BWIA 772
Topic Author

Bwia Makes Loss

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:02 pm

BWIA has delayed the delivery of its second Airbus A340-300 after reporting a loss of US 8 million compared to a profit of US 7.1 for the coresponding period last year. The airline has also been affected by the actions of their pilots who called in sick, such actions although always detrimental has been made worst as this period is the busiest time for the airline during the world. Even though the airline has restrcutured it looks that if such a trend continues that the structure of the organisation has to be looked at again.

While on this regional note Air Jamaica pilots have rejected the lastest wage offer made by that airline however a new is expected to be made in the nest 3 weeks. The last wage agreement ended in October of 2000 with negotiations going on for 2 years now.
Eagles Soar!

chepos

RE: Bwia Makes Loss

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:54 pm

There is a very good article on both issues on the Caribbean AirNews(CaribbeanAvenue.com)
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:18 pm

That is where I got my info from. However I am wondering if the 340 will be with BWIA to say as if they contiue making a loss whether they would take the aircraft. I also wonder how did Air Jamaica do they have 3 340s now along with a massive narrow bodied fleet. Does anyone know what the figures for AJ/JM are.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

voodoo

Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:51 pm

Profits and efficiencies aside,
Air Jamaica can rely more on its organized tourist industry to fill and, dare I say `subsidize', seats/capacity.
BW/Trinidad/East.Caribbean travellers are more fragmented across the board and so it is more difficult for BW to marshall the same sort of financial resources even though, in theory, the T+T govt. (such as it is given the current parliamentary situation) has its oil and gas tax revenue to draw on.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:18 pm

Well although that might be true about Air Jamaica I would still like to see how JM is doing compared to its operations last year but I guess these figures will come out once the airline is no longer opearting in the Red.

However from the spotters point of view this loss by BWIA has pro longed the life of the L1011. Thus in that regard it is like a stray dog that would not go away, as they were to go since 1997 and they are still here although the size of the 1011 fleet has been reduced. Does anyone know which of the 2 reamaing 1011s underwent heavy maintenance recently.
Eagles Soar!

9Y-ISA

Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:33 am

From what I know, 9Y-THA went through heavy maintenance recently which leave 9Y-TGJ. When the A340 was delivered they officially retired TGJ so I very much doubt it that they did the maintenance on it. Unless they brought it back into service again????

trintocan

Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:27 am

Well well, the circumstances are certainly stacking up in favour of the TriStar - if the operations are put under too much strain -TGJ may have to be returned to action as it is still airworthy.

I wonder what caused BW so much loss - the September 11 thing will certainly have accounted for some, the Category 2 downgrade too - it's hard to think of what else, apart from the current industrial action, is to blame.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!