flynavy

Sun Country: How Are The Doing?

Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:25 am

How is Sun Country doing these days? Refresh my memory, but have they resumed scheduled service yet? It's probably old news. What is there fleet make-up right now? Thanks...

Chris in Orlando
Change is: one airline, six continents!

RE: Sun Country: How Are The Doing?

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:13 am

Hey Chris,
A quick look at http://www.suncountry.com will answer most of your questions. Here is the latest press release from the website.......

DOT Gives Sun Country Airlines Final Approval to Operate under MN Airlines, LLC

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (May 15, 2002) - The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has given final approval for the transfer of Sun Country Airlines' operating certificate to the airline's new ownership group, MN Airlines, LLC.

In the filing, the DOT stated, "the transfer of Sun Country's certificate authority to MN Airlines, a company that will continue, and expand on, Sun Country's current operations, can only have a positive impact on Sun Country's employees and result in increased competition in the domestic airline industry."

Some of the assets of Sun Country Airlines, including the name, were acquired by MN Airlines on April 15th, with approval of the U.S. Bankruptcy court. At that time, the DOT gave MN Airlines and Sun Country verbal consent to operate under Sun Country's existing certificate, pending a more formal review process, which is complete with the Department's order today.

Sun Country Airlines CEO David Banmiller said, "This is one of the final phases in our transition from bankruptcy to new ownership. I applaud the Department of Transportation's expedited handling of our application. In doing so, the Department has sent a strong message that protecting competition and protecting jobs is important to Secretary Mineta and this Administration. The beneficiaries of the Department's actions will be the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and travelers and businesses from throughout the country."

Sun Country Airlines is currently providing quality, affordable scheduled air service to the most popular destinations including Dallas, Ft. Myers, Las Vegas, Laughlin, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego and San Francisco. For more information, visit our website at http://www.suncountry.com or to make a reservation call 1-800-FLY-N-SUN.

timz

Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:47 am

The June OAG shows a 72S leaving MCO for RSW and MSP at 1400 on MoWeFrSa. Let us know if it really exists.

flynavy

Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:51 am

Considering it's July...

Continental

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:02 am

They definately have not started all scheduled service back up! But everyday here at MSP, I see their 737s and 727s taking off and landing!

Continental

flynavy

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:27 am

Continental,

I wish I could see what you see in MSP. Sun Country is on the schedule here at MCO, but I haven't personally seen one of their aircraft in quite some time. I love their new livery and 737-800's. I hope they resume all operations.

Chris in MCO

pilottim747

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:52 am

Sun Country started by flying to Laughlin from MSP last January which I heard was quite sucessful. Then in late February and March they began more operations such as Florida and Las Vegas. In May and June they increased their schedules a little more to include the following: Sun Country Summer Route Map

It's nothing like their old schedules (with frequencies reduced a lot). Also, I don't know what kind of loads they are carrying now.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

timz

Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:13 am

So Sun Country sez they fly to MCO, and http://www.oag.com sez they arrive at 1215 tomorrow (Friday). Flynavy, let us know if they turn up.

grounded

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:18 am

I've tried getting on www.suncountry.com,but I can only get "page cannot be displayed". Anybody get the same?

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:33 am

Hey Grounded
It loads for me. Don't know what the problem is????

TimeForFlight

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:54 am

there are a few sun country aircraft sittin gout on the tarmac at smyrna, tn... one is a dc-10... anyone know if its been removed from service? if not i dont mind it staying out ehre... it sure is a beauty

swaluvfa

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:46 am

I saw a Sun Country 727 here in Orlando the other day...hmmm actually I think it was today!  Smile Anyway, they are back here in MCO!

notdownnlocked

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:10 pm

They fly from DFW to Laughlin one stop but I haven't found out why they don't show the stops on their map. They could make a few more dollars if they showed all the stops by picking up a few more pax. From DFW they fly to ABI/LBB/MAF/ELP/SPS/SAT/IAH/AMA then to Laughlin and it is possible to buy tickets on all these flights.

flynavy

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:22 pm

Timz:

Unfortunately I won't be in Orlando on Friday. I'm going to Naval Station Mayport. I was at MCO today and saw no sign of Sun Country.

Timeforflight:

As far as I know, Sun Country has withdrawn all of its DC10 equipment from scheduled service. I believe their fleet now consists solely of B727-200 Super 27's and some new B737-800's (which wear the new, beautiful livery). It looks like those DC10's will be around for quite some time! Enjoy them while they're still aircraft.

Chris in Orlando

pilottim747

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:29 pm

DC-10s are gone (since Spring of 2001). I believe the current fleet consists of three Boeing 737-800s and two Boeing 727-200s. All aircraft are leased from the International Lease Finance Corp (ILFC). Sun Country is in talks to acquire a fourth Boeing 737-800 from ILFC, a move that would allow it to add more cities and flights to its schedule, and that he'll help the carrier look for more 737 aircraft through other leasing companies.

pilottim
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.