BA "Benyhone" Was BCals New Livery?

Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:26 am

Wasn't the Benyhone tartan going to be the new livery of BCal before they were absorbed? I might be mental but I'm sure I saw an artists impression of some of their aircraft at the LGW South once. Anyone else remember this?

qantas744

RE: BA "Benyhone" Was BCals New Livery?

Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:35 am

I'm not sure of the history of the Benyhone scheme but I have seen elsewhere that it is linked one way or another to B-Cal.....so no, you are not mental.

It's my favourite World tail, and I'm glad that I had my best ever flight on a Benyhone 747, G-CIVZ!

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:08 pm

Come on folks, any info, thanks  Crying

cedarjet

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:16 pm

There's much more to it than that. The company who came up with the World Images thing for BA designed BCal's final livery, which was never implemented. The livery was predominantly white fuselages and a DIFFERENT TARTAN on every tail. Nice huh? That would have worked far better than BA's eventual spin, the World Images, because it would have had a theme and a real relevance to the airline, plus it would have looked incredibly smart. Mock up photos of the tails lined up at LGW exist.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Greg

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:17 pm

Yes, in a publicity brochure for Gatwick airport, they showed several BCAL's draw in this scheme. If my memory serves me correct, they were all identical with no variation.

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:18 pm

Cedarjet, thanks for quick reply. Any idea of where these photos might be on the net? Thanks again.

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:19 pm

Basteward - you're absolutely correct. In 1986, BCal's livery was getting a bit outdated and Adam Thompson decided that it needed a makeover. After a period of evaluation, it was decided that they would use tartan tails - the 'Benyhone' design being the first of many to be used.

The sale of BCal to BA cancelled those plans, and the design languished in Landor's cupboards until BA brought out their world images. Interestingly, because BA bought BCal's assets - including their new and unused livery - BA effectively paid twice for it!

CF-CPI

Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:01 am

I'd swear that shortly after Airways or Airliners magazine ran a feature on the BA World Tail colour schemes, someone wrote a letter to the editor and brought up this very point. In fact, if my memory serves me well, some small photos of the BCAL tails (tartans of different colours, as described here) were included. Sorry that I lack specifics but I'm sure I'm not dreaming (umm ....Wunala Dreaming ..... I sure do miss those tails).

Britair

Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:28 am

I would love to see those artist renditions! As long as they kept the rampant lion on the tail, it sounds fab. I miss B.Cal!! My dad was working for B.Cal when I was born, so I always considered myself a B.Cal baby!!  Smile  Smile Dad never forgave BA for gobbling them up, it almost caused a family rift when I joined BA myself!!  Smile

British Caledonian. We'll never forget we had a choice.

Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:20 am

Britair - unfortunately, the Golden Lion disappeared from the new corporate identity.

I too was a loyal BCal customer from 1975 to 1987 ... with membership of the Lion Club then the Chieftain Club!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos