Alitalia777
Topic Author

How To Get Into Economy Plus On UA?

Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:56 am

Hello all,
How can I get into Economy Plus on United? My parents are FF's of the first bracket, but they have a ton of miles. Could I use the old 'I'm a teenager traveling alone so I need to be towards the front of the plane' speech? Any other suggestions? If you work for United and can get me up there, that would be appreciated  Smile

Alitalia777

747-600X

RE: How To Get Into Economy Plus On UA?

Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:29 am

Fly American, saves you the trouble of worrying about it  Big grin

ual777contrail

Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:34 am

alitalia777,
first you made the right decision on who you are flying,second ask someone if they would put you up front.it doesnt hurt to ask,just check-in early enough.

ual 777 contrail

ILUV767

Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:36 am

If your parents are premier members, Economy Plus™ is guarenteed to them. Have them purchase the ticket for you, or atleast enter their MP number at ual.com and you shoould have Y+ seats as a selection.

I L U V 7 6 7

doug_or

Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:39 am

I've goten bumped up twice when asking for a window seat at the gate. they take your ticket and as boarding finnishes up call your name to give you your ticket back or issue a new one. Got econ plus on united and a first class on TWA (my only time, though only for 45 minutes)
When in doubt, one B pump off

Dazed767

Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:41 am

Pay for it? Just a wild idea.

ual777contrail

Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:52 am

iluv767,
only two things guarenteed in life, taxes and death. not e plus seats.
just because your a premier doesnt mean you are guerenteed a good seat.
i see a lot of premiers who get middle seats or non e plus seats.

ual 777 contrail

v jet

Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:04 am

Why do teenagers travelling alone need to be towards the front of the plane?

Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:30 am

How to get into Economy Plus:

A.) Prereserve seat
1.) Person traveling must be Mileage Plus Premiere or better.
2.) Person is on a full fare or high fare ticket.

B.) Airport check-in
1.) Ask and be granted an Economy Plus seat not already assigned.
2.) Be put on departure management to get a seat if one is left after elites are seated there.

ILUV767

Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:36 am

Ual777contrail wrote:
only two things guarenteed in life, taxes and death. not e plus seats.
just because your a premier doesnt mean you are guerenteed a good seat.
i see a lot of premiers who get middle seats or non e plus seats.

Nice of you to burst his bubble.  Insane
Economy Plus is supposed to be avalible for selection (which means guarenteed if they select to sit in the premier zone on an aircraft) if someone is a premier above. If they dont get it, it could have been becuase they did not select it, or things got moved around. Being a Premier, you can select Y+ at the time of seat selection.

I L U V 7 6 7

Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:47 am

Economy Plus is supposed to be avalible for selection (which means guarenteed if they select to sit in the premier zone on an aircraft) if someone is a premier above. If they dont get it, it could have been becuase they did not select it, or things got moved around. Being a Premier, you can select Y+ at the time of seat selection.

I believe the privileges associated with elite frequent flyer are only applicable if the person traveling is elite, or accompanied by an elite (which in this case, he is neither).

ILUV767

Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:45 pm

Seiple wrote:
I believe the privileges associated with elite frequent flyer are only applicable if the person traveling is elite, or accompanied by an elite (which in this case, he is neither).

If the status holder books the seats, as far as I know, the seat selection is honored. Last time I checked, on United.com, you select your seats before entering your name.

I L U V 7 6 7

Ex_SQer

Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:58 pm

ILUV767:
Nope. I am a Premier Executive. I have repeatedly purchased tickets for my domestic partner, who is a diving (springboard and platform) coach and who travels for competitions, and I have repeatedly been told that they cannot assign Y+ to him unless I happen to be travelling on the same PNR (same flight different PNR doesn't count). The fact that he is 6'6" doesn't sway UA either.

FTraveler

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:09 pm

Non-elite paxs who were somehow or another holding E+ seat assignments have been downgraded at check-in. Your best bet is to ask at the gate. Gate agents have this discretion and will usually give E+ seat assignments only if coach is really full.

Another way to get E+, which is inapplicable here, is if the pax is a Star Alliance Gold or Silver member.

SegmentKing

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:56 pm

United is developing a system to prevent non-qualifying flyers into Economy Plus... about time!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm sick of UA putting people in the middle seat (when it's blocked, a Star Gold / Premier Exec benefit) when it's wide open in Economy.... I've now been on 3 flights where the agents have assigned the middle seat to a non-qualifying traveler and there were windows and aisles open in the back... if it's a non-rev, that's cool.... but otherwise, I wish UA would keep their promises to the elite...

it's one thing if the row is open and they put people up there, but why pack people in economy plus if it's wide open???

Btw, when United.com ER's your record, it checks the FF# put in and the name, if they aren't elite, then the seats are HX'd and you don't get a thing (you have to call for seats)...

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~