Omegous
Topic Author

Things To Do At SLC On Layover?

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:19 am

I have a layover on July 25th at SLC while connecting from ORD-BOI on Delta.

Is there something people recommend doing? I was thinking of Grabbing a bite to eat. Any sit down restaurants within security in the Delta areas that's not terribly expensive. No bars though or anything with alcohol.

Also, anything else someone might recommend, let me know.

Thanks!

trey

RE: Things To Do At SLC On Layover?

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:22 am

well, i've flown through there about 1K times and you are basically out of luck. get a cinnacbon or something, there is a Bk and something I think called the Alta grill or a name like that but it has booze. The SLC airport is pretty boring. go to the SkyWest term. it is new and it is at least worth looking at for a few minutes. other than that, good luck-

B747-437B

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:23 am

All concourses at SLC are connected beyond security, so you can wander without hindrance. For sitdown service, my two favorites are the Dick Clark American Bandstand Grill between concourses C/D and the Terrace Restaurant located just beyond the A concourse checkpoints. The former has quicker service and a typical diner menu while the latter is a slightly more formal restaurant.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

FATFlyer

Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:33 am

I've never done it, but if you have more than 2 hours there is a free tour offered from the airport to Temple Square and back.
http://www.utah.com/cities/slc_free_tour.htm

Or since the airport is only 7 miles from downtown, you can grab your own transportation and sightsee as much of the downtown area as you can.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:35 am

It's a shame you don't want alcohol. There is a neat bar at SLC airport with a nice lady from either Serbia or Croatia behind the bar. They sell a beer called Polygamy Porter that has the slogan 'Why just have one?'.

Delta15

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:53 am

I have done the free tour once. The tour is operated by Mormons, and they REALLY urge you to visit all of the Mormon sites etc. in the area.

j.mo

Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:03 am

If you did want to go outside the airport, there is a spotters park within walking distance of the terminal. It is south of RWY 34R. It may take 10-15 min. to walk. It has the tower freq. piped into speakers so there is no-need for a scanner.

Jeremy

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:32 am

From a SLC-based friend of mine:

"The difference between Salt Lake City and other U.S. cities:

Most cities have nightlife. Salt Lake City just has night."
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

concorde1518

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:26 pm

Of course it's operated my the Mormons, you're on the Tour to see Temple Square, the hub of the Mormon church!  Big grin The organ is marvelous IMO. I've only been to Terminal A since I started caring about aviation, so I don't remember anything about the Delta terminal B.

Smile

OA412
Crew

Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:24 pm

I have done the free tour once. The tour is operated by Mormons, and they REALLY urge you to visit all of the Mormon sites etc. in the area.

Well it would be strange for a tour to the hub of the LDS Church to be operated by anyone but them now wouldn't it. And, of course they encourage you to visit other LDS sites in the city, they want to sell their religion to you (a practice which many, many religions are guilty of).

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West