ont 737

HP To Pull SNA-SMF In July

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:46 am

I read that HP is about to discontinue their 5x daily SNA-SMF flights in July. Their spokesperson said that this is due to the route not fitting well in their hub and spoke route structure. No mention was given to that fact that WN has recently started that route 4x daily. Has anyone heard of this before? It seems as though airlines are very reluctant to say where they are trimming their schedules. I think that was their last route that HP flew that did not involve PHX, LAX, or CMH. The are also adjusting their schedule on PHX-SNA. Instead of having 6x daily mainline flights they are having 7x daily mainline and 4x daily with CRJs. Their 6x daily to LAS will remain the same.
travelin man

RE: HP To Pull SNA-SMF In July

Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:00 am

It was always an odd route in HP's route structure. However, when they had the monopoly, I'm sure it made them money. Now WN has forced them out (although I'm sure they'd never admit that).

RE: HP To Pull SNA-SMF In July

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:20 pm

You can bet money that it is all about losing their monopoly on the route. Average fares on SNA-SMF were higher than what WN now charges as their walkup fare. It made sense while it was a cash cow, but they probably need the capacity more at the hubs with yields on that route having dropped precipitously.