QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Ramp Worker's Ready For Winter... In Summer!

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:02 pm

I've noticed something about the attire people who work on the tarmac wear. Today in Los Angeles, it was 105 degrees in the valleys, 90 in downtown LA and like 85 at LAX, yet SOOO many baggage handlers ALWAYS wear long pants, 2 sweaters, ski cap and gloves. I had shorts and a shirt and was roasting! I've seen this bundled up attire at SEA, ATL, LHR and others during the summer time. Anyone know why this is?!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

silver_wing767

RE: Ramp Worker's Ready For Winter... In Summer!

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:06 pm

I dont understand that..because when i am on the ramp i try to wear the least amount possible...and when i am in the pitts of YUL(bagroom) i wear just shorts and an undershirt!

Adam84

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:16 pm

I feel bad for them. Especially with all that hot exhaust in your face and crawling in the baggage compartments. It was 97 here in downtown San Jose today and it supposed to get up to 107 tommorrow. I cannot even imagine how hot it gets in the baggage holds of the aircraft.

I was baking in the sun today on my smoke breaks, the a/c in our building was barely able to maintain 80 degrees. Not to mention how many times the power went out today (I counted 6 times the power turned off).

N766UA

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:24 pm

It's always great to pull up to the gate in MCO to see rampies decked out in heavy coats, earmuffs, knit caps, and gloves. Granted it's winter but winter in Florida means like 65 or 70 degrees. I'm wearin shorts and short sleeves and they look like they're ready for the yukon!
This Website Censors Me

silver_wing767

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:25 pm

Actually.. when the planes lands on a hot and sticky day,, when you open up the belly of a bird, it is nice and cool, and then cold(dirty)floor help.. then you start unloading and melt your sac off... but..sometimes there are animals in the belly, so the heat was turned on.. you can imange how fun that is... then add in the great smell of heated poo and hot dog!! thats is always a highlight for me!!

ual777contrail

Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:47 am

qantas747-438,
i was in LAX yesterday and i didnt see one person wearing a nit cap and sweaters and long pants,you may have seen one person but i disagree with you on that,the person you saw could have been doing lavs or fueling planes(so nothing spills on them).

ual 777 contrail

Lindy

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:02 am

Then you should try to unload aircrafts with dead bodies. There is always cold. They are mostly in the rear cargo hold in carton boxes full of dry ice with mail packages so pilots dont use any heat devices on them  Smile
I've been working on the ramp only in the winter and I know if you unload whole 737-400 by yourself you gonna sweat like a pig  Big grin

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

srbmod

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:19 am

When I was a ramper, I didn't wear shorts because of the dirty cargo bins. The last time I wore shorts as a ramper, I was running local bags all shift and got a wicked sunburn. I tended to wear pants after that because I also got tired of them bunching up while I was in a bin. I too noticed that there were people @ ATL that looked liked they were headed for the Artic or at least a deep freeze even on the hottest days on the ramp. I guess some people are cold-natured to the extreme. I did on occasion wore a long sleeve shirt in the Summer, only because they were the only clean shirts I had left in my closet, and I was too lazy to do laundry that day.

zebfly2

Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:10 am

I remember when I was a ramper @ JFK working Int'l flights back in the mid '80s during hot summer days, we would race to be the first in the bellys of the DC-10's and 747's we serviced to get relief from the heat and get cool (the company I worked for was Allied now Allied-Ogden). When 707's and DC-8's came in (especially Icelandair) we weren't too eager to enter those bellies due to the excessive amount of bags and cargo. By the time we exited the bellies we were soaked. There some days when I didn't even use my raingear because I knew that I would be wet from sweat any way. we always wore long pants because some of the airlines we worked(Air India & Pakistan to name a couple) on aircraft that reeked of unmentionable smells and trash. Believe it or not, you could actually smell the aircraft when it pulled up to the gate and I'm not talking about Jet-A fuel if you know what I mean. Does this condition still exist with some non-US airlines? I'm not trying to put down any specific airline but rather just mentioning facts.
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

UAL Bagsmasher

RE: Lindy

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:10 am

Dead bodies are NEVER loaded in the same compartment as dry ice.

DC10Tony

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:40 am

I will NEVER wear shorts on the ramp.

I wear pants and they're just fine, I don't get hot due to the pants, I get hot because of the direct heat reflecting off the tarmac.

I also wear the "muff" ear protection because:

- they're more comfortable than earplugs
- you're less likely to misplace them, because they stand out
- they keep your ears warm in the winter

I don't want to scrape up my legs on the ramp if I wear shorts, because with all that goes on, it's bound to happen. My company also doesn't provide shorts, you have to buy them. So why should I spend money I don't have to?

I'm perfectly content with pants.

KAL_LM

Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:07 pm

Back when I was ramping, it was company policy that shorts were not allowed. Sure we cursed them and sweated like pigs humping boxes in 100F days, but in the end my knees thanked them. 'Cause I never used pads (they always got in the way) I would have torn my knees up and considering how bad they were already it would have been a mess.

As for specific aircraft, my favorite were the UPS DC-8s coming in from SDF. Sure, the bellies were at 110% full but they were ice-cold when they arrived. Besides, being partially cool beats roasting stacking in a container in the sun. As for wide-bodies, always tried to get on the main deck of the 747F due to the A/C and the relative ease of work...

regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:42 pm

True, the cargo holds can sometimes be cold, like a US Airways flight that recently had shrimp in it. But climbing up the belt roller and everything else... there's no way anyone can work all clothed up in that way! I'm glad to see that other people in this forum have seen what I'm talking about. It's just so confusing!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

ual777contrail

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:33 am

you dont load dry ice with bodies,LINDY.
rampers dont wear pants because the dead bodies or N1's are "cold"
do you think we load and unload bodies all day?

come on now.

ual 777 contrail