KCLE

MD-11 In Knoxville Yesterday

Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:08 am

Did anyone see it?? I was very curious to find out if anyone saw the DL MD-11 that flew into Knoxville, Tennessee yesterday, around 2:30 PM. Why am I so curious? Because I was on that MD-11! It's the first time I ever seen an MD-11 up close and the second time I've flown in a widebody, the first being last Saturday in a DL 767-300.

The MD-11, flying as flight 112, MCO-ATL, was diverted to Knoxville after weather shut down ATL yesterdayfor a half-hour. We were flying the holding pattern for 40 mins yesterday and then had to refuel. We landed hard and fast in Knoxville and never actually stopped on the runway, we just kept rolling, reversers and spoilers and flaps "hanging out" and turned off the runway at the other end that we landed on. We took every foot of that 9000 ft. runway we could.

Take off was interesting. After getting refueled by two fuel trucks, as the first ran out of fuel, we taxiied back to 23R and took off with about 1000 ft of runway left.

Did anyone witness the MD-11 in Knoxville?

SSTjumbo

RE: MD-11 In Knoxville Yesterday

Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:56 pm

Could those two runways there even support such a large aircraft normally? check out and see what I mean, unless I'm thinking the wrong way.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:00 pm

Yes SSTJumbo, TYS can easily handle an MD-11.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

hkgspotter1

Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:05 pm

The MD-11 can land on a very short runway, I see the FX MD-11's use only half of the runway when landing in Hong Kong.

As for the take off, The MD-11 is very powerfull and will need not much runway for a short flight. You should see the FX, LX and CI MD-11's when they depart Hong Kong, we even saw a FX climb to 3000 feet and still over the airport island !!

cointyro

Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:19 pm

You said you were going from Orlando to ATL and were diverted to Knoxville? That doesn't make any sense to me - I would think you'd divert to an airport closer to ATL than Knoxville. Could be wrong...

KCLE

Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:51 pm

The weather was all screwed up I guess. The pilot first said we would divert to Montgomery, Alabama, then he said Knoxville. Then he says that if we get to the airport faster we will be the crowds of diverted aircraft that will need refueling. At those words he threw it in full throttle and we headed for TYS. I had my camera out ready to get pics of the "crowds" of planes that would be following us, and as soon as we turned off the runway the pilot comes on over the speakers and says "ATL has just re-opened. We still need to refuel however."

So, I didn't see any kind of crowd whatsoever, but I did get a nice pic of the KC-135's at the Tennessee State Guard hangar.

MD88Captain

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:16 pm

Knoxville is a standard divert field for ATL. It's around 20-25 minutes away with a long runway and Delta personnel to handle the divert.

When one guy is diverting for weather then usually everyone else is also. Most outlying airports will be totally overwhelmed with 5 diverts plus its regular traffic plus those aircraft that were trying to leave but got stuck with a ground hold due to weather. So when everyone is diverting because ATL is closed, ideally they will go to many different divert fields. Knoxville, Birmingham, Columbia S.C., Nashville, Chattanooga, etc. It usually means a major operational goat rope.

KCLE

Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:42 pm

That's right. The pilot said we would divert either to Birmingham or Knoxville, not Montgomery, I don't know what I was thinking.

jhooper

Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:20 pm

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why don't they carry an extra hour's (or so) worth of holding fuel (beyond the minimum required by FAA) when the weather is looking foul? An MCO-ATL hop should give them plenty of notice of what the weather is expected to be like in ATL and they could plan accordingly. This wouldn't actually cause them to land too heavy, would it?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.