AA Consider Remove Meal Service On Dom. Flt

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:54 am

AA spokesman has confirmed that the World's largest airline is considering removing inflight meal service on the most domestic flights.

This is a part of a sweeping change to cut cost.

Todd Burke, spokesman for AMR Corp. said food was not exempt from cost-cutting consideration and removing meals on all domestic flights was one of many policies under discussion for slashing costs.

AA currently offers domestic flight meal service for 4 hours or longer. It costs AA $1billion per year on in-flight food and drinks in 2001.

Beverage service is expected to retained.

Squigee

RE: AA Consider Remove Meal Service On Dom. Flt

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:25 am

Anything more than two hours warrants a meal- less than that, save your money and go to McDonalds!
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

Krags

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:57 am

Is this the beginning of the end for "full service" onboard domestic flights? As long as we can take food onboard with us for long flights I have no problem with AA cutting meal service. However, at the same time the fares need to be in line with no frills carriers. If the big guys are going to cut out the frills then the fares need to reflect the changes.

DELTA777

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:59 am

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!! they did good with MRTC, but now they are acting stupid. Well, probably not financially stupid, but service wise. I`m moving to Midwest Express and JetBlue (If JetBlue flew near me!!!).

D E L T A 7 7 7

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:14 am

jetBlue is Awesome, AA rips AAss. The meal service cuts are expected on behalf of the morons at AA. You will recieve more food on AirTran probably then you would on AA. Like I said. AA Rips AAss
Puhdiddle

flyboy36y

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:33 am

AA better not cut food. It should brong it ack. I hope people from AA read this. They cannot act no frills.

flyboy36y

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:35 am

I hate this!!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!  Pissed

jfwjxn

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:36 am

I agree with Krags. If the big carriers want to drop things their prices should reflect it. I espcially hate it when you make a reservation, and it says you get a meal maybe even a snack (sandwich), and then they say "TOO BAD" HA HA!

triley1057

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:49 am

Cutting meal service is not a great way to win back customers. Other airlines such as Continental are using meals as marketing efforts to make their airline stand above the rest. I absolutely agree with Krags too. If they are cutting all the frills, then they need to match the prices of low-fare carriers.

Soku39

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:40 pm

I could just see the people whining already. So I guess more room=no food. Not a good strat if you ask me.... but no one did.

Is meal service in business and first still retained?
The Ohio Player

SegmentKing

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:28 pm

United just added back breakfast and enhanced First and Business meals :P

Try the airline that gave people MORE legroom FIRST! :P

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

KKMolokai

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:31 pm

Where is this info coming from? Sounds like rumors to me ...
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

captaink

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:39 pm

I gave AA a lot of points with the MRTC deal.. I actually started really loving to fly with AA because it was comfortable.. The limited food.. i.e. pretzels and soda was a bit irrating, but no food at all? Hello I will go back to the other sardine can airlines.. and eat... Hey i am not living on the aircraft so a little crampness aint that bad..
There is something special about planes....

JC5280

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:44 pm

Atta boy Segment King!

Thats exactly what I was thinking! And we are adding good food for b-fast and in First. Biscotti from Starbucks, hot breakfast sandwiches. This sure isn't going to help AA's fight for Chicago.

Type-Rated

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:44 pm

I heard from an AA F/A that they are going to try offering food service on "selected" transcon flights only. The others will only have beverage service. Maybe they'll just hand you a can of coke at the door.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

AA777-200

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:54 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020625/airlines_american_food_1.html

Yeah I guess its sad but true. I hope they dont go thru with this and they think before they act. I guess that if its something they have to do to save money for a while....so be it. Im sure it wont last forever. Im hoping they will just think before its done. Maybe they can just cut back and offer cold meat sandwhiches and a bag of chips for a while to save some money if its getting that bad. Just a thought....
Im sure were gonna lose alot of business if they drop meals.....lets just wait and see....
Brad

SegmentKing

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:03 pm

Just flew SFO-MIA on a United 777 with private TVs and no charge for movies, had tons of audio, including Channel 9 (live ATC).

Here are the coach offerings:

1. Beverage service with snack mix

2. Hot meal service... choice of lasagna (with MEAT!), or chicken and potatoes.. included a salad with choice of dressings, 2 milano cookies, and an onion bread stick

3. another beverage service with meal

1 hour later

another beverage service (full cans I might add!) and more snack mix

-nate

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:34 pm

Yeah, this would be expected. For you NWA haters all I can say is hahahaha. NWA offers food on their West Coast Flights in Coach. A friend said he got pretzels in place of a meal on AA ORD-MSY when he flew DTW-MSY around the same time on NW and got lunch, and this was 98. Pathetic. AirTran offers more food than AA. For those AA Lovers, y'all are a crying shame. Heck, you could expect more food on ASA EMBRAER-120 BRASILIA'S.
Puhdiddle

SegmentKing

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:36 pm

and Skywest offers more snack choices than mainline United on the west coast! :P

-n

AA717driver

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:47 pm

Maybe AA is planning to lower their fares accordingly. Many articles of late are trumpeting the death of the full service carriers. Maybe AA is simply getting on board early.TC
FL450, M.85

RickB

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:54 pm

I hope not - the last domesitc US flight I had which had no full meal service was a nightmare (okay it was UAL) the guy sat behind me brought a curry onboard in a silver container and then proceeded to eat it noisily. Dont get me wrong, I love Curry but the smell of it stunk the plane out for the whole flight and it was grim !!

Besides meal services aren't just about food IMHO, they also help pass the time during the flight.

RickB

flyboy36y

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:01 pm

I agree RickB. AA better not mess up like this...!!!

seven_fifty7

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:14 pm

--Uhhhh, don't start complaining *now,* people. For years and years, Americans have regularly bitched about "how bad" airline food is. And for years we have laughed at stand-up comedians' jokes and numerous television sitcoms poking fun at it. The result?......

From The Wall Street Journal, June 6, 2002:

"The customer doesn't value the food," says American Airlines spokesman Tim Doke, noting that plenty of people are choosing to fly rival discount carriers like JetBlue and Southwest, which have never served meals....

"The fact that Southwest and JetBlue get no grief for not serving food tells us that customers are helping to make our food decision for us," says Mr. Doke. American spent $778 million on in-flight food and drinks last year.

(Copyright (c) 2002, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

Pretty soon, none of us will be able to say which airline has "better food" than the other.

Hahahahaaaa. This is hilarious.
 Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

blink182

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:43 pm

Anybody notice how when airlines serve food, everybody complains how bad it is, and then when they drop the food service, everybody complains that they will starve?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

777gk

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:53 pm

"...don't know what you got, till it's gone..."

LMP737

Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:22 am

Hopefully more sensible minds will prevail at AA and they will keep meal service. Gordon Bethune said it best when he saying that you can eliminate to the point where no one wants your product. His famous pizza analogy.

BR715: I still haven't figured out why you have this intense hatred of AA.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:37 am

I have this hatred for AA because of their stupid Business Tactics. They say they are the most wonderful airline, when all they do is copy other airlines. COPY COPY COPY COPY COPY. Oh, JetBlue dont serve meals, lets do the same and COPY COPY COPY. Then they take the glory of it all. Look at LEGEND, SUNJET, and VANGUARD. They all suffered the effects of AAs Antics, and 2 of them collapsed. AA JUST PLANE SUCKS
Puhdiddle

goingboeing

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:43 am

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!! they did good with MRTC, but now they are acting stupid. Well, probably not financially stupid, but service wise. I`m moving to Midwest Express and JetBlue (If JetBlue flew near me!!!).

Midwest Express I can understand, but why move to JetBlue....they don't serve food either.

Boiler Special

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:23 am

BR715, I have it on good authority that AA is indeed not interested in copying Vanguard or anybody else's business plan. The fact is, they are the largest airline in the world and have no reason to go around "copying" everybody else.

Nobody should expect to be served food at the prices that are being paid now. Airlines would love to serve you food in exchange for a healthy fare increase. However, the fare increase has not happened, and may not happen for another year or two. In the meantime, costs need to be cut somewhere. AA won't be getting concessions anytime soon out of anybody, so the costs are going to have to be cut from somewhere else. This move is controversial and AA is just testing the waters to see what the response is from its loyal customers (not a bunch of a.net clowns) and its competition. It has hardly a final decision.

Since you seem so bent on not flying AA, why does this bother you so much anyway, BR715? You'll never have to endure an AA flight with no food if you aren't going to be flying with them anyway.

You want food? You'll still get it in the forward cabins. Fly up there. If you're flying coach, pick up something on your way to the airplane. Chances are that $2.79 Cinnabon you pick up will be ten times better than what the airline spends $5 to give you.

Another tip, can you drop the anti-AA crap from everyone of your posts? We understand that you don't like the airline, but you don't need to go around screaming about American everytime any press release is issued about any airline. It's getting really old, and it's really unnecessary.

LMP737

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:36 am

BR715:

Every airline in existence says they are the best airline that ever was. You accuse AA of copying everyone else. Let me point out a couple things to you. Who pioneered frequent flyer programs? AA did. Who created one of the most widely used computer reservation systems? AA did. Who pioneered yield management? AA did.

As for Legend, Legend killed themselves. They set up shop in the backyard of two major airlines, American and Southwest. In addition, Delta had a hub at DFW. SO from the get go they were having to compete with three major airlines. Three airlines with a loyal customer base and a frequent flyer program. If they had been smart they would have done what Midwest Express had done. Set up shop where no major airline dominated.

It also did not help that they spent extra money on used DC-9's. Legend spent money upgrading the galleys on those aircraft. The problem was that they could not get them certified in time. So in the beginning Legend had to serve their passengers cold meals. DC-9's are not the most fuel efficient aircraft in the world. That means they were vulnerable anytime fuel prices went up. Last but not least Legend did not have the financial backing needed to survive, obviously.

Sunjet? Could you be talking about Sun Country? If you are blame NWA for that one.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

flyboy36y

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:56 am

PART ONE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This move is controversial and AA is just testing the waters to see what the response is from its loyal customers (not a bunch of a.net clowns) and its competition

Many of us are loyal customers. I have been AAdbvantage member since 1994 and only fly AA if I can help it.

You want food? You'll still get it in the forward cabins. Fly up there. If you're flying coach, pick up something on your way to the airplane. Chances are that $2.79 Cinnabon you pick up will be ten times better than what the airline spends $5 to give you.

Cinnabons get cold on a three and a half hour flight. I'd GLADLY pay AA five dollars onboard to cover meals, but they should at least nbe there. It's a real pain to bring your own foodas it can get messy.

Another tip, can you drop the anti-AA crap from everyone of your posts? We understand that you don't like the airline, but you don't need to go around screaming about American everytime any press release is issued about any airline. It's getting really old, and it's really unnecessary.

I agree. BR715-A1-30 you need to quit your bitching. I am upset with AA bout this, but you find a way to bash AA in most of your posts and it is getting lame. You are also rude about it.

END PART ONE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PART TWO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In related news,

I emailed AA and told them this was stupid. I know they don't care but I wrote "tell Don Carty to give Bob Crandall a call so he can remind carty what it means to run an airline"

END PART TWO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:38 am

>>Nobody should expect to be served food at the prices that are being paid now.<<

Talked to my dad about it, his response:

"When AA stops charging me $1800 for a last-minute ticket to DFW, then they can stop serving me food."

Boiler Special

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:13 am

Flyboy,

I didn't mean to be all-inclusive. I, too, am an AAdvantage member (after the TW buyout anyway) and fly AA now most of the time. Comments from people like you are very warranted, I was referring to others that really were not.
I would guess after some of the response that they have gotten to this idea, it probably won't happen.

Lowfareair,

Point well taken.  Smile Too bad there aren't more people like your father willing to pay $1800 for a trip to Dallas, otherwise we wouldn't be in this situation.

wn700driver

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:31 am

Maybe it's the having grown up in Western Europe talking here, but I for one have NEVER complained about airline food. I think most people complaining about do so for the same reasons most people yak about the weather. It's a safe topic to pass thetime with that won't offend everyone in sight.

Cheers!
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

blink182

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:51 am

BR715-A1-30- For whatever reason, you find every way possible to b*tch about AA. You are allowed to dislike AA(just as I do Southwest), but you don't have to go around flaming AA in every topic that says "...American Airlines..." or "...AA...". First of all, it is immature, secondly, it is annoying as hell. Do us all a favor and stop your AA b*tching until you see a topic such as "Your opinions of AA" where it is warranted. Your post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic and was useless.

Now, back to the topic  Smile. I for one agree that American needs to cut costs and cutting meals are an effective way to do so. But, you get to a point where that Cinnabon gets cold and nasty and you eventually have to eat something. I think they should have changed the rule to flights 3 hours or more.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

vinovalentino

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:53 am

I have travelled extensively across Canada and around the world. The best simple solution to low-cost meals was short-lived Greyhound Air.

Greyhound had Kaiser sandwiches wrapped in cellophane. The only had a few varieties (but enough to offer vegetarian and non-vegetarian options). They would walk up and down the cabin and offer you a sandwich and a can of pop... There were huge advantages:

1)No cutlery (security issue) or plates to wash
2)No preparation time required
3)Low cost
4) You actually got a substantial sandwich rather than a miniature pita pocket stuffed with three flakes of tuna and half an olive (I actually long for the good old days when you got a microscopic pita pocket)

Then again... Greyhound shut down their airline after only a few months

Greg

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:59 am

Actually, eating domestically is not worth the hassle--unless upfront where you have a bit of room. But the food is still mediocre at best.

As long as there is some decent food establishments in the airport to grab something if I need it, then I wouldn't have a problem.

With the exception of transcons...people can go without food for a few hours. And the aisles would remain relatively clear of carts for a portion of the flight...

jfwjxn

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:00 am

Plane, and simple not very people like AA. I personally don't like AA but only fly them because of the miles. Thats how they lure people in, and the MRTC isn't bad---AA F100 seats 87 people. US F100 seats 98 people so it does make a difference.

flyboy36y

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:02 am

People complain about food in hopes of IMPROVIN it, not elliminating it!  Smile

flyboy36y

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:08 am

I fly AA because they are HUGE and and go everywhere I need to go. I also like their customer service. I'ts not that I love AA as a whole, but I think it serves US Domestic better than anyone else.

ILUV767

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:03 am

If they were to cut meals, I see two things happening.

1. No one cares, and other airlines follow with the elimination of food service.
or
2. The lack of food will really hurt American, and drive many passengers away. Not the low yield passengers, because we know that they dont care, but the ones that pay full fare Y class tickets and are still sitting in coach. If they are going to pay $1800 for a ticket on AA and not get food, but pay the same on UA and get food, I bet that they'd kiss AA behind.

So, it could swing either way.

Now, however, remember that the airlines did cut meal service on flights under 3 hours. Some airlines have brought "snacks" back on those flights, but not full meals. I know that AA still makes passengers pick up a bag of food in the jetway, on the SFO-DFW/ORD flights. Only the transcons get meals. Thats the case on just about any airline.

I L U V 7 6 7

AASTEW

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:39 pm

BR715,

FYI, AA has been around for 75+yrs. Never filed for bankruptcy!! They must be doing something right. Trust me it's not just luck that AA has lasted this long. AA has always had excellent business management skills. Unlike, many of the majors that have filed for bankruptcy. I.E Continental, Northwest, America West.

AASTEW

flyboy36y

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:37 pm

FYI, AA has been around for 75+yrs. Never filed for bankruptcy!! They must be doing something right. Trust me it's not just luck that AA has lasted this long. AA has always had excellent business management skills. Unlike, many of the majors that have filed for bankruptcy. I.E Continental, Northwest, America West

There have been many leaders at AA. C.R. Smith and Bob Crandall were great leaders. Don Carty is not. He's good, but still needs a "kick in the head, with an iron boot!"

Ilyushin96M

Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:06 am

Well, I fly with whatever airline offers me the lowest fare to wherever I'm going. When I have a choice - ie, when the fares are the same for Delta, American, United, Midwest, Northwest - I choose the carrier with the fewest connections and best times to fly. Most of the time, it's not American or Delta - they have fewer departure times from my nearest airport (MKE) and the times of day for flights aren't what I am looking for.

I've also started making my decisions based on the aircraft types on the routes I'm taking. After spending 2+ hours in an EMB-145 to Houston on Continental last year, I vowed I would not fly in that aircraft on a longer sector again, because it was very uncomfortable. I try to get an aircraft with full-sized seats and at least 2-2 seating.

Where food is concerned, if I can get to San Diego for under $300 round trip from Milwaukee, meal service is not too important to me. I've been spoiled by Midwest when I've flown them, because they are head and shoulders above every other carrier in terms of service and comfort for the money you pay for a ticket.

If American wants to eliminate food service on all of their domestic flights, let them. Personally, I don't think their nasty bistro bags or pretzels necessarily make their flights better or worse. However, they will run into problems on routes where other airlines offer a meal. American will need to reduce their fares to compensate for their lack of meal service; I don't see that happening, so the likely outcome is they will lose customers.