chile.

However with the withdrawal of services to EZE, Qantas are now able to return the MEL-LAX-MEL non-stop services to daily. This service was reduced partly due to a lack of aircraft.

Qantas also plans to have PTV's fitted in all their 747-400's by Jan/Feb 2003, so maybe this has warranted more aircraft offline than they had first thought. I guess this also explains the extended lease of VH-NLH.

As I said this was only something I had heard on the grapevine, so we will have to just wait and see if Qantas operate to SCL or continue to codeshare with Lan Chile.

Thanks

ZK-NBT

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:11 pm

QF have done this before though not due to lack of aircraft though, it is the lowest season down under in May June!

VH-NLH has been used on the EZE services since April! Also QF used Kangaroo configered 744's to EZE rather than pacific ones before NLH was used on this route!!

I know they could be an aircraft short though with PTV's been fitted!  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos