eta unknown

Egyptair To Suspend Syd?

Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:19 pm

Have just heard a report that Egyptair will suspend their twice weekly CAI-SIN-SYD service in August- unsure if SIN will still be served.

There goes another SYD operator...

skippy777

RE: Egyptair To Suspend Syd?

Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:10 pm

Another airline leaving Australia. Maybe in the future we will only be able to fly with Qantas or BA. Are they controlling the market there.

VirginFlyer

Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:45 pm

Has any reason been given as to why this is happening. How odd to have another Middle Eastern carrier drop the market, especially given the very large Middle Eastern populations of Sydney and Melbourne. Will they be replacing it with a codeshare or other form of agreement?

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Britair

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:11 pm

I think the main reason (other than the questionable economics of the Australia route) is competition from Emirates. Up until Emirates started services Australia was served by GulfAir, EgyptAir and MEA. All three have now been forced to quit because of Emirates strength in the market, IMHO.

Cheers  Smile

airmale

Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:04 am

Will QF ever enter the Middle East market again?
.....up there with the best!

zizou

Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:04 am

Didn't Qantas once fly to Bahrain sometime in the 80s?

eta unknown

Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:14 am

Emirates had no effect on Egyptair's decision to quit SYD- Egyptair fare levels are considerably lower (as were MEA's and Gulf Air's). In addition, Egyptair fares (in all classes) to SIN, the Middle East and Europe are the lowest of any carrier.

Qantas to Bahrain- they most certainly did fly there (LHR-BAH-SIN-SYD) and there are no plans to re-enter the Middle East market.

Ex_SQer

Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:39 am

Zizou,
QF's flights to BAH were due to technical necessity as planes at that time could not do SIN-LHRvv nonstop. I doubt that they plan to go back into the MidEast anytime in the foreseeable future.

yyz717

Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:06 pm

I never understood how there could be much of a market from Egypt to Aus anyway.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

MEA

Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:35 pm

MEA dropped services to Sydney way before Emirates entered the market.

There is a substantial market between the Middle East & Australia, however comparing Emirates to Egypt air is like comparing apples & oranges. Egypt Air has no PTVs, the aircraft are dirty & service isn't that crash hot.

Ryanair!!!

Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:16 pm

MEA now code shares with Malaysia Airlines on the KUL-SYDvv sector. So they are not exactly 100% out. Gulf Air still flies to SYD and MEL from Singapore.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

LanChileA340

Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:24 pm

What I have heard from internal sources in Chile, is that apparently in early 2003, LanChile will commence to fly a Madrid-Beirut-Denpasar-Sydney sector 3 times a week with the A340-313X under a oneworld alliance codeshare with Iberia Airlines of Spain. It has also been said that Qantas may also add a flight number of theirs to codeshare on this oneworld route. This flight linking Spain with Lebanon, Indonesia and Australia, has come about in the midst of growing traffic between these destinations and to top it all off, the heavy load between Lebanon and Australia. There has been a forecast of very heavy loads on this future flight because of the usual flow between Sydney and Denpasar, also between Sydney and Beirut and also between Madrid and Denpasar. LanChile has been chosen to work as a oneworld linkage carrier on RTW fares. As of yet, nothing has been confirmed, but talks and conferences have been going on in Santiago, Chile and Madrid also in relation to the issue.

airmale

Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:05 am

So theres a market for QF in Lebanon, infact I heard some where that they are considering Beirut as a possible future destination.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daryl Chapman

.....up there with the best!

eta unknown

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:03 am

With SYD-BEY market fares hinging around A$1200 return, that's one route Qantas wont touch.

Ryanair!!!- Gulf Air don't fly their own metal to SYD/MEL anymore- it's a Qantas codeshare from SIN. In addition, after the wthdrawal, most Gulf Air staff in Australia were let go. As for MEA- well, they pretty much are out of the market- there are hardly any fares available via travel agents- you have to go to the Lebanese community suburbs to find them.

MEA

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:26 am

It seems strange that Lan Chile would consider flying MAD/BEY/DPS/SYD? I would have thought Iberia a better candidate.

I rang up a travel agent in the Lebanese community & I was quoted an airfare of approximately $1700 with Emirates. A large number of people will pay the extra $200 or so to fly Emirates over Egypt Air.

I have also heard rumours about QF commencing flights into Beirut, but they would have to compete with Emirates and at this stage I don't think they can. The service (from experience) on both carriers is uncomparable.

nickofatlanta

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:33 am

If LanChile started that route, they would offer the only current RTW service on a single airline.  Smile