hartsfieldboy

Differences In Virgin Econ/Econ Plus?

Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:52 am

I was checking out Virgin Atlantic flights from JFK to LHR, not because I'm planning a trip, I'm just curious, because Virgin is the #1 airline I'd like to fly one day.

Anyway, the cost between these two cities for Economy Plus was about $2200 and for Economy a scant $600. Virgin says that Plus has better seatback tilt, wider seat and free champaigne. But is it really worth it? That's a good $1600 difference. Is Plus pretty much like a Business Class, or glorified Economy and isn't really worth it? I'd like to hear some opinions.

EWRvirgin

RE: Differences In Virgin Econ/Econ Plus?

Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:06 am

Alright! A chance to shamelessly plug another pic of mine!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fernando Gomes

There is a big difference between Premium and regular Economy in terms of leg room and overall space. Whether its worth the price difference is wholly a personal choice. Its a superior seat to regular Eco. but with the same "service" as Eco.

VS11

Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:38 pm

The difference in the prices reflected the difference in demand for those classes for that flight on that day - not the difference in the actual prices. Airlines use yield management which prices tickets according to demand for a particular flight and a class. to check the actual difference,pick up a date far in the future and then check prices for then the available fares would be most likely the cheapest.

Regards,

VS11

hartsfieldboy

Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:32 pm

VS11- I did that, I picked a date in October, and the price was the same as a flight tomorrow.

RightWayUp

Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:13 pm

Ewrvirgin, those seats are actually Upper Class seats!

richardw

Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:49 pm

for restricted premium economy fares check www.deckchair.com and also check www.ba.com as a comparator.

BTW The pick doesn't look Upper Class

RickB

Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:52 pm

If you look at the picture - you can see the premium economy seating just behind the upper class seats (the 2-3-2 section - before it gets to the 2-4-2 economy section).

RickB

richardw

Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:01 pm

The pic is of a Virgin Airbus A340. Probably quite old, I thought new upper class has brown leather seats?

BFS

Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:50 pm

Personally, I wouldn't pay such a huge supplement for any Premium Eco class on any NYC-LON flight - it is a reasonably short hop and a good economy service like BA or VS is fine IMHO. I would probably pay it if it was a much smaller premium, and would definately entertain the idea on a 10hour+ flight, but when I flew JFK-LHR it was shorter than my Airtours flight from Cyprus to Belfast! No thanks...

richardw

Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:57 pm

Sometimes premium economy is available for a supplement of £150, definitely worth it on a 6 hour plus flight.

VirginFlyer

Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:26 am

Richardw - that photo shows the current (new) Upper Class configuration.

V/F
"It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos