cmchardyfl

Strange R/W Obstructions

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:42 am

Hi Guys

I was just wandering if any pilots or airport personel have experienced any strange runway, taxiway or ramp obstructions. Ive heard of or encountered my own fair few.
I was getting lined up on R/W 30 at Stuart, Witham Field, when out of the corner of my right eye i noticed what looked like a beaver run under my right wing and start tearing down the centre of the runway. It took the tower a minute to understand what I was trying to tell them before they dispatched a car to chase the poor thing back into a ditch. A GV had to go around and all because of a beaver!!
After landing at Marathon Airport on the Keys, I was just exiting the runway when I noticed a back pack lying on the runway. God knows how that fell out of a plane as you would expect someone to notice if a door was open.
Finally, a friend from school was in the pattern at Pahokee when he noticed a large dark object lying in the centre of the runway. As he got closer, he saw it was a huge alligator basking in the sun!!
Has anyone else experienced strange obstructions. Please share.

Cheers

pmk

RE: Strange R/W Obstructions

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:05 am

I saw a deer once...

Leftypilot79

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:21 am

Couple coyotes.....but never an ALLIGATOR. My gosh...that must have been interesting. Does anyone have any pics of runway obstructions?

aaron

CX Flyboy

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:48 am

I've seen dogs, boxes, bit's of airplane, bricks (!).

cmchardyfl

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:32 am

I dont have any pics as whenever anything interesting appears and Im flying, the camera is never on hand or the circumstances arent ideal to get the camera. However, I do leave the camera on the right seat in order to get a quick snap of anything interesting. I started doing it after a few trips flying into Miami international in a PA 28! The amount of times I could have taken a fantastic air to air, or more idealy, the person in the right seat taken the pic are numerous. Normally I get vectored right out until the traffic calms down and I have seen fantastic aircraft pass by on a base leg for RW 9L or right. A very memorable LH 747 400 as just one of them!