cba

Swiss Airlines & SN Brussells Airlines

Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:27 am

I have some questions concerning these airlines. I understand that shortly after September 11, Swissair and Sabenawent bankrupt and ceased operations. Now, we have Swiss Airlines and SN Brussells Airlines. Both are basically clones of their predecessors, have an almost identical livery, but slightly different names. Same planes, etc. So they are basically just the same airlines operating with different names? Couldn't they keep their old names? And how exactly did they get the money to start over. Could somebody give me a full, in depth history on the transition from Swissair and Sabena to Swiss Airlines and SN Brussells Airlines?

Spitfire

RE: Swiss Airlines & SN Brussels Airlines

Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:51 am

Sorry Cba,

Already developed hundreds of time on A.net forums. Always ends very flamebait between Swiss guys and ex-Sabena or Belgian. Make some search and you 'll find some parts of the real story.
Rgds.
Spitfire
Sabena ... Never to be forgotten (12 years already , what a shame !! )

swissgabe

RE: Swiss Airlines & SN Brussells Airlines

Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:18 pm

I agree with Spitfire, just search...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

gerardo

Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:45 pm

I don't know the details, how DAT became SN Brussels. As far as I remember, it was more or less the same, as with Crossair, mainly an airline based on the former regional airline under SN (DAT -> SN Brussel Airlines, Crossair -> Swiss International Air Lines).

Let's have a closer look at SWISS. After the grounding of Swissair, the SWISS government injected a few mio CHF (don't remember the number right now).

Then, after looking at all the possibilities, it was clear, that Swissair wouldn't survive, but only with some bn of CHF. The other possibility was, to go under "Nachlassstundung", which can be compared somehow with the chapter 11 thing in USA. UBS and Credit Suisse, the 2 iggest banks in Switzerland bought Crossair from SAirGroup. The SWISS government and private companies invest around 2 Bn Swiss Francs in this project, which had as goal to build up an intercontinental airline based on Crossair. The Swiss government also reserved about a bn CHF to guarantee the Swissair operations until 31. March 2002. Since then Swissair doesn't operate anymore.

SWISS can't use the name Swissair due to legal consequences. FIrst of all, the SAirGroup is still the owner of this brand and they want money for that brand. SWISS on the other hand didn't want to pay that much for that name. Another reason for not to buy this name are legal problems associated with the bankrupcy of Swissair. That case, SWISS would have to fear to be forced the depts of Swissair. Even so, there will be legl problems, as seen in France for example.

Hope that helps a little bit and this post was WITHOUT ANY BASHING in any way.

Regards
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

Sabena 690

Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:48 pm

Same fleet? Swiss has A32F, A332, MD11, soon A340, turboprops and indeed some Avro's.

I suggest too that you do a search to avoid wars. You will find more than 10 topics about Swiss, Swissair, Sabena and SN Brussels Airlines.

The next discussion (or war  Wink/being sarcastic) will be if all the facts are known of the investigation commission.

Regards,
Frederic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos