Alitalia777
Topic Author

QF Frequent Flyer, Or UA Mileage Plus?

Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:54 am

Hello,
I'm currently indecisive on which frequnet flyer program to join. Even though I am an American living in the US, I chose QF as 'my oneworld option' because I could fly AA domestic and BA transatlantic. A couple questions on QF FF. Do you have to be a resident of Australia? Do you have to fly on an actual QF flight every so often? If not, the way I look at it is that in college I plan of going to Australia. I could fly AA from JFK-LAX, then QF to SYD on a A380 (that's what it will be when I go). It seems that OneWorld has control of the south east Asia markets, and on my breaks, I would plan on visiting this area along with Australia domestically. Let me just break it down on every possible spot I would want to visit in college, and flight routes.

JFK-LAX
LAX-SYD
SYD-HKG
HKG-BKK and/or KUL
KUL-PER
-also-
JFK-STR
JFK-ARN
-and then-
ROC-RSW
ROC-JFK (most likely Amtrak)

It seems that OneWorld has Asia, and Star has good control of Europe (except BA, which is huge). The one thing i like about UA is College Plus. i could get the credit card, and recieve special benefits. Is this worth it, or should i stick with One World. Thanks for reading my very un-organized post, and looking foward to your replies.

Alitalia777

P.S.-If I join UA Mileage Plus, could I later join UA college Plus and have my other miles transfered, since it would be the same name?

jesseycy

RE: QF Frequent Flyer, Or UA Mileage Plus?

Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:56 am

I would say go with QF frequent flyer, or any oneWorld partner's programs.... Simply because in your "planned trips", your long haul flights, like LAX-SYD, and SYD-HKG, are all mainly served by oneworld airlines! Those two flights alone will get you heaps of miles!

But if you like "College Plus" so much, what you should do is get QF frequent flyer, get the miles, so you won't miss out on that free flight, and get the miles!

tullamarine

Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:02 am

Either would be fine though UA is more generous in Status benefits and upgrades than QF.
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772/E/W,300,310,319,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,ATR

ILUV767

Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:38 am

With Star remember that United is big into Asia. There is also ANA, Thai, Singapore, and Asiana (soon to join) which covers Asia. In Europe there are a lot more companies than in Asia, but many tend to be smaller such as the Austrian Group, BMI, and so on.

I L U V 7 6 7

Alitalia777
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:07 pm

With the QF FF, do I have to be an Australian Resident? Also, do I have to fly on one of their flights every so often?

Alitalia777

United Airline

Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:40 pm

Either would be fine though UA is more generous in Status benefits and upgrades than QF.

True. UA is ALWAYS more generous in status benefits and upgrades than any of OneWorld Members like Cathay Pacific. Group tickets are not eligable for Mileage at CX but UA.

eta unknown

Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:05 pm

The QF plan costs, the UA plan is free.

United Airline

Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:32 pm

The QF plan costs yes it does.

Ex_SQer

Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:08 pm

Go for UA. Your College Plus number will be the same as your Mileage Plus number... and you get 10,000 miles upon graduation when you send them your transcript.

jesseycy

Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:22 pm

OK, it's time to help oneWorld a bit here! Guys, don't forget that on most of his routes (look at his list!), quite a lot of them are mainly serviced by oneWorld airlines! And if he wants to go direct, then he'll fly on them!

But I really don't get what this ruckus is about? Can't Alitalia777 just get both? Get membership of the two alliances! Rack in all the miles!

Al

Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:08 pm

If you're based in the USA, I'd go with UA. Far better accruals, status and redemption possibilities than QF, not to mention it's free. It's turning out to be pretty darn hard to get redemption seats on QF on many routings these days as something like 90% of the country flies with them now. I'd also check the redemption and accrual status with QF in relation to AA and ensure that it's 100% on both with no restrictions or weird rulings relating to another partner carrier. (UA's *status* accrues on any Star partner for example - make sure flying AA gets you status on QF as well as the miles etc).
Not quite sure why you think oneworld is the dominant alliance in SE Asia - far from it IMHO. SQ and TG are with Star and MH is closely aligned with Wings. In the far east Star has ANA and soon Asiana as well, where oneworld has CX, which is it's only carrier based in the entire region. UA also have a very large intra-Asia presence as well with their long held fifth freedom traffic rights, mainly through Japan but also I think I've read Hong Kong as well soon. The itinerary you suggested is more than workable on both alliances - and is probably better on Star truth be told. With oneworld, you would need to backtrack from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong, then down to Sydney or Melbourne, then across to Perth, as QF offers no service to KUL. With Star, it's a shuttle on SQ to Singapore then one of 3 flights Singapore to Perth with SQ. UA's code with VirginBlue should be by then extended to nearly all of their flights so if you can alter the routing slightly, your backtracking is far less with Star than it will be with oneworld if you enter Oz in SYD and use the UA code on DJ flights to get around Oz and to PER, then continue into SE Asia on SQ and TG (PER SIN KUL BKK) over to HKG, then onto Europe with SK LH or OS.
I also think Star can give you much more in the way of options from your home market as well in future years - UA AC MX "domestically" [or North Americanly if you prefer  Smile/happy/getting dizzy], NZ LH SK OS SQ UA BM transatlantic and NZ UA SQ NH TG OZ RG over the Pacific.
As always - read the fine print of the programs you are comparing. Some nasty little surprises in there at times. With the reach of the alliances these days you can basically get anywhere you want on them, albeit with backtracking involved on most of them. I don't like how big Star has become, but for coverage and options, as well as less backtracking because of the range of carriers, they are very hard to beat for frequent world travels. More so with UA's generous (in comparison to Euro, Asian, Oz schemes) Mileage+ FF scheme.
Cheers/Regards.
Al.

The Rock

Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:02 am

Alitalia777

ROC-JFK can be flown by Jetblue on their beautiful A320's
about 4 or 5 flights daily.

What brings you to ROC?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos