ammunition

Hajj Terminal At Delhi International Airport

Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:09 pm

Hi, i recently flew back from delhi, and on my way to the airport, i noticed a large building just on the way to terminal II, it was called the hajj terminal. I didnt know there would be a specific terminal for the hajj pilgrims, do many other airports have something similar?
How many flights does india have to hajj?

Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

MoeKha786

RE: Hajj Terminal At Delhi International Airport

Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:50 pm

Wow, I would never think India would even allow something like that, a whole terminal for Muslim pilgrims? That's cool, India does have a 200 million Muslim population, so maybe during the Hajj time they all fly into Delhi first, then get flown to Jeddah on 747's. That's interesting, do other countries with significant Muslim populations have designated Hajj hubs? Indonesia? Pakistan?

B747-437B

Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:07 am

There is no permanent Hajj Terminal at DEL or any of the 10 Hajj gateways from India. However, this year, Air India experimented with off-site checkin for pilgrims traveling from BLR, MAA, DEL, CCU, CCJ, LKO and HYD. The facility you saw was the off-site checkin center. Use of such facilities reduces the strain on the normal terminal operations during the crunch of Hajj charters. Hajj pilgrims are checked in, pre-cleared for customs and immigration formalities and undergo security checks in the dedicated off-site area before being transported directly to the aircraft. Hajj pilgrims flying through BOM, COK or SXR still use the facilities at the main terminal.

This year Air India and Indian Airlines operated a total of 144 dedicated Hajj charters, plus 102 dedicated Hajj charters by Saudi Arabian Airlines. AI also operated 26 scheduled extra sections in addition to the 9x weekly service to JED. A total of 70,514 pilgrims traveled on these charters, plus an additional 19,750 on scheduled services.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

airmale

Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:07 am

In Pakistan only Karachi has a Hajj terminal it was previously Terminal 3 and handled international flights. Sadly it lies idle throughout the year otherwise. Some people have suggested it be gievn to teh private airlines Shaheen and Aero Asia for their operations, neither of the two use the jetways at Jinnah terminal anyways at present so it does make sense.
.....up there with the best!