n4khgirl
Topic Author

What if.....

Tue Dec 15, 1998 5:26 am

I was just wondering,,,,

What would happen if you were an airline pilot and you crashed a plane (and lived to tell about it)?

RE: What if.....

Tue Dec 15, 1998 5:34 am

If all passengers survived and the crash wasn't purely my fault, I wiuld tell the story to people emphasising how COOL I was :).

If there were some casualties or it was purely my fault, then I wouldn't be very keen on explaining the story in too much detail...

That's what Social Psychology assumes I would tell. And I have to say the assumption is almost correct.

n4khgirl
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 1998 6:17 am

I guess I would do the same thing too

Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:28 am

I am not planning on crashing so I have not thought of that!
Iain

Why don't you ask....

Tue Dec 15, 1998 1:47 pm

Why don't you ask Captain (something) Haynes of that
ill-fated United Airlines DC-10 flight that crashed at Suix City?
Although many died, some did survive and he was
looked at as a hero. I believe after the accident, he retired.
Can you blame him?

Tue Dec 15, 1998 8:20 pm

Thank god its never happened to me but I can tell you what happened to a friend.
It was a cold, snowing winter night here in NY.
The runways were clogged with slush and ice.
Into their takeoff roll the Capt. saw that they would never reach flying speed with the runway remaining.
He aborted the takeoff but because of the ice on the runway, unfortunately he was not able to stop the aircraft before it went into the bay off the end of the runway. He survived. Every pilot knows that if you do survive an incident, you are to immediately call your union, Airline Pilots Association, and make no comments on the accident until a you have spoken to a union lawyer. The union advised him to go home at once and say nothing. At the scene, all the police, fire and emergency units are looking for the Capt. When they found out he left the scene and went home everyone was outraged. Here this poor guy is doing what the union told him to do and everyone wants to hang the guy. He lost his job. Its not a perfect system and it needs changes but every pilot knows. You say NOTHING until you have spoken to the union and its lawyer has arrived on the scene. It sounds cold and harsh but your career is on the line and who can you trust? Not the carrier thats for damn sure.

Wed Dec 16, 1998 5:32 am

Well first I would tell everyone what I knew about the crash and if people critidize me then I'd pretty much retire, which is the honourable thing to do.