GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

I Have No Seat For My Flight! Need Info!

Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:58 am

Hello All !

On Friday I fly FRA-PHL on US AIRWAYS ! The Problem is that I have no seat yet. If I check in on Friday I will probably be asked to volunteer due to a overbooked plane. I will check in very early - so if I volunteer earlier than others I probably have a higher priority of getting a seat , correct ? Well , I don't want to get a seat , I would rather volunteer and get some cash plus a nice night in a FRA hotel. Then , the next day I could have checked in already and get my preferred seat. Do you think it's possible to tell the Agent that I sort of want to have a high chance of staying in FRA instead of getting a seat. I volunteered last year , however I was amongst the first ones and therefore got a free seat. Any answers are thankfully welcomed !
Thank you ,
Patrick
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

trickijedi

RE: I Have No Seat For My Flight! Need Info!

Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:08 am

If you really want to stay at FRA for one more day and eventually receive compensation from the airline, then my suggestion to you is to guarantee a seat on the plane first. When you initially check in, the agent will try to find you a seat. If she succeeds then you are booked. The volunteering process doesn't usually happen until you reach the gate area (unless of course, that is where you initially check in). If you have a guaranteed seat and then they decide to ask for volunteers then you can go ahead and volunteer your seat. But if you don't have a guaranteed seat for the flight then you have nothing to volunteer. So assure your seat first.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:31 am

Ok ! Thanks for the reply. Thats what I will do then.
Greets,
Patrick

AC330

Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:46 am

If it makes you feel any better, as an airline employee myself, I know that airlines (most anyway that I am aware of) hold back about 10-20 percent of the seats for airport assignment only. The res agents don't have the ability to book them. You will have no problem....just show up early and they will assign you a seat.

AC330

AIR757200

Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:10 am

AC330 is right... Only so many seats can be pre-reserved. Many times, if the agent pulls up the seat map, at least half the plane has unreserved seats, but they are for airport check-in. You'll be considered an oversale when the blocked seats are exhausted and only the reserved seats are remaining.

AIR757200

CMK10

Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:58 am

You asked at just the right time! On Friday i had a slowww day at work so i read a USAToday and in there was this article all about bumping:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacations/destinations/2002/2002-07-19-free.htm
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

aq737

Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:21 pm

Yes, a certain amount of seats are allocated to airport personell, but sometimes, on high-yield flights, they already know they are over booked, so at check-in, you can ask. That is what I did on AA...

Aq737

GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:11 am

Thanks alot for all the help !
That article is great.

Appreciate it alot ,
Patrick

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos