Continental
Topic Author

Being A Volunteer

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:47 am

Every year, I am always on a flight that is overbooked, and then they ask for volunteers! What do you get if you volunteer? Plus, is there an age limit. Because usually the flights I'm on that are overbooked, I have relatives right in the area, so is there an age limit? Thanks if you help!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Continental

KKMolokai

RE: Being A Volunteer

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:59 am

Continental,

It all really depends on the situation at hand.

On AA, when I'm working an overbooked flight, and find the need to solicit volunteers, I first offer a travel voucher (amounts vary) good for future travel on AA, AA Eagle, and/or any of the oneworld partners. I also offer confirmation on the next available flight to the passenger's final destination. Depending on how long the wait is for that next flight, I will also offer a meal voucher.

In the event I wind up not needing that volunteered seat, I usually try to at least upgrade the passenger to First, as a "Thank You" for volunteering.

Hope this helps answer your question.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Continental
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:01 am

Wow, I am so volunteering next time!

Continental

VirginFlyer

Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:15 am

When returning from the Cook Islands a couple of years ago, traveling with my family, we were in the situation where the flight was overbooked. Air New Zealand offered to put us on the next flight out of the Cook Islands, which went to Tahiti, pay for our accommodation in Tahiti, give, I think, NZ$500 expense money, and fly us PPT-AKL the next day. Needless to say, we jumped at the chance, but unfortunately there were enough no shows that they could fit us all onto the 737-300. Oh well, easy come, easy go...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

jhooper

Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:20 am

You asked about age limits. I'm pretty sure unaccompanied minors are not allowed to volunteer, but you wouldn't fit into that category since you are at least 13.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

broke

Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:48 pm

Most people don't realize that if they are unable to board a flight due to some problem caused by the airline (overbooking, mechanical failure, crew member not available, etc.) and the airline cannot provide an alternate flight (it doesn't have to be the airline you booked with) within a period of time (2 hours domestic, 4 hours international) then they owe you some money. I believe it is $200 domestic and $400 international. The airline is still responsible for getting you to your destination.

Continental
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:47 am

Opps, I better update my profile, I'm actually 16. That really sucks, I can't volunteer yet. :-(

Continental

flyboy36y

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:18 am

16 is not considered an unaccompanied minor. Oh, if I voulenteer off a flight from JFK and the next flight is from LGA, would they transfer me?

prosa

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:34 am

I heard several overbooking announcements in the WN concourse at BWI today as I was waiting for a connecting flight to ISP (having flown in from PBI). The offers all seemed to be next-flight-out plus $200.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"