Qualifications For England Based Pilots?

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:28 am

I have English Grandparents so I will have no trouble in getting residency in England. I am hoping to go and live In England once I have done my pilot training. I don't know wheather to do a course where I get 1100 hours and a diploma in Aviation. With all type ratings up to ATPL. Or to go to a University and get a degree in Aviation with 250 hours and ppl, cpl and multi engine ratings. They are all the same prices. Which course would you recommend? Do English airlines want pilots with degrees? Or even European airlines?
Thanks Very Much In Advance
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 10:26 am

RE: Qualifications For England Based Pilots?

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:41 am


The British, Australian and NZ ATPLs are recognised as a degree in many countries.

I would go for a JAA approved frozen ATPL course which the Airlines do tend to prefer. I would think such Flight Schools as Oxford and Cranfield offer such courses.

If you decide to initially opt for a non EU license make sure its from a country with a similiar license structure as the UK CAA. Unfortunately, an FAA license is not one of those and armed with an FAA ATPL you will still have to take all the ATPL exams and CFT, Instrument check rides. I should say that that was the case a few years ago but maybe things have changed.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

RE: Qualifications For England Based Pilots?

Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:46 am

Is there only 1 person in this forum that can awnser my questions? Come on could some one please awnser my question.