rm-11

ATL Is Back On Top!

Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:18 pm

Atlanta has seems to regain its number one position in aircraft movements, it has had the number one position for passengers for sometime now.

http://www.airports.org/traffic/busiest.html

HlywdCatft

RE: ATL Is Back On Top!

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:21 pm

That sucks to see DTW drop to number 9, a couple years ago they were number 5.

AirT85

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:42 pm

IM glad for Atlanta! Its my hometown and an amazing airport. Delta and AirTran are doing extremely well there!!
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

srbmod

Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:13 am

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As the old saying goes (at least here in the South), you can't go to Heaven without change planes @ ATL! We're #1!!!!!!!!!!!!

BR715-A1-30

Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:13 am

ATL Rules. The Concourses are so easy to navigate, and so easy to get to in such Minimal Time. No wonder they are Number 1. EVERYBODY likes to go through there. Look at Detroits OLD terminal where you had to walk from C Terminal to G Terminal.. UGHK... ATL IS NUMBER 1
Puhdiddle

Omegous

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:19 am

Congrats to ATL. I am going to be traveling to and from ATL next week! WOOT!!

On a side note, LAS is 12th for passengers, and 6th for movements. Not too bad at all!! But we must beat Phoenix!!!

hartsfieldboy

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:53 am

My username says it all. ATL, the greatest airport in the world!!

matthc49

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:11 am

SHIAT YEAH!!! Kick ass ATL!!! Flying in there on 22nd to pick up some friends then heading to Oshkosh!!! Anyone need picks of anything on the G/A side?

BA

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:13 am

ATL is nice, but I think the concourses are too small and too narrow.

I guess I've been spoiled by the largest single gate area in the world, United's Concourse B in Denver Int'l (DEN).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Barrow
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

Out of all the airports I've been to in the world, Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS) is the best in my opinion. I'd rather connect in it than any other airport in the world.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jernej Verbovsek

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

It's such an amazingly organized airport. It's had nearly 20 phases of expansion yet it is still amazingly neat and organized. You simply can't go wrong with this airport.

All this talking is making me want to to go there!  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

matthc49

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:17 am

Denver is beautiful, but, ATL still gets my #1 until I see another (in person)... You wanna see narrow concourses? KMSY has some narrow ones...

Matt Chamberlain
5R2

BA

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:21 am

ATL isn't bad, I like it.

But I just got used to the incredibly wide and incredibly long concourses in DEN.

Concourse B is more than 1 mile long, and it's width is about 2 ATL concourses put together (more like 1.75, but close enough).

Concourse B sure is a good place to get some exercise.  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:31 am

You shall die for the next 2 months..........

Its just a slight dip here at ORD.

Weve been through this, and you will see us back at the top.

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:36 am

Yeah, because T1 to D38 connections are just so much fun.  Smile

:rolleyes:

SAS_A330-300

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:51 am

I can just give my congrats to ATL!
But it sucks to see that this list just covers the 30 biggest (it used to be longer). Where's my ARN?

Regards, Simon
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

airplanetire

Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:26 am

Awesome for ATL! It's my home airport, so I love to see it do well. What exactly is a movement? Is a landing and takeoff of one aircraft a movement, or would when the plane lands be one and when it takes off be another?

hartsfieldboy

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:12 am

LOT767-300ER - What you say sounds familiar:

"We take great pride in our historic role as the transportation hub of the nation. If indeed Atlanta is going to surpass us in passenger count, it's going to be very close, and they shouldn't get used to that title," says Dennis Culloton of Chicago's aviation department. "We anticipate that we will reclaim the belt, if you will, by this time next year."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/business/1999/t0407ah.htm

This was said back in 1999, did you guys take back the highest passenger count yet?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

drerx7

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:21 am

Unfortunately...

I wish I could share the joy of the ATL spotters. Even though I absoulutely hate Hartsfield, Delta, and Atlanta I must extend congrats.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

ngr

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:59 am

I love ATL, but the rest of my family HATES it. I guess it is because I am the only one interested in aviation.  Sad I like going between the concourses on the automated subway and I like to watch all the planes! ATL is the best airport, but like Srbmod said, "Once you die, and you are going to heaven or hell, you have to go through Atlanta first"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ngr

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:47 am

No but we took over movements in 2001.

Pilothica737

Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:53 am

DUDE!! SWEET!! I am so glad to see ATL back at #1!!!
Jacqueline

HlywdCatft

Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:15 pm

**I guess I've been spoiled by the largest single gate area in the world, United's Concourse B in Denver Int'l (DEN).**

Umm have you been to the new Detroit Midfield Terminal? Concourse A is over a mile long and has a train from one end to the other all for just Northwest and its partners. It is bigger than Denver's Concourse B

tzMSP

Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:19 pm

HlywdCatft:

Yeah, the new DTW terminal for NWA is indeed amazing! Though it's nice to see good ol' Minneapolis has climbed above Detroit in aircraft movements.  Big grin

tzMSP

BA

Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:20 pm

HlywdCatft,

Yes, well haven't you ever taken into consideration that Midfield Terminal is BRAND NEW?

It's not like it's been around for 5 years my friend. So don't make it sound that it's obvious that I should know that a brand new terminal is larger. Sorry! I made a mistake!

saxman66

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:30 pm

Well congrats to everybody's big ATL aiport being number 1, but what happens when ORD and ATL run out of room to grow? And DFW, with plenty of room to spare, will soon takeover. Its like a city there. Soon to be 6 terminals and a brand new elevated train system; perfect place for spotting. And 8 runways. Sorry, DFW is my hometown and I have to root for it! Soon that day will where we no longer be number 2 or 3 or even 6 and it will grow to #1! yay!!

Chris
Ride Amtrak!

BA

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:41 pm

Saxman66,

You bring up a good point. I remember somewhere I read an article about what exactly will happen when ATL and ORD "fill up".

The only airports in the US with substantial room to grow are DEN which is the largest airport in North America in terms of land area and 2nd largest in the world; and DFW which is the 2nd largest in North America and 4th largest in the world

The full plan for DEN calls for 6 Concourses each the size of United's Concourse B, and 12 runways.

Of course, this isn't planned until 2035.  Smile

DFW has similar massive plans as well.

Regards

BA

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:53 pm

Many predict that DEN and DFW will become the future busiest airports in the US unless cities like Atlanta and Chicago scrap there current airports and build all together a new one, like DEN did 7 years ago, and DFW about 30 years ago. But to many, it seems unlikely. Not sure why. I think it would be wise for Chicago to one day build a completely new international airport that would replace O'hare.

It's been proven that you don't need to be big to have a busy airport. Take Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world for example. There are at least 50 cities in the world that are larger than Atlanta, yet Atlanta is the one with the busiest airport. Not Mexico City which is the largest city in the world, not Tokyo, and not New York. It has to do mostly with the facilities available. This is why DEN and DFW could very well become the future ATL or ORD. Too early to predict of course, as there could be sudden changes. Like the the cities of Atlanta and Chicago building brand new airports to replace there current ones.

But I truly believe that sometime in this decade, DFW will claim #1 spot sometime this decade possibly, and if not. Earlier this decade. Dallas right now is #3 in aircraft movement, and #6 in passenger movement. It could easily become #1 this decade if American Airlines grows enough.

DEN could be in the Top 5 easily within 20 or so years. It all depends. Not only does Denver have a massive airport, but it's location is very centrally located which makes it an ideal massive US Gateway.

That's why United has it's 2nd largest hub, in Denver. Because of it's excelent geographic location.

Like many have stated, air travel is expected to skyrocket in 20 years. O'hare and Hartsfield will not be able to keep up with the future demand. So airlines will start looking outside at other airports with lots of room to grow.

Regards

ripcordd

Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:49 pm

ATL Sucks!!!!! all it has is Delta. Delta connects almost all of their traffic thru ATL which is why it is number#1. If AA or UA connected most of their traffic thru ORD/DFW they would be #1. But Delta just has ATL. UA/AA have some of the best hub's in the world. Atl has very little variety in terms of International carriers, goto ORD,LAX.JFK and you will get to see a ton of carriers.

SESGDL

Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:08 pm

BA,

What are you talking about? Tokyo is by far, the largest city in the world with over 30 million people.

Go Atlanta!!!!!!! Also, ATL has been #1 by passengers since it took the spot from ORD, ORD never reclaimed the spot.

Rai

Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:18 pm

What about LHR? Once they get the new terminal up and running, I'm sure they'll jump up the list.

I don't think Atlanta or Chicago as cities handle the most air traffic in the world. I believe London's airports in total handle the most passengers, while New York's airports as a whole handle the most movements.

And SESGDK is right. At 30 million people, Tokyo is the biggest city in the world. The NYC metro area is probably next with 21 million. Followed by Sao Paulo, Bombay (or Mumbai). Mexico City is probably up there as well.

airblue

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:10 pm

Beijing despite the crisis is running +23%.
And also Tokio Hadena and Bangkok are doing well.
It seems Asian airports had a less impact from 11th Sept.

tzMSP

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:42 pm

ATL is certainly a marvel of an airport, but I would have to agree it's not near as much fun in terms of the livery of international airlines... nothing like the SFOs, ORDs, DFWs and JFKs of the US (or AMS/LHR/CDG of EU) where one can see oh-so-many big and small ranging in colours from Air Canada Red to KLM Royal Dutch Blue. ATL just seems to be a whole lotta' Delta, with some other coloured specks. Though I am pleased AirTran is doing well!

To add to BA's point, a city need not be large to support massive aircraft movement. Minneapolis-Saint Paul is a classic example of this. The "Twin Cities" barely creep into the 3MIL mark for population (with 4MIL for the whole state total,) yet they were ranked in the top 10 for aircraft movement (even above DTW,) and in the top 20 in terms of passengers carried.

MSP is indeed small, but a very nice simple terminal with great shopping and restaurants. Construction on a 4th runway has began, and MSP's facelift should be completed in 2010; the new LRT (light-rail transit) connecting the airport to the Mall of America (with it's tax-free shopping) and downtown Minneapolis will open for riders in early 2004. (MSP has come a long way since its movie debut in AIRPORT, heh.)

Though Northwest does dominate here, much like Delta does Atlanta, we still get to see some nice international carriers like Air Canada, KLM Royal Dutch, and Icelandair... If only Aer Lingus or SAS would open a gate here!  Smile

Oh, and SAXman66... DFW is a way fun airport. Though AA dominates, and getting around that airport is difficult (my only complaint about DFW is that its tram system bites,) the FOUNDERS PARK they have there for viewing planes is almost in between the runways! It's amazing. Is it still open after 9/11? And do they still have the speaker playing ATC so you can listen as you watch? If only more airports had such a park...

Thanks for listening to my rant on my hometown in Minnesota...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy tzMSP

neilalp

Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:02 pm

Who cares about the airport layout or carrier. Just read the facts!! Yeah i'm not happy DTW is at 19th, but if connecting passengers gets you the award then you get the award. ATL has some interesting carriers last time I flew through.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:29 am

", but what happens when ORD and ATL run out of room to grow?"

Yes thats why Chicago O'Hare will expand buy out land and create the 8th runway

This will happen.

I would just like to point out that ATL would be no competition if they actually had a 2nd airport.

We have Chicago Midway where as Atlanta has crap.

"I don't think Atlanta or Chicago as cities handle the most air traffic in the world. I believe London's airports in total handle the most passengers, while New York's airports as a whole handle the most movements. "

Yes i believe London's airports handle the most pax. But i disagree with the movements at NY.

saxman66

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:37 am

TzMSP:
Founders Plaza at DFW is indeed open to the public. And they do have the ATC playing out loud there. However during these summer months, they hardly use the 35 runways so all the traffic is at the north end and you really can't see much going on. I agree the train is getting old but it still runs just fine, seeing how I ride it everyday.
I like MSP also. I travel through there alot on my way to Grand Forks. Lots of nice shops and restaurants.
Ride Amtrak!

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:51 am

SESGDL,

Mexico City has 67 million. That's more than doubled Tokyo.
Every 14 minutes a new school is built in Mexico City.

LOT767-300ER,

You think that's a lot of land? Can ORD tripple it's size with the available land surrounding it? I don't think so.

The fact is ORD and ATL do not have room to grow to support the future air travel. DEN's land is equal to 4 ORD lands put together. Denver airport can nearly tripple its size with the amount of land it has. Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) can nearly double it's size with the land it has.

Sorry, but that expansion you showed me there will not keep up with the demands in 2035. Not even when LHR builds the 5th terminal, it won't be enough. The problem is land area.

The future calls for massive Manhattan sized airport lands.

Regards

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:55 am

LOT767-300ER,

Creating an 8th runway will not keep up with future demands either.

The full scale plan of DEN calls for 12 runways. ORD cannot cram 12 runways into the amount of land it has. Not only that, but nearly all of it's runways cross each other which means there cannot be simultaneous landings and take-offs at the same time on all the runways.

Denver calls for all 12 runways being used at the exact same time during peak hours.

And that's Denver! Dallas has even larger plans.

Regards

ghost77

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:43 am

BA,

67 million no way! We are 98 million in the country there´s no chance that almost the 67% of the pop. is concentrated here. Mexico City got only 10 Million... + the 28 of in metro that´s a total of 38 million, not 67!

ghost77  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:48 am

Ghost77,

I just checked, and the exact figure is 67,395,826 as of a couple years ago. That's including metro population.

Regards

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:51 am

Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong figure. You're right, 38 million it is.

However, check this out:

http://www.sanbachs.net/cgi-bin/mexico/mexico2.cgi/City=MEX

It even claims that Mexico City is the largest city in the world.

srbmod

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:00 am

ATL does have room to grow. They are currently in the process of building a fifth runway, an international terminal next to the Concourse E (the international concourse), moving the control tower, building a southside terminal (the exact location and who will be operating out of it has yet to be finalized), and possibly building an additional hangar and cargo facilities. This is more than likely the last expansion @ ATL due to any future expansion would be very capital intensive due to the number of homes and businesses that would have to be bought out for any future expansion. The original plans for the current ATL facility had runways and concourses planned for the area south of the current facility. Those plans never really took shape because of budgetary reasons. If and when a second airport is built in Atlanta, you probably could see some airlines either start service or boost service to the Atlanta area. But the biggest problem with a second airport is the NIMBY factor. The FAA gave millions of dollars to improve the Gwinnett Co. Airport (LZU) to make it a possible site of a reliever airport, but the residents of the area managed to get that stopped immediately. These people managed to get the runway length shortened from the original proposal and managed to stop any scheduled ops out of LZU; these folks had already been up in arms about the County building the new jail in their area, so they had the right people working with them. The City of Atlanta back during the late 60s and early 70s started to look at sites for a second airport. They had selected three sites initially, two on the northside of Atlanta, and one on the southside of Atlanta. The two sites on the northside were in what was then rural farmland in North Fulton Co., and the southern site was in rural Henry Co. Then Lockheed offered the City of Atlanta a deal on some land in which they owned up in Dawson County. It was a facility they were about to close, so they offered the land to the City at a good price. With this, the sites were pared down to the Lockheed land and Henry Co. It eventually was decided to just build a new terminal facility on the current airport site. The land up in Dawson County was eventually bought as a the future site of a second airport, and any attempts the City of Atlanta has made to start developing airport plans for the site have been shot down by the County Commisision up in Dawson County. The location for the second airport is there, but is being hamped by the government up there.

Delta777-XXX

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:13 am

spotting at hartsfield sucks

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:19 am

"The fact is ORD and ATL do not have room to grow to support the future air travel. DEN's land is equal to 4 ORD lands put together. Denver airport can nearly tripple its size with the amount of land it has. Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) can nearly double it's size with the land it has."

You really think that DEN as a city will support all that traffic though?
I fully realize that ORD will be too small even after the re-arrangment in the far future.

hartsfieldboy

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:29 am

Remember that so far, O'hare's master plan is only a PROPOSAL. It can and probably will be reduced when all the NIMBYs have their say. Hartsfield's master plan is already UNDER CONSTRUCTION. By 2010 (probably 2012), ATL will look like this: http://www.atlmasterplan.com/figure_6_1.htm

For people who think that ATL is busy because of transfer traffic, over 30 million people were O&D pax. Therefore, ATL can stand own its own rightfully among the busiest.

If Atlanta needs a second airport, I'm hoping that Peachtree-Dekalb Airport becomes it. I would like to see it become the airport for smaller carriers like Soutwest and JetBlue. I believe that the largest runway could handle 737/A320s, and that only terminal work is needed. Plus, it's only a short bus ride to the subway.

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:30 am

LOT767-300ER,

Why don't you read my posts thoroughly? I've said it, and I'll say it again:

It's been proven that you don't need to be big to have a busy airport. Take Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world for example. There are at least 50 cities in the world that are larger than Atlanta, yet Atlanta is the one with the busiest airport.

Regards

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:00 am

"Remember that so far, O'hare's master plan is only a PROPOSAL. It can and probably will be reduced when all the NIMBYs have their say"

Yea a proposal that has a chance of 99% of going through.

"It's been proven that you don't need to be big to have a busy airport. Take Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world for example. There are at least 50 cities in the world that are larger than Atlanta, yet Atlanta is the one with the busiest airport."

Yet no airline is based even at DEN. Only hub is United. And Uniteds hubs are more evenly spread than Deltas. I really dont see DEN becoming so huge like ATL or ORD or even DFW.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:00 am

I forgot to add that when i meant Airlines....I mean something bigger than Frontier.....

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:26 am

LOT767-300ER,

The fact that United's hubs are more evenly spread out really doesn't mean much. Who knows what the future will be for United. They may go bankrupt one day, or they may prosper to become the #1 largest airline in the world again. They might decide to double there presence in Denver over a 10 year period. Who knows.

The fact is ORD and ATL are going to reach there limit one day, and airlines will have to think "out of the box" and look at airports with the proper facility and land to expand. Those airports currently are DEN and DFW, the 2 largest airports in North America in land area.

DEN's land area covers more than Manhattan in New York. That's how much land there is around DEN. DEN can build itself 3 times with the land it has. That sort of land will be needed in the future.

Regards

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:18 am

"Those airports currently are DEN and DFW, the 2 largest airports in North America in land area."

So what if they are so huge in land.

I could create a 4 times bigger airport in Wyoming but what would that do.

It all depends on the demand. If United goes bankrupt.....well than we shall see DEN go SMALL and probably see AA expand at ORD.

If theres enough demand then we will have a new airport. In the near future redoing O'Hare will make it a bit better. In the far future we will need a new airport.

Scott4AA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:23 am

I love DFW and hope it moves on up to number 1 in upcoming years. With the new automated people mover and international terminal the airport will be even more amazing! Long live DFW!
American Airlines - We Know Why You Fly

BA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:24 am

Your making airline's sound like they are stupid, LOT767-300ER........

I stand by what I said.

All I can say is you have a lot to learn about the hub-spoke system.

I rest my case.

End of discussion.