cmchardyfl

Strange R/W Obstructions

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:42 am

Hi Guys

I was just wandering if any pilots or airport personel have experienced any strange runway, taxiway or ramp obstructions. Ive heard of or encountered my own fair few.
I was getting lined up on R/W 30 at Stuart, Witham Field, when out of the corner of my right eye i noticed what looked like a beaver run under my right wing and start tearing down the centre of the runway. It took the tower a minute to understand what I was trying to tell them before they dispatched a car to chase the poor thing back into a ditch. A GV had to go around and all because of a beaver!!
After landing at Marathon Airport on the Keys, I was just exiting the runway when I noticed a back pack lying on the runway. God knows how that fell out of a plane as you would expect someone to notice if a door was open.
Finally, a friend from school was in the pattern at Pahokee when he noticed a large dark object lying in the centre of the runway. As he got closer, he saw it was a huge alligator basking in the sun!!
Has anyone else experienced strange obstructions. Please share.

Cheers

pmk

RE: Strange R/W Obstructions

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:05 am

I saw a deer once...

Leftypilot79

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:21 am

Couple coyotes.....but never an ALLIGATOR. My gosh...that must have been interesting. Does anyone have any pics of runway obstructions?

aaron

CX Flyboy

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:48 am

I've seen dogs, boxes, bit's of airplane, bricks (!).

cmchardyfl

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:32 am

I dont have any pics as whenever anything interesting appears and Im flying, the camera is never on hand or the circumstances arent ideal to get the camera. However, I do leave the camera on the right seat in order to get a quick snap of anything interesting. I started doing it after a few trips flying into Miami international in a PA 28! The amount of times I could have taken a fantastic air to air, or more idealy, the person in the right seat taken the pic are numerous. Normally I get vectored right out until the traffic calms down and I have seen fantastic aircraft pass by on a base leg for RW 9L or right. A very memorable LH 747 400 as just one of them!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos