FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Corsair Collision At Lax!

Tue Sep 28, 1999 2:35 pm

A Corsair 747SP collided tonight at LAX with what looks to be a dump truck. The plane had damage to the right wing, as well as severe damage to engine #4. The 300 Tahiti-bound passengers were deplaned there on the taxiway, and will resume the trip tomorrow.

FLY777UAL

pandora

RE: Corsair Collision At Lax!

Tue Sep 28, 1999 5:45 pm

God!!! I was amazed when I heard this two hours ago!!!! The Corsair Boeing 747SP rego is F-GTOM. Two engines are seriously damaged-lucky no one died!!!

Tue Sep 28, 1999 5:57 pm

I saw that plane land only hours before it's 1am departure. I don't know how this could have happened. The area that the collision occured is an area that has been detoured for months now. it is on the taxiway by UAL maintenance. At this point the planes turn off the taxiway and onto the apron. However Corsair plowed through all of that ( guess they didn't see the line of red lights on the taxiway!) I saw pics on the news though, engine 4 was completely torn open all the way back, past the fan section. The semi truck was completely destroyed as was a Ford Explorer.

I was wondering. A few months ago a Corsair 747SP had a ground collision with a Thai 744, the Thai winglet hit the SPs aileron and took out a wedge. I was wondering if it was the same Corsair 747SP.

FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 1999 10:47 pm

Ya know...they really don't seem like the safest airline to fly on!

FLY777UAL

Wed Sep 29, 1999 1:40 pm

I was watching the aircraft taxi past, amazed that the L.A. airport authorities had opened the taxiway so fast!! Not so. It was in fact the same aircraft involved in the earlier incident, however it was a Philipine Airlines 744 that hit them. In Corsair's defence, that one was no fault of theirs. Co-incidentally I watched that one happen as well!

A330

Wed Sep 29, 1999 5:10 pm

Let me assure all of you that Corsair IS a safe airline, with qualified crew and good maintenance.
Why is it that some Americans only think that their US carriers are safe, while in reality, European airlines often have better maintenance, and the best possibly trained crews...
Ground collissions happen all the time, no big deal.
Planes are not made to manoeuvre on the ground, pilots often can't see the wings from the cockpit. Combine this with an unfamiliar environement, and an incident could be in the making.
Shiek!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos