Dr.DTW
Topic Author

Should Americans Only Fly US Carriers?

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:57 am

I thought this topic would get an interesting discussion going.

Do you think US citizens should exclusively support US carriers when given the choice of a foriegn carrier, in times of economic crisis??

My opinion is yes. If I'm flying DTW-FRA, I will give my business to NW and not to Lufthansa. Nothing against this fine German carrier, but I would feel better about supporting my hometown airline, which needs all the support it can get.

B747-437B

RE: Should Americans Only Fly US Carriers?

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:12 am

Additionally, US carriers should only allow US citizens aboard their planes for security reasons. Yes, it may be inconvenient to others but the world has changed since September 11 and they should try to understand.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

travelin man

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:32 am

Absolutely not.

The "American way" is to let competition actually compete, and to choose the product or service that best meets his/her needs (comfort, price, schedule, ammenities). If a non-US airline happens to meet those needs, then fly that one. It's called Capitalism, and it's what makes America "America".

The Communist way of doing things would be to fly an airline from your country (regardless of comfort, price, schedule, ammenities), because that is the airline you are "supposed" to fly.

RMenon

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:37 am

I also think that in these times US citizens should only fly on US carriers that utilize US airplanes and US engines.

No more flying on UAL, NWA, US, Jetblue etc for continuing to fly A320's in these economic times; AA and Delta for insisting on RR Trent engines etc when they could just as easily replaced or re-engined their aircraft.
 Insane

jfwjxn

Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:43 am

I think that this topic is pure STUPIDITY. What if someone needs to get into inner Europe? Let's say Vienna...there isn't a US Carrier that flies into Vienna. Anybody who says this should buy products at the store that contain only US ingriedents, and are made in US factories. Stop using your computer RIGHT NOW! Because none of the parts are US made. There isn't anyway in the world we live in especially in the US that we can use only US products.

Dr.DTW
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:07 am

Jfwjxn

My question was simply if you were given a CHOICE, between two carriers who fly the SAME route: one a US carrier, and one a foreign carrier. I appologize if I didn't make that clear in the original post.

Examples: JFK-LHR, ORD-FRA, LAX-NRT, just to name a few. Several US carriers are in grave financial trouble, which places thousands of US jobs in jeopardy. Every route flow by a foreign carrier in this country is duplicated by a US airline. Should we stand behind our American carriers in these times? This was the question.

Going into Eastern Europe, or other cities not served by US carriers is an entirely differnt matter.

And I don't think this is a "stupid" topic. This poses a legitimate question, and Im sure we'll hear some opposing and interesting perspectives.

yow

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:18 am

Looking at this from a non-American perspective, I would fly on the airline that would provide the best value for money. Not the nationality of the flag carrier. Most of the world's major airlines are suffering right now, not just those in the US.

triley1057

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:19 am

Personally, I am going to fly whatever gives me the best service and best price. Given a choice between AA and Lufthansa, I would pick Lufthansa just because I like that airline better unless AA has a better price. Just being honest.

B747: That is the dumbest thing I have heard all week. Sorry, but it's true.
An airline that would allow only U.S. citizens to fly would be kicking itself in the foot by eliminating a lot of revenue from high paying international pax. Imagine the PR mess it would cause. What if every airline in the world did that? You certainly wouldn't be able to travel very far as an American citizen.

B747-437B

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:22 am

B747: That is the dumbest thing I have heard all week. Sorry, but it's true.

sar·casm
'sär-"ka-z&m
noun
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jaysit

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:22 am

Americans should also only eat American cheese when faced with a choice of American or Swiss on Hamburgers.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:44 am

Given equal value and service, I always fly on the airline of the host country. Which means I always choose the non US carrier.

Sorry guys, but why fly NW to AMS when I can fly KLM or UA to SIN when SQ is available? The non US airlines, for the most part, make a person feel welcome. UA, AA, NW and DL have nice enough people but they just miss that little extra bit of welcome.

If I were truly lucky I'd be winging my way to Geneva on a Citation X right now. Sadly, my significant other won't ask her boss to let me on board. She's afraid that I'm "too countrified" for the executive set. Hell, I offered to bring an extra case of beer.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:03 pm

It could only be the Americans to come up with a topic like this !!

Do you guys think your airlines provide great service ?? .... THEY DONT. I would take almost any carrier over a US carrier, the service is better and for sure the staff are better. What makes me laugh about ** most ** of these kind of topics is they come from young Americans that have never flown anything other then a US carrier !!

I've flown UA, DL and NW and they provided NOTHING to make me fly them again. (Well DL had a 727 that made me fly them !!)

The sad thing these days is why would anyone want to go to America ?, its an amazing place (Been twice) but hell why would I stand in massive lines, having my shoes and underwear checked to get in ??

I'll give it a year or two before I go back, I want to see Yosemite National Park again.... AMAZING.

ripcordd

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:11 pm

i just think we should fly any airline whenever and support the travel industry.
But i think we as american consumers should buy more american products. And as Airline CEO"S they should support Boeing to keep some of the 30,000 employees at boeing who got laid off. Maybe iam narrow minded but as an american we should be more concered about our fellow americans first. Those 30,000 laid off boeing wont be flying anytime soon without a job so airline ceo's should think about that before they buy their next plane.

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:16 pm

After 30+ years of flying American carriers, I think I've done my share! That's why I'm looking forward to flying Virgin when I go to Europe this year.

Dr.DTW
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:24 pm

Hkgspotter1 said: "The sad thing these days is why would anyone want to go to America ?"

And a few sentences later he said: "I want to see Yosemite National Park again.... AMAZING"

Hmmmmm...possibly a bit of schizophrenia??

crazyboi

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:25 pm

I'd have to say that I feel there's no value in supporting an inferior American product (I'm not suggesting that all US airlines are bad, but my experiences on Intl carriers have been much better).

For example, why would I reward United, who I feel haven't been treating their customers very well, when I could invest my money in a better travel product.

--> This whole concept is flawed, because it assumes that an airline is inherently worthwhile (worth preserving), because it is American. I'd much rather see carriers like Singapore or Lauda or Emirates take over US markets than give my money to a US airline in a merely patriotic effort. Capitalism is not just an American institution.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

PHXinterrupted

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:25 pm

Hey Hkgspotter1, don't bother coming to the US, because we don't need you.
Keepin' it real.

bobcat

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:28 pm

why should American presidents only ride around in American-made Cadillacs and Lincolns? The president should be able to have a 2003 Mercedes S600 Pullman... not the current crappy Caddy...

while we're at it, perhaps the next Air Force One should be the Airbus A380...  Big grin

Barcode

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:29 pm

Oh don't be so ridiculous. Stating American citizens should only fly American carriers does not increase safety standards. If you remember, the hijackers had American passports, as do many other undesirable types.

As a twenty something on a tight budget - I'll fly with whoever is offering the cheapest price. This year it has been Virgin Atlantic over American, and when I fly to Philadelphia in October - it'll be with whoever I can afford. I do not have the luxury of choosing who I can fly with simply because they are American or not.

MAH4546

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:29 pm

The day American carriers can provide service that comes close to the superior service that most European and Asian carriers have is the day I will fly them over others. I do think AA offers excellent trans-Atlantic service, and Delta is decent, but they still just don't compare to Swiss, British Airways, and others. Blame the American airlines for not having on par service.
a.

Soku39

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:34 pm

I allways go for the better value no matter what. Plus evey other airlines service is better than any American airline coiuld ever hope to be.
The Ohio Player

OA412
Crew

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:37 pm

No more flying on UAL, NWA, US, Jetblue etc for continuing to fly A320's in these economic times

You may be making a facetious comment but I have actually heard this argument made in a letter to the editor in our state newspaper. The author stated that he and his family would not fly jetBlue because of the fact that they fly the A320 rather than flying "American." The utter stupidity of certain people is amazing! Besides, I wonder if this guy has any idea that Airbus' are composed of many American parts while Boeings are composed of a great deal of foreign parts?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ripcordd

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:39 pm

i agree on the service aspect of us carriers vs forgein carriers...

crazyboi

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:45 pm

On the other hand, some people in this thred have demonstrated their ignorance by automatically dismissing the US, which hasn't really aided the discussion. I think that people --from everywhere -- need to bring a little more logic and respect to these forums.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:46 pm

OK, to those that missed my typo. I meant KLM to AMS, not SIN. I guess I could fly KL to SIN though. Might be a bit of extra travel though.

The point is that the non US carriers have service levels that NW or TW had 30 years ago.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

david_mx

Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:51 pm

Just fly the one with the best service at the best price. And leave that stupid and idiot arguments like "we don't need you", "we are the best", "American citizens on American planes", blah blah blah. Bull...

Business are Business if an airline doesn't give you value and you see other airlines that they do, give them your prize for their effort, buying their service. If they treat to you like cattle don't fly them.

David.

Arrow

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:21 pm

Americans should fly only on American carriers flying American-built planes?

Ask yourself what would happen to the world's economy if every nationality took that approach. That's how the depression of the 1930s got solidly entrenched, and it took a war to end it. Go read your history books, and look up the Smoot-Hawley Act and its global impacts. The scary thing is, the Bush Administration is doing this kind of stuff all over again with the lumber and steel tariffs and the farm subsidy bill.

By the way -- if you spend a lot of time in the US flying commuter turbo-props, or regional jets, you'll be waiting at the gate for a long time before an airplane built in the USA shows up. The vast majority of them are Canadian, Brazilian, or European.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

nonrevman

Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:44 pm

Cast my vote along with the best value or schedule crowd. If the fare and times are approximately equal, I might actually try the foreign carrier just to get a different experience. When travelling, I never try and take the exact same trip that has been done before. Travelling is about seeing new places and perhaps even trying new airlines when given the choice. Hopefully in the fall, I will get a chance to take a HKG-SFO flight as part of a big trip. ID-90's will be purchased on three airlines: UA, CX, and SQ. If I had my way, CX or SQ would be the one to take me back to the USA just to get a different experience. However, it will likely be UA simply because they are the first flight of the day and it would not be too wise to miss an opportunity to get home. Looking forward to it.

planeguy

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:03 pm

This topic takes the grand prize for STUPIDITY! We as customers have the right to choose and no one is going to decide what I should do.

US carriers don't even come close to providing the level of service found on European, Asian or some Latin American carriers. All too often I have had to put up with rude staff and Jerry Springer passengers when flying on a US airline. When flying on a foreign carrier I don't have to put up with that kind of riff-raff. Believe it or not, but in some parts of the world flying is still an experience and not another form of mass transit.

Call me unpatriotic if you want but as a consumer I'll exercise my right to choose thank you. Having to choose between United vs. Thai to go to BKK for instance would be like asking me whether I want to go to heaven or hell when I die.

jaysit

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:18 pm

Americans should only fly American carriers (and American planes).
The French should only fly the Concorde.
The British should only fly the Comet.
Germans can reintroduce the Hindenburg service to Lakehurst, NJ.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Spark

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:38 pm

In a word "NOOOOOOOOOO!"
I always get upset with this crap about being patriotic, and therefore accepting an inferior product. You should go with the airline that best serves your particular needs, and I would be travelling Internationally mainly for liesure (not too many teacher conferences in Asia, or Europe) and the flight would be a big part of it. Therefore I would be more likely to choose to fly a foriegn airline, especially since I would prefer to fly on a 744.
As far as US based airlines choosing Boeing over Airbus, most do. I like it when they do, but OA412 makes a good point. The planes actually come from all over the world. We live in a global world, and it is no longer possible to say "This is American, and that is foriegn." Even ownership is global!

lhuaaua

Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:41 pm

Hmmmm...now what should Americans fly if they only realized that not every part in an engine or plane itself is Made in America? I guess that would leave them at home or doomed not to cross the Atlantic but rather to use an American car and take the picturesque route via Alaska and Siberia! But an "American" car? Doesn't work, not every part is Made in America and then a "real" American engine would not even take you that far. :-( This whole idea of flying US carriers only is rubbish! I suggest supporters of these ideas better stay at home - not only are they also bad representatives of their country but it is scray just to imagine what else might be going on in their head.

Udo

Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:05 pm

Once more again it shows a very limited kind of thinking of many Americans...

The whole world should buy American products but the Americans should only buy American...stupidity and dumbness can always be topped in that forum...congratulations...

Ok, think about this: if you guys want to introduce a boycott of foreign products, then the rest of the world could react very well.

No more McDonald's, American Express, Levi's, Nike and so on...your whole f.... economy could shut down if the world thought that way...remember one thing: America needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world needs America and its products.

But what am I talking any more. Your underdevelopped brains don't get it anyway...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

hamad

Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:18 pm

gosh, so because an american carrier flies only airbus! people wouldnt want to fly them?
reminds me of a guy i talked to online for a while, whenever we get into a discussion he will talk about airbus and call them aircrap! i didnt like that.

now if Americans dont want to fly except American carriers, fine let them do that! who would care! to me if i get a choice between a european airliner and an American Airliner to fly let say from LHR to IAD, i would absolutely choose the european carrier! no need to explain why.

Americans have the attitude of "know it all" let alone the snotty attitude of many flight attendants on american carriers.
PHX - i miss spotting

ZRH

Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:25 pm

I think this one of the most stupid posts I ever read. Perhaps there are more Europeans flying US airlines than US citizens flying on European airlines. If everybody thought like this the US airlines would thank because the perhaps would loose passengers. Do you come from the middle of no-where (or the a.. of the world)? I think you have no idea of the international trade in our days. US economy would not survive without others (Europe, Asia etc.) and vice versa. It is the same nonsense when you say US airlines only should buy Boeing and European's only Airbus. In fact many parts of Airbus are made out of Europe as many parts of Boeings are made out of US.

keesje

Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:11 pm

This could be extended to only american cars, wine, food, holidays, etc.

No more Mercedes, Sony, Champagne & Harrods.

Man that would be a step forward ...

Insane

I heard some US citizens avoid US carriers, they feel more save with "neutral" airlines like JAL, KLM, SQ, Swiss ...
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

BlueShamu330s

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:19 pm

Great idea

US nationals fly only US airlines.

Let's see all the US carriers bleat at the next downturn or unusual event when the paranoid US travel market stop flying and US aircraft are flying nothing more than air around.

Stupid, xenophobic, protectionist clap trap.

Shamu
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:40 pm

GOD BLESS AMERICA  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

CX Flyboy

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:45 pm

If all Americans flew American carriers, do you think for a moment that the FA's would show appreciation of what you were doing? No. Would service increase a lot? No.

In my book, if they don't appreciate it, when why bother.

Marco

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:48 pm

hkgspotter1 grow up.

I don't usually fly on any american airline because the service is usually substandard. When I'm paying with my own money service is a priority and we all know american airlines are not known for their service. I'd take BA/LX over any american airline anyday!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Ryanair!!!

Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:53 pm

NOW NOW BOYS... HOW CAN A NW-BASHER NOT ADD ANYTHING TO THIS POST? AMERICA CARRIERS ARE FINE... SOME AMERICANS ARE USED TO THE KIND OF SERVICE THEY RECEIVE. THEY CONTINUE TO UPHOLD THE RELIABILITY AND SAFETY OF THE US AIRLINE WHILE NOT REALISING SERVICE SUCKS... AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEY WOULD SAY I HAD A GOOD FLIGHT.

SUCH IS THE EXPECTATIONS OF SOME PEOPLE TODAY... FROG IN A WELL. THINKING THE WORLD ONLY REVOLVES AROUND RED TAILS.

BLAH!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

eugdog

Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:35 pm

As a very pro-American Brit, I find that US Air and American are better then any European airline across the Atlantic. They have the most leg room, best entertainment (OK slight edge to Virgin and BA perhaps) and the best food. American Airlines is first airline to actually serve me with food that was really quite delicious!!!!

But it is a bad policy to only fly on your own national carrier - as soon as they have a captive market, service and quality go out the window (and fares go up!).

If you have been on EL AL you will know what I mean. Lots of Jewish Americans go on EL AL to do their "bit" for Israel - but EL AL return the complement by offering the worst food and service of any major airline. When checking in for an EL AL flight EWR-LHR many folks in skull caps thought I was mad because I was clearly "non-jew" choosing EL AL.

I also believe that in todays global market - national preferences have no place.

OO-AOG

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:08 pm

And should European only fly EC carriers? Is that what you call the land of free? Can't believe there's so much protectionist in the US, very sad indeed.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

Udo

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:14 pm

Just one more thing on the crap about flying only American airlines which use only American engines and so on:
That would mean you must nearly stop flying at all because almost all American carriers use many European parts on their aircraft, even the ALL-Boeing operators. Examples?

- American: B757 with RR, B737 with CFM (French SNECMA involved), B777 with RR, A300s, Fokker 100, Embraer (Brazil), Canadair (Canada)
- Alaska: B737 (CFM)
- Continental: B757 (RR), B737 (CFM), Embraer
- Delta: B777 with RR, B737 with CFM, Canadair, Fairchild-Dornier (built in Germany)
- Southwest: CFM all over

No you make BIG stupid eyes, ha?  Wow!

By the way, HKspotter certainly expressed irony, so no reason to attack him.

And I have nothing against the GOD BLESS AMERICA thing...as long as he bewares us of those nationlistic no-brainers in that forum... Laugh out loud

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

donder10

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:16 pm

Dr.DTW,
this is a free market issue.Until recently the US has been very pro-free market,very pro-compeitition.However Mr Bush seems to have gone back on talk of free trade etc-steel tariffs,farm bill etc
On the aviation side,if US citiziens could only fly US carriers you would have higher prices and less service leading to the carriers becoming inefficient but getting away with it through monopolistic pricing.,

swissgabe

Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:48 pm

Weird topic...

Should every Thai fly Thai, ever Australian only Australian Airlines, every Russian only Russian planes etc?

I could make a topic: "Should I as non US citizen fly US Airlines?"

Everyone should fly the airline he wants to fly...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Britair

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:04 pm

It is scary to see America thinking more and more along these lines in all they do and say. What is happening to the land of the free?

Dont worry though, just send all your BMW's, Airbuses and Champagne back across the pond......we'll gladly use them!

America, you make me laugh.  Smile

(i mean that in the nicest possible way!  Smile)

bmi

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:14 pm

I think everyone should be proud of their national airline and/or aircraft maker and should NOT spend time wasting breath on slagging off other countries products because at the end of the day no one sole country can be so good to do everything alone can they? The world works together in aviation eg Canadians/Brazilians make regional products Americans/Europeans make long haul products and the Russians make the deathtraps  Smile anyway you get my point....

Americans are very biased people, "Boeing are the best full stop" kinda thing, most posts like that come off people who are somewhat scared of the growth of Airbus or simply haven't been on an Airbus product whatsoever. gRoW uP!! Yes Europeans can I guess do the same from time to time but you have to say - when it comes to the crunch you Americans just take the buscuit!

So why can't you people just open you're eyes and realise that teamwork is the way forward? Biased Americans stop breathing my oxygen.

Markus

PS - No Russians were harmed during the making of this post..... exept the 100 just taken off in that TU154 from Moscow  Nuts j/k

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jakob Dahlgaard Kristensen
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sven De Bevere

lukebaker

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:29 pm

Of course everyone should be proud of their national airline but I don't see why you should only use your national carrier. US Carriers are far from perfect in terms of quality of product and therefore it would be far better to use a European Airline. I mean, who would fly NWA when you could fly BA, there is no comparrsion. B747-437B, do u believe that Europeans are going to blow your planes up? Should European airlines ban Amercians from using their aircraft?
If a donkey sings, would it fart?

lukebaker

Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:34 pm

Why would u want to support Boeing over Airbus. On short haul routes, Airbus has the far more comfortable and superior plane. Roylls Royce is by far the best engine company!
If a donkey sings, would it fart?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos