VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Japan's Air Do To File For Bankrupcy - CNN

Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:41 pm

Was just on the airliners.net frontpage when I noticed this:

TOKYO, Japan -- Hokkaido International Airline plans to file for bankruptcy, seven years after its inception, sources suggest.

It would be the first airline to fail in Japan since the industry opened up in 1997. It is looking to restructure with help from All Nippon Airways, Japan's No. 2 carrier.

The airline is known as Air Do. Its troubles illustrate the difficulties of an upstart airline going wing to wing with Japan's entrenched carriers.

for more go to http://europe.cnn.com/2002/BUSINESS/asia/06/24/japan.airdo/index.html

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Takuji Sohmura

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

swissgabe

RE: Japan's Air Do To File For Bankrupcy - CNN

Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:11 pm

Very sad when I see another airline that could disappear... Where did they operate their flights. Where they focused on Domestic flights to Hokkaido?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

jsmith

Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:02 pm

Swissgabe

Yes - their sole route, as I understand, is the Sapporo-Tokyo (Haneda) route. The leases on their B767s (which are all supplied by Ansett Worldwide) were recently re-negotiated after the Hokkaido Prefecture government announced that it was no longer prepared to continue financing the airline's losses.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:47 pm

At the end of 2000 (wow, was it that long ago - I can remember that thread like it was yesterday!) they reintroduced smoking in an attempt to draw more people to them.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/337407/

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

swissgabe

Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:02 pm

Jsmith, thanks for the info...

VirginFlyer, since smoking is quite popular in Japan I think this was an excellent idea...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok