travelin man

Whatever Happened To SNA-YVR?

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:17 am

I thought Alaska Airlines was launching non-stop SNA-YVR (John Wayne's website even has a press release about it). What happened to it? It doesn't look like the route is currently flown. Was it ever flown? Will it be in the future?

B747-437B

RE: Whatever Happened To SNA-YVR?

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:20 am

AS forgot to arrange for customs clearance to run the flights and hence had to suspend them. I guess they didn't realize that Canada was a seperate country.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

travelin man

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:25 am

Oh yeah. I guess Canada IS a separate country. Whoops. Of course, on the Simpsons, Homer called it "America Junior". Heh.

dutchjet

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:26 am

I never really understood this entire story.....while i understand, of course, that the YVR flight is trans-border and thus international, dont most, if not all, pax travelling from Canada to the US, pre-clear US formalities in Canada prior to departure? Flights from Canada operate into LGA and DCA all of the time.

Any info?

spyderz

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:57 am

Don't trust me on this, but I believe the flight is still operated, but with a stop in Seattle.

Rai

Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:02 am

Dutchjet says:
if not all, pax travelling from Canada to the US, pre-clear US formalities in Canada prior to departure? Flights from Canada operate into LGA and DCA all of the time.

You bring up an interesting point. Why do Canadian flights have to clear U.S. customs in Canada? I travel to Canada a lot and I've always had to clear U.S. customs in Canada regardless of what Canadian airport I fly out of or what U.S. airport I fly into.

travelin man

Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:11 am

Spyderz -- I looked and I couldn't even find a one-stop flight. Everything was a change of planes.

In regards to pre-clearing customs, I think it is more of a convenience thing for US-Canada passengers (don't quote me though). So many international flights come into many airports in the US that it would overburden US customs facilities to have to process all the passengers from the Canadian flights as well. I, for one, am grateful to pre-clear Customs in Canada. The thought of dealing with Customs at LAX for a short flight from YVR is dreadful!

johnboy

Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:37 am

I wondered about this too. If flights can pre-clear US Customs, what's the need? Perhaps AS is not a signatory to this pre-clear agreement at YVR? But that can't be it, because they have flight from YVR to other US cities.

There has to be more to this story than meets the eye. I can't imagine AS suddenly not remembering that there aren't Customs facilities at one airport or another.

EIPremier

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:00 am

AS didn't "forget" to arrange customs clearance. All Alaska flights from YVR pre-clear US customs. The problem is that SNA is neither a "Customs Landing rights" airport, nor an "international airport of entry." All flights from Canada to the US land at one of these two types of airports. Only after service had started did Customs agents inform AS of the problem. Apparently, U.S. Customs agents are required at the airport so that "spot inspections" can be performed.

Currently, the flight only operates on weekends, with one stop in SEA.