philb

Oil Route Competition

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:21 pm

The question I answered about bmi's service from ORD and IAD raised the question of why a company based in Houston should use bmi for the ORD - MAN sector when Continental fly EWR - MAN
(I also am pre-empting the usual flag wavers wanting to know why a US company would use a British airline).

The answer is that bmi operate Aberdeen (which is the UK HQ) - MAN and offered the company rates for the whole journey which pretty much equated to giving the ORD- IAH sector for free.

For the flag wavers, all the tickets are issued by bmi in the UK with United flight numbers for the MAN - ORD and v.v. sector, as the flights across the pond are Star Alliance code share.

Leo

RE: Oil Route Competition

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:33 pm

PhilB:

Oil company executives will choose for airlines that link all oil/gas industry exploration locations and HQ's:

- Houston
- London (Shell, BP)
- The Hague (Shell HQ)
- Vienna (OPEC HQ)
- Aberdeen
- Stavanger
- Tehran
- Tripoli
- Dhahran
- Bahrein
- Doha
- Dubai
- Abu Dhabi
- Almaty
- Caracas
- Jakarta

Question which carriers serve all of these destinations ?

Your routing IAH-ORD-MAN-ABZ is a lot less attractive than IAH-AMS-ABZ, from 15 August 2002 your oil men can continue a day later, ABZ-SVG, to continue SVG-AMS-TIP, or CCS, or THR, etc.

So one of the true oil industry carriers = ...

philb

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:49 pm

Leo,

Fct of life:

They'll choose the carrier that offers the most attractive fare - which currently bmi are doing, at least, on ABZ-Houston for my son in law's company.

Continental used to like to think of itself as the oilman's airline, but I gather it has lost a deal of traffic to carriers keen to meet the oil industry's demand to keep expenditure low.

I gather that for many visits between Houston and the North Sea time is not normally of the essence
but keeping costs to a minimum is.

Strange really in an industry where a single piece of equipment can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and only last a week or so before needing refurbishing or being dumped and where a drilling delay is only regarded as "an economic disaster" when the losses exceed $20 million a day!!

Leo

Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:22 pm

PhilB:

Fully agree that aggressive pricing is part of the fun.

Arrow

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:02 am

Leo --

Add Calgary to that list. It's a big one.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

SR3496

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:33 am

You should also add Lagos (or even better Port Harcourt) as well as Malabo...they are quite important, believe me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos