garuda

What Can I Do In NRT And Sfo?

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:50 am

I'm flying to USA for the first time end of this month, and my itinery is SIN-NRT-SFO-BOS. There'll be a layover in NRT for 2 hrs and 15 mins and in SFO for 2 hrs and 30 mins.

Can anyone tell me what can I do during the layovers? Say, spotting or shopping, etc... Is there any good place to spot in both airports? Is there aviation shops inside the terminal?

I'm flying United all the way to BOS.

Thank you beforehand,
JA

Bicoastal

RE: What Can I Do In NRT And Sfo?

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:55 am

I've flown similar routes often. You'll be tired. Wash up in the restroom, exercise by walking around a bit, and then find a chair to rest/sleep. I'm a member of United's Red Carpet Club, so I usually find a corner in the club room and sleep. The layovers go by very quickly. In San Francisco you'll have to clear customs/immigration which will take some time depending on the number of international flights arriving at that time.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Android

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:25 am

Narita has observation decks at both terminals- Great spotter locations
Go to their website or just look for the signs when you arrive.
Cheers

doug_or

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:37 am

SFO also has a small aviation mueseum/library, though its hours are limited
When in doubt, one B pump off

trickijedi

Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:50 pm

Check out this thread someone posted in the non-av forum. Maybe it'll answer some of your questions about what to do in San Fran.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/141537/4/
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

sllevin

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:20 pm

AFAIK, you'll be going through customs at SFO. So your layover there won't be quite so boring as you imagine.

Steve

n949wp

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:33 pm

The observation deck at NRT is landside, i.e. you'll have to clear Japanese immigration and customs to get there. Not exactly worth it for a 2-hour layover. However, there are plenty of huge windows at Terminal 1 (where UA operates out of) to see most of the action at the main runway (remember, NRT now has two runways), although you'll be looking into the sun in the afternoon. As for the airside shopping in Terminal 1, I don't recall seeing anything particularly interesting. Pretty much the standard stuff like electronics, books & magazines, a few overpriced cafes, duty-free tobacco, alcohol and perfumes, etc. No aviation-related shops that I can think of. There are a few airside shops over at Terminal 2 (where JAL & ANA operates) where they sell JAL and ANA memorabilia, including huge inflatable Jumbo jets!! But I don't think you can go freely between T1 and T2 airside, unless you show a ticket/boarding pass from an airline that operates at the other terminal.

Haven't been to SFO for ages, so I can't comment on that.

'949

SQ772

Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:58 pm

Eh? UA? I thought you mentioned that the university usually gets you the cheapest tickets? Shouldn't you be flying NW? Or did you chicken out?  Wink/being sarcastic
There's always a better way to fly...

garuda

Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:18 pm

SQ772,

I don't know why they put me in UA, but my guess will be that since there are so many of us flying together, my university cannot booked everyone in one flight...

So, should I be grateful or sorry?  Laugh out loud

One more thing, to the fellow Singapore spotters (esp Ryanair!!), since I'm not flying NW anymore, there won't be SIN-BOS trip report with NW.... But I'll make up with one on UA...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

JA

n949wp

Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:28 pm

Come to think of it, you might not be bored during layover at SFO at all. With US airport security checkpoints fast becoming strip joints, you might be treated to a show!!  Acting devilish

'949

garuda

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:14 pm

N949WP,

LOL... Well, I might be treated to a show... or I might be one of the guest star..  Laugh out loud

JA

SQ772

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:23 pm

JA

I think you should be grateful, but should also feel sorry for Ryanair!!! since he just lost another opportunity to comment on NW's service.

Do you have a digicam? If yes, please treat us to a pictorial Trip Report when you get back... (you can leave out pictures of you becoming the guest star if you are too shy!)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy .
There's always a better way to fly...

garuda

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:29 pm

SQ772,

I'll bring my digicam, so don't worry abt that..

JA