ORDUAL24

Is Nrsa Flying A "benefit" Anymore?

Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:45 am

I work for UAL and even with decent seniority, it is almost impossible to fly to even the historically unpopular destinations! Who says we are losing money? And any other airlines having this problem???

nonrevman

RE: Is Nrsa Flying A "benefit" Anymore?

Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:57 am

I will agree that travel to many places is becoming more challenging with higher load factors and reduced capacity. In some cases, the buddy pass fares are comparable to some of the prices I have seen on confirmed tickets!

With that said, I will say that nonrev travel is not virtually impossible. Yet, it is more challenging these days. It is always good to have backup plans. Knowing the route structure of your airline and carrying an up to date schedule can be a life saver in the event of an unforseen problem. Yes, standby travel is more "fragile" these days. It does not take much to make the trip home a challenge. It could be bad weather, a cancellation of your flight, the impact from the cancellation of another flight, that party of 10 that just showed up at the gate, etc. etc. Of course, it is summertime which is the heaviest travel season.

Hopefully my wife and I will briefly see Europe next week, but I would sure not want to try that with a buddy pass.

Jeff G

Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:02 pm

Who says we are losing money?

Confusing high load factors with profitable yields. Common mistake.

DL_Mech

Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:37 pm

I'm buying $600 worth of tickets on DL next week.....For nonstop ATL-DEN tickets. I'm not going to chance travelling to DEN on a weekend.

I travelled 8600 miles on paid DL tickets last year....Sometimes a 1991 hire date just doesn't cut it.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

FutureFO

Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:51 pm

Well lets see here if the planes are full of Rev pax, yes it is a good thing, Bad because they have to lower the fares to attract the business. With the fares out there nowadays the airlines are barely breaking even on the traditionally heavy flights. I have been NonRevving for 6 years and it does get harder every year. Therefore you have to bite the bullet and travel when you do not want to. My friend and I both have flown in aboot the 400,000 mile mark this year alone. And around USD30,000.
I Don't know where I am anymore

artsyman

Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:03 pm

I still find that if I can be flexible, and keep and eye on the loads, I still manage to get on 99.9% of the flights I go for. I would also say for the 150 odd times that I have flown the IAH>LGW route, I have managed to get Businessfirst for all but 5 of them.

Continental is reknowned for having more or less the highest loads in the industry, so It isn't like I am lucky because I non rev on them

Jeremy

FLY777UAL

Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:09 pm

The only problem I have encountered non-revving since the 11th is on one trip to Hawaii. They had denied boardings on the SFO-HNL leg, so instead, I got on SFO-KOA in First, and then bought an ID-90 on Hawaiian ($28...Aloha was $18.50) for KOA-HNL, which solved the problem.

Okay...I lied. I've had two problems since the 11th. Getting out of Sacramento is a biatch now, as United took away all but one of the Shuttle flights to LAX and replaced them with CRJ's which run consistently full (+2 over, generally) with very low no-show rates. Furthermore, the lack of Shuttle flights has also been felt on the SMF-SFO EMB-120 flights which like LAX trips, also run very full with low no-shows.

Other than those two, nothing has been a problem since the 11th. I guess the fact that I have March of '72 seniority also helps a bit... Big grin (Thanks, Mom!)

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

ual777contrail

Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:48 am

jeff g,
UNITED say we are still losing money. we were burning through 15 million a day at first and now it is at less than 1 million a day.these are of coarse from UNITED and their info isnt always correct.we have full flights and low prices is what they say,i think we are doing much better.

i have taken maybe 2 or 3 trips here recently and here is one.

i went DEN-LAX
LAX-DEN

i got business class on both flights,nothing has changed,fall time is coming and you will get first class anywhere.

iti s always bad in the summer,so to answer your queston yes non-reving is still a benifit.

just out of curiosity what is your seniority?

ual 777 contrail

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos