MAH4546
Topic Author

AA Suspends MCI-LGA

Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:47 am

American Airlines has suspened Kansas City-LaGuardia days before service starts. The suspension is until at least November. On the brighter side, rumorus are that American MAY be starting up Miami-Kansas City this fall.
a.

AirT85

RE: AA Suspends MCI-LGA

Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:49 am

Any particular reason listed??
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

Tbird

Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:51 am

Greetings:

Not that I don't believe your but where did you read this, there's nothing on AMR's website about it? Some fact to back up your statement would be nice. American did some reasonably heavy advertising in Newsday about New York to Kansas city. Seems like a waste of money to now suspend the service.

Regards
Tom

chepos

Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:02 am

Tbird it's not the first time AA does this, they have announced other routes and even before they start the service they might just push the startup date back or just not serve the route. Sometimes they do this because the flight is not selling as well as they would have predicted, there might be other reasons as well.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

RJNUT

Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:05 am

We have been screaming!! for MIA svc and then AA goes and adds LGA svc. in a low yield Vanguard market..Not a good move..Not sad to see this move...You cant beat MIdwest Express for comfort and convenience on LGA-MCI..

BA

Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:29 am

MIA is lacking domestically when it comes to cities west of the Mississippi.

There is a reason for that though, there is not a very large domestic market west of the Mississippi from Southern Florida. This is why Miami's domestic market is based mostly in the East and not so much out west.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:43 pm

BA, the Miami-California market is huge, and Miami-Colorado, as you know, is very large too. The real reason for the lack of flights west is because the connecting oppurtunities are limited. Not saying your wrong, because the South Florida-West Coast market is not as huge as others, but it is still the 5th largest trans-con market, and that is nothing small.
a.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:45 pm

Oh yeah, and the source is that it is no longer bookable on aa.com. Also mentioned at both FlyerTalk and USAviation.
a.

738_Driver

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:13 pm

As I am the one that canceled it, let me confirm that it has indeed been defered.

SegmentKing

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:51 pm

what they do is "ZERO" out the flights, they dont' "cancel" them... which is why you probably went to "aa.com" to look it up.

think outside the box. Try ITN.NET and look up full availability.... :P if it's zero'd out, that means no one can sell it.... and check a few dates in the future... if it's still zero'd out, then you know it's non existent

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

738_Driver

Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:24 pm

Well here you're wrong, Nate. It has indeed been canceled thru to at least November. This I know 100%

SegmentKing

Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:38 pm

I'm suggesting how to TELL if a flight is being cancelled, before it's announced. United did this to JFK-HKG, it was zero'd out on every future flight... it was like that for about a week before they did the press release announcing it. United also did this for ORD-TVC, which never came to be.

I was suggesting that the user probably went to AA.COM to see if the flights were still there, and they probably were, just couldn't sell a seat on it.

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:47 pm

Not sure if this is true or not, the route is heavily promoted in the NY press, for reasons I cannot quite understand, I mean NYC-Kansas City is not exactly a high capacity, ultra-busy route, but AA did indeed cancel it, I can see why. Vanguard has the route and for a short time, so did Midwest Express. I don't really understand what American wants to do in the NY area. It says it is going to add flights then drops them (JFK-AMS is another example). American wants to be a major player in the NYC market (and it is) but it does face a lot of competition from Delta and JFK and LGA, Continental at EWR, and from JetBlue at JFK, not to mention US Airways, which despite its financial condition, is the second or third busiest carrier at LGA, behind #1 Delta.

ContinentalEWR

AA717driver

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:22 am

Some of the flights were to be flown out of the STL crew base. I had a couple of pairings to choose from which already had the segments cancelled.

MIA-MCI should do well because of all the midwesterners who flock to the cruise ships and Carribean.TC
FL450, M.85

BA

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:28 am

MAH4546,

California is different.  Smile

It's the most populated state in the entire country. California is ALWAYS an exception to anything.  Smile

Regarding Colorado, probably because of ski.

You guys down in southern Miami can't ski (except water ski) so you come up and flood Colorado.  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

TWFirst

Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:20 am

I just got a promotional flyer in the mail yesterday from AA about this route. They really did spend some dough to promote this route. How weird they postpone it at the last minute.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

AirT85

Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:27 am

738_driver:
Are you allowed to share the reason the route was cancelled? if not i understand but i am curious to know why they cancelled it!

tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos