ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Need Advice: New York-LGW

Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:21 pm

I'm planning a trip for late Nov. to early Dec. and I'm looking for airfare from the New York area to Gatwick. Any recommendations or suggestions? I'm definetly flying economy. So far for domestic carriers, Continental seems to be the cheapest. I'd like to fly a foreign carrier such as Luftansa but they dont seem to serve LGW. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (creative yet cost effective).

Thanks,
Mike

richardw

RE: Need Advice: New York-LGW

Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:44 pm

Air India to LHR

Icelandair via KEF

Air France to LHR/LCY via Paris

Swiss to LHR/LCY via ZRH

Lufthansa via FRA to LCY

gkirk

Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:04 pm

Continental is the only airline flying New York-Gatwick nonstop.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jayhup

Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:50 pm

Roswell41....just curious....why does it have to be Gatwick? At that time of year BA, AA et al usually offer great deals to LHR and if you have to go to LGW you can always take the Speedlink bus....

JH

ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:08 am

It has to be Gatwick because I'm meeting someone who's coming in on a different flight into there. Logistically it is easier.

Rai

Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:21 am

Perhaps you can get to LGW by connecting through another city, such as Raleigh or Philadelphia. It's not that far of a drive to Philly and USAir is a good airline to Europe.

ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:36 am

I dont mind connecting anywhere, I just dont want to end up in LHR. Gatwick is preferable but LCY could work. Any recommendations, I know economy is economy but how would you rate the service of say Lufthansa, Iberia, USAirways, etc. on that transatlantic segment.

nonrevman

Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:43 am

In your shoes, I would probably go with CO, since they have the lone nonstop. If you do want to try the experience of a foreign carrier, maybe try to make the connecting city not too far out of the way so that you will be well rested to meet your friend. Lufthansa via FRA could work. See if you can take KLM through AMS. AMS is not far from London at all--not sure if KLM serves Gatwick.

Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:46 am

Don't book your tickets until 3 to 4 weeks before you leave. You'll easily pick up something for under $300 RT. You may even get that price including tax. This is a very slow time for the airlines doing transatlantic routes.

OzarkD9S

Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:17 am

How about Aer Lingus through Dublin? Do they still serve LGW?
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:20 am

What's Aer Lingus' service like? Hows the A330 across the pond?

Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:24 am

I have a slow connection, so I can't check prices, but you might want to check out the list of airlines which serve both a NY airport and Gatwick, based in Europe.

I'm not certain, but that might include Air Europa, Alitalia, Iberia, TAP Air Portugal and KLM.

Regards

Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:25 am

PS-Iberia and Alitalia service is reasonable, but not the best Europe has to offer. That award, from my own experience, goes to Virgin.

Regards

Rai

Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:40 am

This is another suggestion. Fly into Heathrow. It's much cheaper and a lot easier from the tri-state area. Take a train to Gatwick. It's pretty simple. The train may be a bit expensive, but it'll save more money than finding a flight to Gatwick. And with the plethora of flights from the NYC area to Heathrow, finding a suitable time shouldn't be a problem. Besides, Gatwick isn't that great of an airport and there's a reason why most carriers prefer going to Heathrow.

englandair

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:28 am

If you fly to Heathrow and take a train between LHR & LGW you can do it two ways:

1) Get the regular bus that runs between LHR's main bus station and Feltham train station. A single costs 70p on the bus. At Feltham station get a London bound train (about every 10-20 minutes) and stay on it until you get to Clapham Junction Station. At Clapham, get off the train and go to platform 13. About every 20 mins is a train to the south coast which stops at LGW. There's a station actually inside LGW's South terminal so the journeys nice and easy. The train will cost about £10 and the journey from LHR to LGW will take about 2 hours, but could be longer.

or option 2!

2) Take the Heathrow Express train direct from LHR to Paddington Station, London. They run every 15 mins and I think the journey only takes about 15-20 minutes. The cost is about £11 single I think.
At Paddington take the London Underground (Tube) on the Circle Line to Victoria. The tube journey will take about 10-15 minutes and probably cost about £2. At Victoria get the Gatwick Express train to LGW, which should cost about £8 and take about 30 mins. Trains depart every 15 minutes.

These might help:
http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/
http://www.heathrowexpress.co.uk/
http://www.thetube.com/
http://www.swtrains.co.uk/

I think there's probably a regular coach shuttle between LGW & LHR, but I'm not sure.

Have a great journey!

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:32 am

US usually have good deals. You could go LGA-PHL-LGW and get to go on the pretty new A330's with a superb IFE and lots of legroom.

TimeForFlight

Incredible

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:44 am

your profile says your 16-20, so, if youre a student in a college and have an email address ending in @____.edu, you could fly Virgin Atlantic for only 276 plus tax... wow, even this one amazes me... actually, the flight over is CO on a 777, returning on a VS 747... the website is studentuniverse.com, the dates i used are 11/25 and 12/12 (im sure other dates are open...)

i highly recommend them if youre a student. if you have questions, let me know...

TimeForFlight

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:46 am

ps... other flight options and combinations on VS/CO are available for that price