Early Air
Topic Author

Express...

Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:48 am

My question here today is about the regional airlines operated by most major airlines (United Express, American Eagle ect.) Why do these major airlines use other carriers to operate these flights. Wouldnt they make more money just buying the aircraft themselves and flying them themselves. These other airlines dont even sell tickets for these flights, they just send you over to the major airline for reservations. I do not see the need for a 3rd party for these regional airlines. Whats the point? Whats your opinion on a 3rd party for a regional airline?

Rgds,
Early Air

flyboy36y

RE: Express...

Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:50 am

American Eagle is WHOLY owned by AMR who also WHOLY owns American

Early Air
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:52 am

Thats interesting, thanks, I didnt know that. So I guess I will ask this about United Express and Delta Connection.

-Early Air

jfwjxn

Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:03 am

American Eagle flights out of SJU are operated by: Executive Airlines, and American Connection is operated by other carriers, US Airways Express is operated by other carriers, and some wholly owned ones, and NW Airlink/NW Jet Airlink is operated by other carriers. Actually the company that owns Mesaba is...: Air Tran Holdings!

Early Air
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:06 am

I know there air many regional airlines operated by other people. But why? Its not like they cant affort the equipment, they can affore new 777 ect..

Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:30 am

Jfwjxn: Mesaba is a public company. It trades under MAIR.

Early Air: It's mostly for the different pay scale. Pay scales in general are lower at the express carriers than at the majors. A CSA at USX makes less than one at US. If it was all one carrier, the unions wouldn't allow it.

That's why the unions are getting their panties in a bundle over the RJ. Airlines like CO use it because employee costs are down. You can now fly RIC-IAH-PSP entirely in an RJ. That's why there are plenty of issues over scope in contracts with pilots.