englandair

New Image For "easyGo"?

Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:32 am

Hello,

With the near take over of Go Fly by easyJet Airlines, are we likely to see a new image for EZY? Yes new paint, new uniforms etc will cost a lot of money, but I've had a few thoughts.....

Firstly, having been formed by BA, GO is about as conservative as a low cost airline can get. Like Buzz, they've always avoided the 'tackiness' that other lo-cos such as EZY and FR have become associated with. Their image has appealed more to businessmen and middle class travelers who prefer to travel on a more traditional airline as opposed to a flying bus. Obviously with the intergration of EZY and GO they'll be left with less of a choice, but inorder to please Go passengers I think it might be a good idea for EZY to 'posh up' their image a bit. You say "easyJet" to a lot of people and they turn their nose up, but Go has a certain class about it, despite being low cost.

My other point is that Go's employees don't seem too keen on joining the "orange army". Many times on Pprune and other websites I've read about how Go employees feel working for EZY is a step down from their current airline. I can't blame them though- I can't think of anything worse than wearing those orange shirts and navy body warmers that are too big and hang off the shoulder!
Perhaps for staff morale a more conservative image could be worked it's way into EZY.

Lastly, despite the fact it's only 7 years old, easyJet's livery is now the oldest in the UK, and with all the new repainting going on with our airlines EZY might not want to be left behind!  Wink/being sarcastic

Go's fleet are all going to have to be repainted and their employees issued with easyJet uniforms, so this change over period would be the perfect chance for Stelios to slowly work in a new image.

I'm not suggesting anything so conservative it looks like Baroness Thatcher designed it or ditching the famous orange, but simply more of a compromise between the images of these two great airlines that will soon become Europe's largest LCC!

Any comments?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aamd11

RE: New Image For "easyGo"?

Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:12 am

I agree they could do with a bit of an image change, but they will prob. turn around and say "we are low-cost and thats why people fly us - to save money" to defend their decision not to change the airline's image one bit.

I hope they do, i certainly wouldnt like to wear THAT uniform

A^A MD-11

BFS

Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:44 pm

Interesting topic, BUT, I have to admit that I think I prefer easyJet's orange shirts to Go's crazy concoction of a uniform! Thats not to say the orange is particularly attractive, but I just remember feeling that Go's was a little too post-modernist, if you know what I mean (I am not sure that I do though!).

Just my opinion

voodoo

Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:13 pm

FWIW the latest Easyjet in-flight mag editorial mentions that they are still mulling over any possible re-branding.
For starters tho, I agree that the F/A shirts should be a less garish (and uncomfortable looking) orange!
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

777236ER

Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:24 pm

The easyJet orange is perhaps the most recognised new brand in the UK! Ask anyone what colour is associated with easyJet and they'll say orange. Any rebranding would be stupid.
Your bone's got a little machine

richardw

Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:25 pm

They definitely do need to do a refresh of image.
I do not like the orange everywhere and the lack of seat allocation.
The go customer and easyJet customer are different and hence to retain the go customers they need to retain some of the preferred go features, otherwise those currently profitable planes to ALC, AGP and FAO may be slightly emptier next summer .

voodoo

Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:19 pm

I am sure they wouldn't ditch orange.
But it might be a good idea to tone it down a bit.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

vfw614

Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:46 pm

They won't - it is all about brand recognition in this market segment where one has to rely on direct marketing.....

srbmod

Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:09 am

Yes, EasyJet is the Big Orange! Look, on the brightside, at least their planes don't look like this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Kelly
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Kelly

I think EasyJet ought to use this GO Fly a/c as the basis of a new livery (I put one of EasyJet's to do a comparison with):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jim Woodrow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerry Hill

OzarkD9S

Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:25 am

If anything called out for an "Air Orange Original" it's this!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

englandair

Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:00 am

STOP! Big grin

I said they should keep the orange- almost everyone in the UK associates orange with EZY so it would be a dreadful idea to ditch such a good 'advert'!

However here in England we have a word for things like the Easyjet livery- MINGING!
I've heard it called a 'pizza delivery plane' before, and I can see why!

Voodoo do you know anything more about EZY considering a rebrand?

IMO, even if they came up with something like the new MyTravel livery (yuck) it would be an improvement on the hideous billboard writing they've got down the side now!