lanperu

Can I Buy This Airline's "Name"?

Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:50 am

Now that Aero Peru is dead, I was wondering if it would be possible to buy the name and logo. It's too bad that it failed, but the name/logo should go on...where can I find out about buying the "name" ?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Pries

PacificFlyer

RE: Can I Buy This Airline's "Name"?

Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:32 am

Go to court. Or else Aero Mexico. Actually no clue.

MONARCH

RE: Can I Buy This Airline's Name?

Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:39 am

Hi,

I was wondering this aswell! I have no clue, but would it be possible to buy the old Britannia logo???

Best regards

Monarch  Smile

notdownnlocked

Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:52 am

At the LIM airport there are still lighted AeroPeru signs as well as painted signs as if the airline was still around. The wall around the airport has AeroPeru markings also. Maybe you could check around there.

Mexicana757

Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:55 am

i think you would have to go to Aeromexico, or lets say Cintra.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

baec777

Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:10 am

Can you really buy an airline name after whatever happened to them, can it go back into business...?

Western, Eastern, Braniff Int'l., NEA, etc...

I don't know you can do that. What does the court have to do with buying an airline name after it deceased services......?

baec

sllevin

Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:31 am

An airline's name and logo are considered an asset that is typically sold off to generate money for creditors (since few airlines simply close up shop owing nobody).

Other times, if an airline is purchased by another, the owner might later sell the name off (as I recall, Delta bought the Frontier name and some assets when the original Frontier collapsed, then sold it to the current Frontier).

Steve

jfk747

Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:32 am

Its considered intellecual property... You could write to the bankruptcy court trustee.. or just wait for the trademark to expire and register it

LatinPlane

Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:50 pm

You can definitely purchase a bankrupt airline's trade symbol. Pan Am's blue globe was purchased from the estate of Pan Am for around $1.2 million dollars by what became Pan Am 2.

LanPeru

I don't believe that Cintra (AeroMexico's parent company) has anything to do with the brand anymore. If you remember correctly, AeroPeru came very close to being relaunched by a private group along with the ex-employees of AeroPeru. However, the plans fell through. They even went all the way to leasing a 737 for several months that never took off. So this group is now the owner of AeroPeru's name and logo.

TANS Peru, the government owned airline of Peru, was also interested in purchasing the rights to Faucett's name brand. Faucett was one of the oldest airlines in the region that suffered the same fate like AeroPeru. The plans to acquire the name also fell through. Would have been nice though.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Mexicana757

Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:44 am

I think its a good a idea to buy a name of an airline that is no longer with us. Nice to take the airline back into the sky. I would buy Eastern Airlines name if i had the money, but i dont.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Another airline name that would be cool to purchase would be TAESA, the mexican airline that went bankrupt.

I miss seeing this airline in the skies.  Crying

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer