flyitup

Spotting At Reagan

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:33 am

Greetings all.
In a couple of weeks I will be in Alexandria for a few days and am staying at the Travel Lodge approx. 1.5mi from Reagan International. Is anyone familiar with this area? Any tips on where I could get a good view of approaching departing aircraft? Thanks in advance for the information..

flyitup

flyitup

RE: Spotting At Reagan

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:25 pm

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Flyitup

flynavy

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:30 pm

Flyitup:

Pretty much any place in Washington D.C. is a spotting point for DCA. It's a great airport. A good place to start is Gravely Point (sp?). I am not from the D.C. area, but I was there a few weeks ago. Maybe someone else here on the forums can point you in the direction of Gravely Point. I hope this helps.

Chris in Orlando
Change is: one airline, six continents!

concorde1518

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:15 pm

You won't be able to get any close ups of individual aircraft, but "The Awakening" gives a great view national, where you can see the terminal, and all the arriving and departing aircraft, just not too close, so to catch close ups, it may not be good.... You can see Andrews from the Awakening, I think.

Smile

aspen1

Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:32 pm

i lived accross the river up north from dca this last year. when we would be at the pool on our roof of the building one could watch the planes buzz by. an interesting note is that the planes fly so low that when you walk down h or f streets it looks like the plane will crash into the buildings. a great spot is on arlignton national bridge. also you can do some spotting at the park right before the airport.

have fun.

cedarjet

RE: Spotting At National

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:45 pm

If you're not allowed to stand up for the first or last half hour on flights to and from DCA, isn't it a bit dicey to be loitering or whatever, pointing scanners around etc? If there's any airport in the US which is going to have REALLY touchy "security", isn't it National?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Airplanelover

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:43 pm

I went there to vacation last year. If you ride the subway, you go right past Reagen airport so that is pretty cool. We really didnt go spotting but we went on a tour and at Arlington Cemetary they were landing right over it and the planes were pretty low. I dont know what runway that would be or if they would land over it if you were there. So I hope I helped you!

9A-CRO
Crew

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:05 pm

I watched planes from a marina in Alexandria.
it is quite close to the airport
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos