sfo

Seeking Advise Re Radio Monitors, Scanners?

Mon Oct 04, 1999 12:59 pm

When I'm in the viscinity of San Francisco International, I always try to spend about half an hour watching takes offs and landings. Many of the enthusiasts who go there use radios to listen in to conversations between ATC and pilots. I feel that I'm missing out so I'm thinking of getting one of these radios.

Can anyone please let me know how I should go about it? How do you spec out these radios in terms of range or power. Do I have to get them at specialty shops or can I buy them at a local Radio Shack? Whats the cheapest set you would recommend. And how much do these sets cost? Thanks.

RE: Seeking Advise Re Radio Monitors, Scanners?

Mon Oct 04, 1999 1:03 pm

You can buy one at a local radio shack. The cheapest handheld scanner is about $99. Then if you want to get better reception buy a bigger longer antenna. Then if you want to hear it better buy some of those racing headsets.