ChautauquaFA
Topic Author

Tailcone Exit On AirTran's 717.......

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:26 pm

Last week I took AirTran up to PHL and was in the last row of the aircraft, in the aisle seat. When the announcement came for FA's to prepare doors for departure and crosscheck. The FA in the rear quickly ran to the back door and did something to the door but I couldn't really see that well. Can you actually arm and disarm the slide for the tailcone exit? I'm pretty sure that those slide packs are always "armed." Thanks.

Derek

jmhLUV2fly

RE: Tailcone Exit On AirTran's 717.......

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:43 pm

Yes, you can arm and disarm the back door to the tailcone, the reason I am aware of this is that last week, I stayed with an AirTran mechanic for a routine check of the airplane, he went to the back of the plane, disarmed the door and looked around with a flashlight making sure all was the way it was suppose to be.....essentially beyond the door there is small bridge like structure that deadends just before the pointed cone (pointed meaning the design given to the MD-83, 87, 90 and 717, cone)....if ever in that seat again, there is an ever so small glass hole, a peap hole if you will where you can see what I am talking about just beyond the door, but obviously dont ever open it, as the door does infact stay armed until disarmed...
JMH

astrojet

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:50 pm

I have it seen once in a DC-9, it´s a platform that goes straight back to the tailcone (instead of down) wich gets away in case of emergency. You can see in the safety cards the drawing of the plane is with the tailcone off.

travatl

Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:12 pm

It's not a true "arming/disarming" mechanism (i.e. girtbar). With the advent of the Super-80, Douglas developed a secondary handle on the tailcone door, that not only opened the door but pushes a "pin" up thru a small opening in the top of the door that (when the door is opened) will trigger the jettison of the tailcone, and inflation of the slide.

The "arming/disarming" of this door is basically a 12" by 18" flap (covered in the same fabric as the flight attendant jumpseat headrests) that covers this "secondary handle". When "disarmed", the flap is over the handle, so that it is not inadvertantly pulled by ground crew. When "armed", the flap, is flipped down over the primary door handle (which only opens the door to the tailcone and catwalk) so that the red secondary handle is exposed for easy access during evacuation. This is the same mechanism on all MD80, MD90, and 717 series aircraft. The next time you fly on one of these aircraft...notice the aft boarding door during boarding. You'll see the "flap" flipped up over the red handle, and only the silver handle exposed. After pushback, and until gate arrival, you'll see the "flap" flipped down and the red secondary handle (actually covered by a red "remove in case of emergency/evacuation" small plastic cover).

Hope this makes sense...once you look at it...it will.

Travis

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos