Kuba74
Topic Author

Differences Between A/c Of The Same Type?

Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:24 pm

Hi,
I`m wondering if the pilots flying on the specific aircraft type can notice any differences between the particular aircraft of the same type? Let`s say an airline has fleet of 10 B737 and some of them are OK but one seems to cause more problems with it`s operating and is not pilots` and mechanics` favourite.
Do things like this happen?
Kuba

broke

RE: Differences Between A/c Of The Same Type?

Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:17 pm

Generally, if all of the airplanes in an operator's fleet were bought from the manufacturer and they were received over the period of a couple of years then they will be pretty close in their configuration. But, if it is a large fleet bought over a long period of time then differences will occur. These are generally related to improvements or corrections due to reliability problems. With software driven components, the flight crew will see difference between the earlier and later airplanes. If an operator buys airplanes from the used plane market, then there are likely to be considerable differences between, what seem to be, like airplanes. Manufacturers offer many options in the systems and engines in order to attract as many customers as possible. It's these differences that make a mixed fleet (airplanes built for difference operators) more complicated to operate and maintain.
An airplane that seems to have more than its share of operational and maintenance problems is called a "Hangar Queen". It spends more time than normal in the hangar being repaired. Depending on the operator's philosophy and resources; they may tolerate the situation, they may direct effects in to determining what, in the airplane, is the root cause of these problems and correct them, or they may sell the airplane and pass the problems on to the next guy.

flightsimfreak

RE: Differences Between A/c Of The Same Type?

Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:54 am

I can tell the differance between Skipper 3857J and Skipper 3849Y. 57J is a year or two older, and the pre-flight is different (nav antenna in different place, no external power plug, and others). Also, 3849Y provides a little bit more thrust on takeoff, but her throttle lock is way too tight, and I can never get the correct feel. 57J's oleo strut is a little lower than 49Y's making 57J's T-tail just out of my reach (I'm 5'10"). 49Y has an updated avionics package. the major differance (you don't have to be a pilot to tell) is that 57J is red, and 49Y is blue. (<---- had to add some sarcasim).

The other thing is that I can almost never grease 49Y on as I can with 57J.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos