f.pier

An Intercontinental Ryanair. Would It Work?

Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:59 pm

I imagine an intercontinental no-frills airline.

Only one type of aircraft, 330-300 or 340-600.

Based in London it would connect it to New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyi, Seul, Bombay, Sydney, Melbourne.

Bookings only on the Net, point to point connections, low level airports (STN would be the main hub) where possible, no PTVs, no food, no entertainment. All tourist class.

I'd fly that Airline!!!!!!

777236ER

RE: An Intercontinental Ryanair. Would It Work?

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:02 pm

no PTVs, no food, no entertainment. All tourist class.

Not for 9 hours!
Your bone's got a little machine

HUYfan

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:09 pm

IF they did, they would have pay-for-view PVTs and pay-to-eat meals. All tourist class, yes. I also doubt that they would fly to well know destinations, more like seconday cities such as Macau for Hong Kong, Canberra for OZ and Fort Lauderdale or similar for Miami, Burbank for L.A. BUT, i doubt this will happen in the next 5-10 years.

regards

mike

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:22 pm

Interesting, although I don't think so.

For one, costs would shoot up, what with navigation and landing fees, amongst many other charges. Ryanair keep costs low by keeping their airplanes in the air, and completing as many cycles as possible in 1 day.

And apart from this, yes, many people don't mind Ryanair for short Euro flights, but I have my doubts as to how popular they would be on long-haul runs, especially given the main airlines already offer very competitive fares on popular routes.

And of course, by the time I get a job and become rich  Big grin I will never fly Ryanair again--first class, all the way!!

(Well, I might still fly with low-cost airlines if the times and airports are convenient...)

In short, no.

Regards

f.pier

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:31 pm

if I had a lot of money I'd fly Ryanair, I wouldn't have any problem.
They use new airplanes and I don't need all the frills (this is my own opinion).

If I flew a longhaul no-frill flight I'd bring some sandwich, some Coke can and I'd enjoy my 12 hours flight!!!!!

donder10

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:35 pm

It was called Laker Airways

VirginFlyer

Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:59 pm

Or PeoplExpress; both went pretty much the same way... I think charter style airlines are as close as you would get to this sort of thing.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:16 pm

It depends on what happens to Aer Lingus, in my opinion. The long-term prospects for Ireland's flag carrier are not promising. Ryannair is a successful business because its operating model works well. If Aer Lingus goes under, I could see Ryannair leasing several widebodies (either directly from Aer Lingus or its leasing agents) or somewhere else (there is a glut of aircraft on the mkt right now) and starting a no frills service to North America (particularly Ireland's key US gateways, New York, Boston, and possibly Chicago). The flight times between Dublin/Shannon and NYC, BOS, and ORD are such that PTVs, warm delicious airline meals, duty free, and other frills really would not be missed, but Ireland is also an important business market and as such, any successor to Aer Lingus must provide a premium cabin. Ryannair could simply replicate Aer Lingus' product, put it under a different cost center, or outsource as much of the catering and services as needed. It could work, but they would need larger planes than the 737-800 to fly to the US. These planes have the range but the US-Ireland market demands a higher capacity aircraft, particularly in summer.

ContinentalEWR

donder10

Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:26 am

There is more chance of Sri Lanka winning the rugby world cup than there is of Ryanair flying passengers in business class accross the Atlantic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos