zebfly2

1st Pic Of Bwia A340 T/o @ LHR

Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:51 am

Here it is:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Garry Lewis

I don't care what anyone says. This is a beautiful aircraft!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

zebfly2

RE: 1st Pic Of Bwia A340 T/o @ LHR

Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:54 am

Here are the other 2 pics:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Garry Lewis

View Large View Medium

Photo © Garry Lewis

Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

voodoo

Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:55 am

Somone suggested that the engine nacelles would be re-painted (from Air Canada white) to the BW grey-silver. I think that would be a good touch.
Personally I would go for bare metal engines like the Tristar  Smile .... but that would be a bit retro and perhaps not possible on these CFMs.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

EGFF

Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:17 am

Congratulations Gerry, fantastic pics from a fantastic photographer!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Keep up the good work, all the best
EGFF  Big thumbs up
All together or not at all

EastCoast

Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:25 am

Awesome photos! Under pressure and hits three perfect photos!

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:39 am

An absolutely stunning looking plane and colourscheme!!  Wow!

I've gotta go to LHR and see it for real!

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

BWIA 772

Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:29 pm

OK I must say it is stunningly beautiful. There is a full page ad in the Businesss Monday in Barbados and I must say the first pic of the 340 makes it look bad. Eventhough I give a thumbs up I would love to see it on a 777 in the future.

Why cant they go bare metal ( the steel pan is chrome finished most of them why not have the same effect on the egnine get this effect0
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

will miss the L1011 Tristar 500 over 20 years of legendary service may the 340 follow in the foot step of the first of the widebodies and the last of the 3 engine type
Eagles Soar!

hkg82

Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:53 pm

It looks beautiful but I still prefer the BWIA colour scheme on the L-1011. Have they retired all their TriStars or are they doing it progressively as they receive more A340s?

Hkg82.

9Y-ISA

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:13 pm

For the time being they will keep them until they receive the second one in November. I can't see them being with the airline in 2003.

hkg82

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:18 pm

So they have 2 L1011s? 1 of which has been replaced by the A340 & the other will be replaced when they receive their next A340?

Hkg82.

Panman

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:41 pm

There is one main reason you wont see bare metal engines on the A340-300. Mainly because half of the engine would be bare metal, the other half would be an unpainted composite structure. The propelling nozzle isn't metal. Maybe on the A340-500/600 with those big ass Trents.

The engines will be painted before the end of July I have been informed (probably when it goes in for the 600 hour check).

I believe they have three L1011's still, though one is in no condition to fly (can you say spares?). I could be wrong, haven't been home in months.

paNMan

9Y-ISA

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:51 pm

Seeing that the A340 is online now, I don't know if they retired one of the L1011 yet. They currently have 3 L1011 but one (9Y-TGN) is stored at Piarco airport since early 2001. If they did park one up now I would imagine it would be 9Y-TGJ because just recently 9Y-THA went undergo some heavy maintenance. But then again the Manchester route will commence in July so Maybe the 2 L15 may stick around!!! That is if Manchester is a whole different route from the Heathrow one!!

Panman

Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:12 pm

Good to see I was right about the L1011s. TGN is still outside the hangars minus engines right, while poor old 40D is in the desert. Seeing the picture on airliners.net brought a tear to my eye as I did many flights on 40D.

Since the MAN route is going to be served by Tristars then I can guarantee that the two of them will remain in service for a while still. Main reason being obviously the MAN route, but also the A340 will be down for at least half a day when the 600 hour check is due, and that would mean a L1011 would have to cover the LHR route. The alternative being no flight - and that wouldn't be popular with the passengers.

PANman

David_itl

Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:50 pm

The MAN service will have A340s from November.

David

BWIA 772

Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:04 am

What will be done with the Tristars, could teh airline use one as a cargo plane or that would be to expensive.
Eagles Soar!

Reggaebird

Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:37 am

Sorry to say it but....that bird is still butt ugly in those colours!!

Panman

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:19 am

It's amazing how whenever this topic of BWIA A340's is bought up all the Jamaicans seem to get a serious inferiority complex. It's understandable though, you have to live with being a Jamaican and the stigma that is attached with it.

It's thanks to you there isn't a Caribbean Federation as Jamaica voted against it in the 60s.

paNMan

9Y-ISA

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:47 am

Well said PANMAN!!! You are a "rude bwoy"

abhi

Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:24 pm

did anyone see this plane at yvr when bwia i guess received it from air canada ? it was sitting on gate for a while and then it was towed to a remote stand .. dont know where it went after that .. dont know why the big deal of it going to london .. it was in vancouver way before that .. someone must have seen it !

Panman

Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:59 pm

It was in Toronto, Port of Spain, Barbados before it was in London, so what's your point Abhi?

I guess next time I see a thread about an airport in Canada I will come on and post a highly irrelevant post asking what's the big deal. Remember that series of threads, "What do you think about Y** airport". Boy were those lame.

In fact hey why even bother having these forums? What's the big deal about a bunch of cylinders that go whizzing through the air?

PANman

trintocan

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:02 pm

Ah yes, the new A340! Lovely pictures Garry! The plane really looks magnificent. Hopefully I will get to fly on it soon and issue a report on it.

As far as the TriStars are concerned, 9Y-TGJ and -THA are still around (-THA just had the heavy check) while -TGJ is parked at the old Piarco terminal. TGN is also over there, minus engines and looking very sorry while 40D is in the desert as mentioned.

The ideal thing would have been to get pictures of the A340 and the TriStars at home in Trinidad but that is not easy - that airport is not spotter-friendly.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

TriStar500

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:55 pm

I have a question concerning L15 -THA, which just had a heavy check: does this mean that there is a customer, who is taking up the aircraft after BWIA has retired it presumably by year's end? It would not make much sense to shell out a lot of money if they could just cover the last few months with leased aircraft, e.g. the Yes Airways TriStar, which is flying for BWIA right now.

Thanks for any info!  Smile
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Panman

Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:45 am

So what you are saying is that until November when the second A340 comes online, they should lease an extra aircraft (which isn't free I might add) instead of carrying out a scheduled check and putting the ones they have back in the air.

Err, oooookkkaaaaaayyyyy!!!

panMAN

TriStar500

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:46 am

Er, AFAIK, the leased Yes L15 is replacing the BWIA L15 undergoing heavy maintenance, which makes me wonder, how "heavy" this maintenance is. Sounds to me like this overhaul doesn't benefit BWIA at all anymore, because the aircraft would be back in BWIA service for only a few weeks or months until November.
However - and that was the basis of my question - I was asking for some more insight into this decision, which is, based on the information I got at the moment, hard for me to understand.

Your answer is not very helpful in this respect, "ooookkkaaaayyyy"?
Maybe my question was misleading. Hope it has become clearer now.  Smile

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

BWIA 772

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:59 am

Who will operate them when they are checked.

To Reggae Bird U just dont like BWIA. Besides the livery that AJ has is some what like what BWIA had with brighter colours. BWIA has not follow the norm and that departure led to the elegant 340 pics in good light.
Garry great shot cannot wait to see one that shows the 340 just as it has taken off or about to. eg
View Large View Medium

Photo © Garry Lewis

Eagles Soar!

voodoo

Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:44 am

Trintocan wrote:The ideal thing would have been to get pictures of the A340 and the TriStars at home in Trinidad but that is not easy - that airport is not spotter-friendly.
---

Keep an eye open at planepictures.net Nigel Steele seems to have ramp photo access at Piarco and posts the results there.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

Panman

Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:58 am

Tristar500 obviously you do not know the nature of aircraft maintenance.

ICAO was set up by the Chicago Convention in 1944. There countries got together and decided to form an international organisation to oversee various aspects of Civil Aviation (hence ICAO - International Civil Aviation Organisation). The governments of the Contracting States (members) gives ICAO permission to set out some basic requirements for all aspects of Civil Aviation which the Contracting States then agree to abide to. The way this is done is for the Contracting States to incorporate ICAO recommendations into their LAWS. (In the UK the requisite instrument is called The Air Navigation Order and its Regulations (2002)). Part of these laws covers aircraft maintenance. In order for an aircraft registered in by a Contracting State to get a Certificate of Airworthiness it has to conform to a few standards. One of these is that it has a Scheduled Maintenance program that has been approved by the appropriate Government Body (USA = FAA, UK = CAA/JAA, France = DGAC/JAA etc). Aircraft therefore have to undergo various checks at predefined intervals or else the Certificate of Airworthiness is null and void. Without a Certificate of Airworthiness the aircraft can not overfly the borders or any lands of a Contracting State to the Chicago Convention.

Now with airliners the simplest of these checks takes place before every flight. The engineers check the oil levels in the engine, check the engines for any sign of damage, check the entire airframe for damage and clear any defects reported in the technical log (which has to be carried by all transport aircraft). You then have bi-weekly checks which take place obviously every other week where a more indepth check is carried out than the daily check mentioned above. You then have monthly checks which go into more depth than the checks already mentioned (some carriers call these 400 hours checks (Virgin) some 600 hours checks (BWIA) no matter how many hours there is always a monthly check done). At longer intervals you have A checks (aircraft is out of service for at least a day) , B Checks (2 days or thereabouts), C, checks and then the dreaded D check. C and D checks fall into the category of what is known as Heavy Maintenance checks. These require that the aircraft is withdrawn from service for more than a week - (I've heard of D checks lasting 6 weeks).

BWIA's Tristar is most likely undergoing either a C or D check (I can find out and let you know). If it is a D check then it also has to undergo an ageing aircraft check (the aircraft is more than 20 years old) where like the D check the aircraft is totally stripped and de-panneled and then NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) done to the airframe (gamma/x-rays, dye penetrant, magnetic etc).

Now we are in June (almost July), and you are saying it wont benefit them to do the check and put the aircraft back into service until November or even next year?

Ooooookkkkkaaaayyyy then!

PANMAN

TriStar500

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:42 am

Thank you for your information - that is exactly the information I was looking for, oookkkaaayyyyy?!? Big grin

mbj-11

Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:51 am

Uh...Panman which reputation are you talking about? Remember, we are the best known in the Caribbean for a variety of reasons, whatever they may be. You seem to have a problem if anyone criticises BWIA. The others don't seem to mind, but obviously you do.
If someone says the colours suck, that's their opinion. If they say it looks good that's also their opinion. It's stupid and nonsensical statements like yours breed animosity between people. If you can't handle people's opinions, go live under a PAN .....MAN.
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

9Y-ISA

Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:12 pm

Mbj-11, I also think you full of it. Any topic concerning the BWIA A340, you always have to bring AJ into it. That is what is making you look bias. Nobody is saying anything about AJ except you and Reggae bird. Someone ask the opinion on BWIA colours, NOT AJ... if your opinion make sense then and are given in the right topics then by all means but I don't really care about AJ. (oh, thats my opinion)

Panman

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:21 pm

Like was just stated, in the thre eor four threads that have occurred about the BWIA 'bus yourself and Reggaebird have seen to taken delight in posting (more than once in those previous threads) that the colours are this and that and posting pictures with AJ. It was blatantly obvious the first time what you thought, but then you guys start going on like a broken record. I finally get fed up hearing the same song from Reggaebird and the one time I say something it seems to have touched a raw nerve. Well tough!!

And no I don't have a problem at all if anyone critisizes bwee, it's been happening for years. Hell even I critisize them. The worst delay I ever had (eight hours) was with them. The worst service I ever got (after Air Canada) was with them. The flight attendants all seem to have a rocket up the ass.

You ask about the reputation. it seems to be a popular stereotype that whenever crime and a black person are mentioned most people instantly think 'Jamaican'. You like living with that stigma? How did that stigma come about ask yourself.

Do you like the fact that when an AJ flight arrives at Heathrow at 11:00 am, people are still waiting for relatives/friends from the AJ flight at 11:30 pm?? Why doesn't that happen to passengers on say a BA or BWIA flight . It pained me to see an elderly lady from Barbados whose husband just happened to be a Jamaican waiting that long in Heathrow. How did that situation occur ask yourself.

Did you like that fact that up until a few years ago, it was a regular occurence for AJ flights to be impounded in US airports because they were always finding weed on it? How did that situation occur ask yourself.

Do you like the fact that people are no longer surprised to hear about shootings and general civil disorder in Jamaica? That in certain areas in Jamaica the police have no control?

And then let's not even talk about Hedonism.

And you ask what reputation? puleeze!!

pANMAn

Hepkat

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:43 pm

Hey guys, I can see very clearly where this thread is heading. Panman, your above post just narrowly escaped being deleted, but I'd ask the unfortunate user who has to respond to please do so in a civil manner or this very lovely thread could end up archived or deleted.

For my part, I'm definitely biased in favor of Air Jamaica's scheme. I find BWIA's colors to be insipid and bland. And that tinpan, no matter how hard I try, STILL looks like a slice of orange to me! But regardless of what anyone feels about their color schemes, I fail to see how this translates into BWIA/AJ's performance.

BWIA 772

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:13 pm

I can understand what Panman is saying and although I think that what he said may seem harsh and bitter but he is merely staying the facts. I have heard that when on a AJ flight to the US that the passengers always got searched for drugs. At a conference last year (GYLC) there was a group exercise, which envolved the people in the group drawing the oput line of their country and then each memember of the group wrote something about the country. A girl from Jamaica was in the group and the only good thing that they wrote was Bob Marley.

Now to me that was not right, however Jamaica although it is not the best of places is still part of the Caribbean, and we as Caribbean people should protect our own. Until we realise that there would never be a single market and economy.

Now that we have passed that, Hepkat it is not the a slice of orange you know it is the last musical instrument that was developed last century and is still a work in progress.

Panman BWIA was not any better during the last decade. Better Walk If Able, But Will It Arrive and I mean still my friend on leaving the concference had a morning flight to Barbados so they would have arrived around 1 they got in Barbados at 9 in the night. Both airlines have had their share of horror stories.
Eagles Soar!

jm-airbus320

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:49 pm

Panman you seem to dwell on negatives. In order to get a point across you have to dig dirt and throw it as best as you can. Well I won't certainly degenerate this post into a Trini vs Jamaica war, as there is so much mud we could sling at each other, we'd all end up looking like fools. The bit about drugs isn't nice........why? Jamaica is located in an excellent location for Columbian drug smugglers and these guys use all the opportunities they can get to use people to get rich. If Trinidad was where Jamaica is in terms of location maybe you'd understand that. All the Caribbean is grappling with a drug problem, it's just that Jamaicans always seems to take the lead in anything whether good or bad.
Lets remain civil and not start "cussing out" each other. There are few of us loyal to the Caribbean and you can see that in some negative threads posted on this site sometimes. We should try and stick together not tracing one another.

Best Regards

Jm-airbus320

Panman

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:44 pm

Don't worry, Trinidad is giving Jamaica a good run for the money where drugs are concerned.

paNMan

9Y-ISA

Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:05 am

jm-airbus320,
I totally agree with your post 100%. Yes, Panman sounded harsh but I also can understand why he "brock out". For the past few posts about BWIA, reggaebird and mbj-11 keep on bringing in AJ this and AJ that when it was clearly un-called for.
You done know a Caribbean Man would not swallow that for long and would eventually explode. That is why I don't blame the man. Yes, it is true that "Caribbeans" should stick together but from what I could see, it is those 2 Jamaicans that is adding the gas to the fire.

Panman

Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:23 pm

Tell me about it.
Dey mash meh corn HARD!!

BWIA 772

Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:43 pm

The 340 has been exhuasted for now. I would like to hear what you all think about the "Teefing Complex" Piarco International. A billion dollar airport that leaks
LOL.

BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

Panman

Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:54 am

And don't forget hacing to dodge falling ceiling panels.

BWIA 772

Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:26 am

Does anyone if the Airbus has those nasty pink leather like seats in coach. Read the post on the dash 8 in the new livery. If you thought that the first pic of the 340 before these nice ones made the livery look like some drunk man had paint to waste you should see the dash 8. To me it hideous, like mass gon wrong it makes the livey look stink.
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:17 am

I do not know about the seats on the A340 or the Dash 8s as of now - I did not get the A340 last week (I got TriStar) and I have not flown Bwee Express in over a year. The green scheme on the Dash 8 (only 1 of 3 has it for now) made me think it was a Tobago Express plane I was seeing until I saw the title at the rear fuselage. It was OK but, thinking about it now, perhaps a little overdone, given how small the Dash 8 is. If the pan were only on the tail it would have worked out fine.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

BWIA 772

Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:34 pm

A388 has posted a BW AJ topic not a fight but a comparison so people come forth and give you comparisons. LOL
Eagles Soar!