asgeirs

MK Airlines & MD Airlines?

Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:04 am

Hi!

Does anyone here have any details about the history and ownership of MK Airlines (a cargo airline operating DC-8's and 747's). From a magazine article I read read recently, I understand that MK Airlines was founded by the same people that now run another airline, Icelandic MD Airlines (which operates 4 MD-83 passenger jets).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dennis Yan
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stefan Sjögren

Reykjavik Aviation Photography - Just bring the aircraft to us and we'll photograph them! :-)

philb

RE: MK Airlines & MD Airlines?

Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:29 am

MK Airlines is based in Hartfield, East Sussex, UK, about 18 miles from Gatwick.

Their HQ is in a former country house and the engineering department is in a series of shed in the grounds.

I used to have to visit them on business and it was weird to drive into a country estate and find bits of DC8 and engines in storage around the grounds!

Can't help re the Icelandic operator though.

Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:41 am

MD Airlines was set up by Mike Kruger and an Icelandic partner as a way of getting around the EU/flag of convenience laws. At the end of the day, MK didn't need to use the Icelandic AOC and MD then became a passenger charter company.

philb

Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:45 am

Sorry about the typos in my previous post.

Just a further point about MK, does anyone KNOW for certain how they (and DAS) operate out of UK HQs and yet register their aircraft in African countries?

What is the rule re flags of convenience when applied to aircraft?

Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:19 am

Phil, this is an area that I have long had an interest in. The CAA have been trying to force them to re-register as UK airlines (though they would not qualify under the ownership rules) - both DAS Air and MK put two fingers up at them, as the CAA has no powers over them as foreign carriers.

They can operate fifth freedom flights simply because there are no UK carriers around to compete with them ... Maggie Oldham was right, all those years ago!