airplanetire

Getting Between Terminals At Different Airports.

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:12 am

I was curious as to how you must get between terminals at airports with more than one terminal. The methods I can think of are by train, bus, moving sidewalk, and just walking. Can you tell me how in major airports you must get between terminals? In ATL, my home airport, there is a train between each terminal. It is within security, so you do not have to go through security again to enter a different terminal. Can you tell me if the ways of getting between terminals at each airport you specify is inside or outside of security? Thank you very much!

jessman

RE: Getting Between Terminals At Different Airports.

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:38 am

At CVG (Cincinnati) there are three terminals named terminal one, terminal two, and terminal three (creative geniuses we have around here  Smile). You do have to leave security to change terminals, and they are connected by covered walkways. You do have to just walk.
Terminal three is Delta and Comair's terminal. It has three concourses (Concourses A, B and C for Comair) Concourse A and B are connected by a train and moving sidewalks. Concourse C is accessable by shuttle bus from either concourse A or B.
It's not really as complicated as it sounds. Big grin

airplanetire

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:40 am

Thank you for refreshing me on CVG. I used to live in Cincinatti about 8 years ago and thought I remembered trains being built.

MDCJets

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:45 am

At LAX, you can either walk or take a bus to different terminals. In Terminals 1-3 as well as the Bradley international terminal, you must walk out of the terminal, past security, then go to your desired terminal and re-enter through security. However, in terminals 4-6, there is an underground walkway connecting the terminals. Not many people use them though. Its kind of an eerie experience going through one of them. Just a very long cement hallway, most of the time deserted. Connecting Terminal 6,7,and 8 (all United terminals) is an above ground glass paneled walkway, usually very crowded. So if your going to the terminal next to yours its probably faster to walk, but if you are going to a farther one, the bus is the best option.

hamad

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:57 am

so suppose i was at Dulles international airport, and i am leaving from lets say B15, and i wanted to go to a specific shop at the C terminal. would that be possible? because i know that you can take a shuttle from B to C directly.
PHX - i miss spotting

PW100

Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:23 pm

No such problems at AMS, even though we handle 40M pax a year!
Its all under one roof. We have two main terminals that basically are shoulder to shoulder, and are more or less one single terminal. These two terminals are in the centre with concourse spreading out like fingers. The only thing is that walking distances can become quite long if you transfer from and to extreme ends of the concourses, but it's not really a problem since there are sufficient moving walkways. It will take about a 20 minutes walk between extreme ends. using the moving walkways, this can be cut in half.
All concourses are one security zone. Transferring int-int or eur-eur requires no security or customs.

AMS will get satelite concourses in a couple of years. An airport train will connect it to the current terminal. this same train will also provide for improved connecting through the existing concourses.

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

dstc47

Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:43 pm

"No such problems at AMS, even though we handle 40M pax a year!
Its all under one roof. ..........All concourses are one security zone. Transferring int-int or eur-eur requires no security or customs."

Which is why any sane person , offered a choice of a transfer connection via AMS or LHR, should always, always go via AMS.

HlywdCatft

Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:48 pm

At DTW in the new Northwest McNamara Midfield terminal we have three concourses A B and C. Concourse A is a mile long so there is an overhead tram that takes you from one end to the other. To get to concourse B and C you need to go underneath the tarmac to get there through the light tunnel. There are moving sidewalks or you can just walk and enjoy the light show that has LED lights in the walls (or should i say LSD lights because whoever created this was on it). It is pretty entertaining with strange music and changing lights with a psychedelic experience. All that you need from Concourse B to C is an escalator or elevator.

To get from McNamara to the Smith Terminal which is about a mile away you need a shuttle bus, the Berry International Terminal is over 2 miles away and you will also need a bus.

CV990

Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:35 pm

Hi!

I have tasted some great airports with both options, walking or travelling around. In LHR you must really travel around, normally by train - they have a great train service that goes from Paddington to LHR, if you take it in T1 you can go around T2/T3 and T4 quite fast, and it's very convenient!!!! I normally have LHR as my conncetion point to the rest of the world, I also fly with BA so I normally will arrive in T1 or T2 and then go to T4, that train is just magic!!! In the other point for example YYZ, you can just walk in from one to the other terminal, it's not bad and works ok with mech. stairs. PHL is also good if you walk, I arrived from STL last summer, we got a bus from the plane to the teminal, I think was C or B and then we just walk around, there was a nice inside mall and we just went cool all the way to get the check-in to our BA flight to LHR. SEA looks also like a neat and fast airport without any big fuzz.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

ren41

Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:40 pm

I took a BA bus when I had to go between T4 and T2 last summer at LHR. They painted the buses with the world tails and I got Animals In Trees Smile

R41

nonrevman

Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:09 am

In DFW, the concourses are all seperate and one must use a train to change concourses. In the event that the train is broken down (every time it rains), then buses are brought in to transport the passengers.

DEN has a design similar to ATL in which a train connects long rectangular concourses. One can either take the train or walk via an overhead path to get to the first one. Unlike ATL, one has no choice but to take the train to the 2 outermost concourses. There is no underground walkway. It kind of makes me wonder what happens when the train is not working. One does not have to reenter security if going between DEN's concourses.

Two other airports that I know of where walking from concourse to concourse is difficult would be IAH and JFK.

godbless

Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:26 am

I remember that train in DFW. It was a cool ride.

In FRA there is the Sky Line train (more advanced than the DFW one...) and I think that there is also a tunnel going there but I am not sure about that.

Max

Sabena332

Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:31 am

I was at DUS yesterday to check out the new people mover. It connect the airport train station with the terminal, a ride lasts aproximately 2 minutes and the biggest joke is that you have to pay for it!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

drerx7

Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:35 am

To the Contrary,

At IAH, if you are transiting betweent terminals B and C you can take TerminalLink Monorail-which will be expanded to all other terminals as well. In the event that you need to go between the other terminals there is an underground rail that connects all terminals-the drawback is that for that rail you need to exit security and rescreen at the other terminal. IAB is connected to C therefore walking distance isn't extreme.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:13 am

ATL is my favorite airport. It is so EASY to Navigate. A 3 year old could navigate that place. All he has to do is know the letters of the Alphabet in order, and he would get through that place in a heartbeat. I love ATL
Puhdiddle

usa4624

Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:33 am

Why not just take the S-Bahn directly to the airport?

---------------

I was at DUS yesterday to check out the new people mover. It connect the airport train station with the terminal, a ride lasts aproximately 2 minutes and the biggest joke is that you have to pay for it!

Patrick

Scott4AA

Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:57 am

Also if the trAAin isn't working at DFW, you can walk on the sky bridges. This could by a long walk coming from the far ends of A or C. Generally though, walking takes less time as the trAAin is slower than molasses.
American Airlines - We Know Why You Fly

flyboy36y

Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:04 am

JFK has busses. You really can't walk because of the layout and the construction. They are building a train called AirTrain to connect all of the terminals. EWR has such a train. LGA is mainly one terminal but you NEED to take a bust to get to the Marine Air Terminal. It's tot even on the same side of the airport as the other terminal. CLE you take an underground walkway.

blink182

Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:21 am

Scott4AA- I know terminals A,C, and B are connected to each other because of AA, but is terminal E(Delta,AirTran,Delta Express Carriers, Air Canada, and Northwest) connected to any terminals? Regarding Terminals A and C being connected to B, it is only the AA part of Terminal B(which is right on the older part of terminal b) so if you are flying BA,LH, or KE, and you are connecting from AA, you have a VERY long walk. However in the sky bridges, there are plenty of moving walkways.

But there is the airport train which currently is pretty slow and then there is the TrAAin which is specifically for AA which only serves Terminals A and C and the AA part of B. The airport train serves all of the terminals.
Under construction and set to open when Terminal D(international terminal) opens, there is a new airport train which runs above the terminals and the stations are on top of the terminals. Not only is this much faster(and maybe easier), it carries more people, and best of all, you get views of the ramp!

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

a380

Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:21 am

as far as I know:

ORD - monorail running among all terminals.

YYZ - either walk or take a shuttle bus between the 3 terminals.

a380

Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:23 am

Add two more:

YVR - short, covered walk between the domestic and international / US terminals.

HKG - technically everything is under one roof, however there is a people mover for the 'outer' gates, I don't see any other physical link between the inner and outer gates for passengers.

STT757

Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:35 am

EWR's Airtrain/Monorail connects the three terminals with each other, as well as three long term parking lots, the consolidated rental car facility and the new Newark Airport rail station on Amtrak's North East corridor. Amtrak and NJ transit trains depart for Manhattan every 10-15 minutes.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/what.map.zoom.2.html

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/travel.index.html

The first segement of JFK's Airtrain opens this fall, it will link the terminals with one another as well the NYC Subway (A Train) station at nearby Howard Beach. Next year the system will connect with the LIRR at Jamaica station.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/galleryframe.htm

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/galleryframe.htm

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

lasbagman

Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:07 am

At McCarran International Airport in LAS
we have shuttle Service betwwen Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
Its also a 8 minute walk.
Terminal 2 Handles HA, TZ for domestic flights
as we as the International flights and Charters.

Stewart/ LAS

B-787

Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:56 am

At LAX now we don't even have the tunnels anymore due to "security concerns".
722,732,73G,738,739,739ER,752,753,762,763,764,744,772,788,D10,M80,300,332,320

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos