keesje

Is JAL Business Class Getting Better Then SQ 's?

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:04 pm

Objectively is seems the latest JAL Business Class product beats SQ 's .

JAL's new Seasons Shell Flat Seat :

http://www.jal.co.jp/e/inflight/inter/executive/shellflat/images/p3_photo4.jpg

More Pitch (SQ 53-57 inch vs JAL 62 inch) and the catering also seems more extensive and exclusive and SQ is now introducing "old" Ultimo seats in 772ER's Raffles.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bailey

New JAL Service & Catering improvements

- Relax with a Massage before Boarding
- Loungewear Service, Personal Do Not Disturb Signs
- Non-stop Refreshments and Special Healthy In-flight Meals, Self Service Corner
- Soothing Natural Music, New Pillows and Blankets with the Shell Flat Seats
- A built-in massage, Moist or Cool Masks
- Big seat back screen AVOD, Noise-reduction Headphones
- Premium Fruit Juices and Ochazuke Service (hot tea and rice soup) and Herbal Teas

http://www.japanair.com/

Has SQ rationalized its strategy or what ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

9V-SVA

RE: Is JAL Business Class Getting Better Then SQ 's?

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:16 pm

The J class product in 744s and 772ERs will be replaced by a new full-flat bed named the SpaceBed with at least 65" leg room. In any way, the UltimoPlus seats are not "old" Ultimo seats. They are enhanced Ultimo seats.

Sorry, but SIA has offered a "Book-the-Cook" service for about four years now. How can you compare that to JAL? SIA has had AVoD in F and J, also for about four years running.

I wouldn't say there is a lapse in quality.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

SQ772

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:46 pm

Objectively you should compare apples to apples. Wouldn't it be fairer to compare JAL's New Business Class product to SQ's New Business Class product? The photo that you attached is hardly representative of SQ's new business class cabin. The photo shows J class on the 772 that SQ uses on its medium haul routes.

I can't recall the website address that shows SQ's new J class product.

Objectively speaking, I think JAL's New Business Class looks really cool. I could do with one of those moist/cool masks.

There's always a better way to fly...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:31 pm

I thought you were comparing the SpaceBed with the Shell. Obviously not.

SIA is actually introducing the SpaceBed to both Megatops and Jubilee ER planes.

However, as always, SIA has gone down the route of product differentiation which is totally illogical and pointless and I think it's silly. If you're going to have SpaceBed, install it on all 777s, not just 772ERs.

Same with Ultimo seats and SkySuites.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jesseycy

RE: Is JAL Business Class Getting Better Then SQ '

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:33 am

Nah, SQ was way ahead with their business class product when compared to JAL, and the service is still better, what with them introducing the new seats! I think they have more aircraft equipped anyway....

FutureSQPilot

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:52 am

SQ's new Spacebed: http://www.spacebed.co.uk

marcelduchamp

Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:24 pm

1) The picture above is of an SQ 772 that operates purely on regional services. Note the 2-3-2 configuration. It also has a 50" seat pitch. I actually don't think it looks too bad...

2) SQ's 777ERs are configured 2-2-2.

3) All SQ 777s are ER variants. But they are differentiated by these codes...
777ER (long haul/2 class)
772 (short & medium haul/2 & 3 class)
773 ("" " """" """" /3 class)

4) JL's very cool looking 'Shell' seat is likely to be available only on certain American and European services. SQ intends to install the SpaceBed on it's 744s and 777ERs, which comprise nearly HALF of their fleet. Therefore it should be available on a greater variety of routes.

JL's 'Shell' really looks great though! But usually their European catering and the lack of many good English speaking crew lets them down when dealing with non-Japanese pax.