Lekky-Man
Topic Author

Noise Restrictions.....

Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:54 pm

Am i to assume that the US has alot less noise restrictions than the EU?

When I was in the states about a month ago, i notice a hell of alot of B727's and old B737-200's, many of which were Delta shuttle examples in MCO, and they didn't seem to have hush kits on them.

Then just now, I see a pic of John Travolta's repainted B707 departing from LAX - was it making it's original noise i asked myself?

Anyone have any offerings?

Cheers,
LM

brons2

RE: Noise Restrictions.....

Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:27 pm

All aircraft operating in the USA must be stage 3 compliant as of 2000. There are loopholes however.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

NewSwissair

Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:34 pm

I the U.S. there are a lot of hushkitted Stage II aircraft and they are flying every day. I love these old birds like 727, DC-9,... In Zurich we have also a daily flight to Belgrad. Jat flies this route with DC-9-30....and 722.

dc863

Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:51 am

JT's 707 appears to have been hushkitted.

broke

Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:28 am

There are two relatively economical methods to make a non-stage 3 airplane compliant to the stage 3 noise restrictions.
1. Install a hush kit that reduces the perceived noise level.
2. Reduce the operating weights of the airplane and/or use reduced flap setting to reduce the perceived noise level.
Re-engining is much more expensive and so far the DC-8-70 series (110 airplanes) has had the most success with this method. Would you believe that the '70 series will also meet the proposed stage 4 levels? Installing navigation and communication gear to meet the new requirements in those areas, especially in Europe, is the tough one for these birds.

The reason that I use "perceived" is that is how the rule is written. If you can either fly with a lower power setting for the same speed, fly at a higher speed for the same power setting, or climb out more quickly; your perceived noise level will be less. Also, engine out performance is checked; so a 3 engined airplane is easier to make stage 3 than a twin. i.e. 727 versus DC-9.

NewSwissair

Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:45 am

That`s very interesting. I noticed that a lot of the 727 in the US do not have any hushkit, but they meet the stage III level with less thrust during the take off. That`s a very good idea! The difference in Europe is, that all older aircraft must have a hushkit. No other methods are allowed. Exceptions are the Russian Il-86 and Tu-134. They were allowed to fly until December 2002.

timz

Zat True?

Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:47 am

Are there 727s flying in the US with no hush kit at all? Any idea whose?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos