bobcat

JFK Security Forced Mother To Drink Her Own Milk!

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:37 am

Having just read the story below on Yahoo News....
I don't know which is worse:

(A) the security guy who ordered the woman to try her own breast milk...  Nuts

or

(B) this woman calling her own breast milk "very disgusting" !!!???  Wow!

or

(C) both  Big thumbs up

IMHO, she should have just lifted her shirt up and squirted the security screener.... then again, she'd be arrested and charged with using a dangerous weapon!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

.......................................................................................

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nypost/20020808/lo_nypost/sour_experience

A Long Island mother is fuming that JFK Airport security guards forced her to drink her own breast milk in front of other passengers before boarding a flight - to prove she wasn't carrying any dangerous fluid to wreak havoc.

"It was very uncomfortable and very embarrassing and very disgusting," said Elizabeth McGarry, 40, of the April 2 incident.

"I'm all for security and everything, but that was a little much."

McGarry, who first described her ordeal on Ron Kuby and Curtis Sliwa's WABC Radio show Tuesday, told The Post she was weighing a suggestion from Kuby, a civil-rights lawyer, that she sue.

An accountant who lives in Oceanside, McGarry was bound for Florida on a Delta flight when she was singled out for a random search before boarding.

After her baby daughter, Maggie, was taken out of her arms, a male guard went through her bag, and asked what was in three bottles, she claimed.

"I said, ‘That's the milk for the baby.' And he said, ‘You have to drink it.' And I said, ‘I can't, it's breast milk,' " McGarry recalled. "He said, ‘You have to drink it, or you can't get on the plane.' "

The guard refused her offer to daub some milk on her arm, and lick it off herself, she claimed.

"He said, ‘You have to drink from all three bottles," she said.

She did so, taking several sips from each.

Kuby said, "I'm all for random searches . . . but I do think the number of Caucasian, lactating mothers who have passed through al Qaeda training camps is negligible."

McGarry's story echoes that of a Dallas lawyer, Colleen Carboy, who told The Post that in January, she was ordered to drink from a bottle of breast milk that she was carrying onto a plane in Austin, Texas. Carboy said she refused, but was allowed to board after a female security supervisor intervened.

Sebastian Warren, spokesman for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, which oversees all airport security screeners, said the agency issued a policy in recent months telling screeners that they should not order fliers to drink a liquid before being allowed to board.

Warren conceded, "We have had a few instances where people have been asked to take a sip of liquid they're bringing" aboard a plane.

But he said that current rules require only that any liquid be carried in a resealable container that can be sent through a scanning machine without spilling.

flyingbronco05

RE: JFK Security Forced Mother To Drink Her Own Milk!

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:41 am

You heard about this from "The View" huh?

The security guards are/were just doing there job. These security guards just can't get a break. When they do there job, they get ripped on by passengers. When they don't do there job, they get ripped on by passengers.

Give them a break.

I think what they did was good. You should have to drink what you are holding.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

crank

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:45 am

I'm gonna say just like her:

"I'm all for security and everything, but that was a little much."

There are limits.

Boeing757/767

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:46 am

I heard this on the radio news this morning. As a new father and the husband of a breast-feeding mother, I am absolutely outraged. I will be flying with family soon, and if that happens to us .... I don't know what I'd do. I am really mad about this. Normally, I'd side with security. But having a baby changes your perspective.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

bobcat

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:47 am

What is "The View" ? (an airline magazine or something?)

I agree with you. The security was only doing his job.

The woman calling referring to her own milk as "disgusting" is really the funny part...  Big grin (then again, I can understand it, as I had a major fight with my ex-wife when I refused to try her milk)

AirT85

Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:53 am

The View is a talkshow with about 5 female hosts, headed up by Barbara Walters.
tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

EWRvirgin

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:04 am

No, they weren't doing there job. If they paid attention to and were consistent with TSA directives and releases as they are issued then this wouldn't have happened.

The skies would be alot safer if they stopped with this random non-sense and used profiling not only to more effectively screen pax but also to speed up and streamline the whole process.

rabenschlag

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:08 am

i am wondering how long it will take until we read:

"JFK Security Forced Lawyer To Drink His Own Semen!"

sorry, just trying to be tasteless,

r.

b757300

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:09 am

I heard this Tuesday but couldn't find an article from a news source anyone would believe.

Security is totally out of control. These low life, high school dropout rejects actually seem to pull this kind of crap on purpose. I know this will probably start flames but I really don't care. I think the main reason these screeners do this is revenge. Many of them are from lower classes of society and many are minorities. They see the middle and upper classes going through the airports everyday and they know they do not have the economic advantage to do the same thing. Out of nothing but pure spite, they hassle honest Americans just to exact some measure of revenge.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

FLYING MACHINE

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:09 am

Where are the human rights ? Is it legal? Where is the freedom of people?

Marcus

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:10 am

Airport security.......driven by minnimum wage
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

planefreak

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:10 am

Sick, just plain sick! If you see a mother with a child, you know it is going to be milk. Common sense goes a long way this day and age.

planefreak

airsicknessbag

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:15 am

>>>If you see a mother with a child, you know it is going to be milk

Umm, no. I have no problem with making people prove their unsealed bottles do actually contain what they´re supposed to. But taking one sip or having the baby take one sip would have been sufficient, making that poor woman drink all the bottles is exaggerated.

I wonder what was highest, the room temperature in Celsius, the combined IQs of the screeners involved or their shoe size.

Daniel Smile

pacificjourney

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:30 am

I accidentally drank some of my sisters breast milk once. Yep, disgusting !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

777kicksass

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:15 am

haha only in America that is waaaay over the top.

hkg82

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:33 am

That's disgusting & totally unnecessary. The security guard was completely out of line. Ok, he was just doing his job & you've got to consider the situation from his perspective but he could've used some common sense. He still wasn't convinced that the liquid in the bottles weren't harmful when the woman offered to daub some of the milk on her arm & lick it off, so from his point of view, she posed a threat (as ridiculous as that sounds), what was he thinking?!

Hkg82.

shaun3000

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:42 am

Ignoring the fact that the security guards are being unnecessarially cruel, regulations do not require you to drink any fluid you bring onboard an airplane. Why, do you ask? Because I could be a doctor bringing semen, urine, or other liquids onboard for transport. Or I could be bringing insulin onboard for diabetese. YOu can't expect me to drink this stuff or take an injection if it's not time!

Furthermore, don't tell me that they're just doing their job and we are way behind security in other countries. I flew to Zurich, Switzerland a year and a half ago. My flight home was out of Frankfurt. The security there was VERY tight. They interviewed every single person before they were even allowed into the preboarding area. Once in the pre-board, you couldn't leave. They asked me all the standard questions and several that were not asked in America (And STILL aren't!) They quizzed be on the contents of my bag. THey asked who manufactured the electronic items. All kinds of questions designed to catch a terrorist offguard. A couple of us had drinks and you know what? Not a single person asked us to drink from the container in order to take it onboard.

Much of the "security" in the USA is nothing more than a twisted perversion of what it should be. The security guards in many of these stories are either too stupid to think rationally (not allowing a 2-inch GI Joe AK47 onboard the airplane.) or get a perverse enjoyment out of tourmenting others. (Strip-searching pilots, making people drink fluids they bring onboard, such as breast milk and pond water, etc.) I'm all for security but what we have, right now, does not make air travel safer. It just turns people off of traveling.

prosa

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:59 am

I accidentally drank some of my sisters breast milk once. Yep, disgusting !

I will assume that it was from a bottle  Smokin cool
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ouboy79

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:00 am

Bronco said: >>You heard about this from "The View" huh?<<
Bobcat said: >>Having just read the story below on Yahoo News.... <<

Bronco said: >>The security guards are/were just doing there job.<<
TSA said: >>the agency issued a policy in recent months telling screeners that they should not order fliers to drink a liquid before being allowed to board.<<

Bronco said: >>These security guards just can't get a break.<<

I think they get plenty of breaks during the day.  Smile

Bronco said: >>When they do there job, they get ripped on by passengers.<<
Perhaps they should start doing it.  Smile

Bronco said: >>When they don't do there job, they get ripped on by passengers. <<
Well they didn't do their jobs, correctly here.  Smile

Bronco said: >>Give them a break.<<
When they start doing their jobs correctly, sure!

Bronco said: >>I think what they did was good. You should have to drink what you are holding. <<

Obviously the people incharge of this nation's security disagrees with you. So if they have shampoo...nail polish remover...colonge...they should have to drink it? According to your logic. The baby bottles were packed away...just like the aforementioned items would be. This was purely a decision made by a poorly informed security guard to have this woman drink her own milk. I'm sure he didn't make her drink the baby oil too...even though that is in a reusable container and could have any number of clear "chemicals" put in it...like hydrogen oxide.  Big grin

pacificjourney

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:07 am

Suppose I asked for that. Yes, from a bottle.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

flyingbronco05

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:09 am

I didnt read the story that was provided, i was going off what was said on tv. Perhaps if i read the article i would have known that the milk was packed away.

I also meant that if something is drinkable then the people should drink it. I feel like a security guard now. So give me a break Big grin
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

wn700driver

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:11 am

Airsicknessbag,

I am going to say shoe size, but in American, lol. All jokes aside, this is completely bogus. A competent terrorist will still get through. I also don't think profiling will help much either. Here in the USa I can see that working, but only towards making a lot civil barristers much wealthier.
For those who say they are doing their jobs & their damned if they do/do not, etc... Well, maybe they should get different jobs then if they don't want to be called bullies. Because really, that's what the are. They offer absolutley no saftey increases, they add needless time to any trip & they trample all over rights supposedly guarunteed by their nation's constitution. Above all I find it curious that no one has yet realized that a state that paranoid may not actually be worth defending at that point...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

boeingrulz

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:13 am

Why was that mother feeding her baby something she wasn't willing to drink herself? What is so disgusting about human milk, especially straight from the source •) ?

Just wondering...

I flew last month and took 2 Diet Coke in the bottles through security, I got an espresso drink in the terminal and took both onto the plane. What does this tell you, except that I am addicted to caffeine? That security is quite lax, even in this new "more secure" environment. Careful and intelligent screening is important, not random milk drinking.

Carolyn

AZFAN

Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:48 am

If the screener wasn't comfortable with the woman and really felt that the milk was a threat why didn't he just call over a supervisor and let them make the call, he should of used discretion.

bobcat

Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:04 am

Look on the bright side, at least all of the security screeners in this country are smarter than Anna Nicole Smith. As you know, she is nearly illiterate, according to the U.S. federal judge in his court decision papers.

99.99% of the security screeners I have encountered are very nice people, but as with any profession, there are black sheeps. Fortunately, the worst I have encountered was being asked to remove my socks at ORD a few weeks ago. They thought I had something under my socks, which turned out to be my big feet...

Dazed767

Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:21 am

It also helps if the screeners speak english (bad expericence in MIA haha). From what I've heard, breast milk is pretty nasty. She shouldn't have had to drink it. But I'm sure that idiot screener has 0 common sense left anyways.

Trvlr

Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:20 am

I've been asked to take a swig from an open water/drink bottle when going through security before. And this was before 9/11. The woman was just carrying the wrong thing at the wrong time Big grin.

Aaron G.

akelley728

Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:00 am

Bobcat:

I don't believe that the woman was calling her own breast milk 'very disgusting'. She was referring in general to the incident: uncomfortable, embarrasing, disgusting.

Boeingrulz:

Again, I think she was referring to the incident as being 'disgusting'. She didn't want to drink out of the bottles because once you've opened them up, they're basically contaminated.

Anyway, like Boeing 757/767, I'm also a father of a new-born, and my wife breast-feeds. This incident really steams me up. We'll all be flying down to Florida in October, they better have this straighened out by then.

BTW, I've tried breast milk, it's not bad (especially from the source!  Smokin cool  Smile )

Thumper

Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:41 am

I happen to agree this was a sick incident but B757300 calling all airport security low life high school drop-out rejects shows your ignorance!I happen to know one in FLL who is a retired Navy Captain and I am sure he wouldn't call all collage students low life idiots like you!

DragonRapide

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:47 pm

What it comes down to basically is this: terrorists didn't take away your freedom (over the top security), it's the reaction of the US authorities that has done that.
If your authorities don't start realising very soon that no matter what they do (taking security to the absurd, guns for pilots, baricaded flight deck doors, arresting spotters, profiling), there is always an easy way around all those measures for those who want. Note: I didn't write terrorists cause national extremists are as dangerous as foreign extremists. For me terrorists are non existent because there is no definition for them.

clipperhawaii

Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:54 pm

For me terrorists are non existent because there is no definition for them.

As I pick myself up off the floor and wonder about this statement, I must say this statement gets one big HUH?

Unbelievable! Ahh! I see, from Belgium...that puts things into perspective.

CH
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

sudden

Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:16 pm

Boeing757/767 wrote:

"As a new father and the husband of a breast-feeding mother, I am absolutely outraged. I will be flying with family soon, and if that happens to us .... I don't know what I'd do. I am really mad about this. Normally, I'd side with security. But having a baby changes your perspective."

I am a father of a 7 months old boy now, and I second what you wrote, cause this is just way out of line!!!
You can say over and over that they do there job, but in this case they didn't, cause they didn't follow the guidelines.
What's next? Strip search the baby!?
When in doubt, flat out!

j_hallgren

Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:38 pm

At least it was odd/unusual enough to make the news! And the talk shows so I suspect that this issue will be addressed SOON by the TSA as they are getting a lot of flak about it....

And why didn't they just force Mom to feed the kid with it instead of drinking it herself? That would have proved it was safe, right?
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

bigphilnyc

Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:47 pm

Not to get gross, but would you taste your own splooge?

Didn't think so.

I agree with this lawsuit. (and I NEVER agree with lawsuits).
Phil Derner Jr.

hkgspotter1

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:35 pm

It just gets better and better, 4 inch M16 being taken away from action figures, Jam closing a terminal and now this.

L-188

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:39 pm

Does anybody remember way back about 11 months ago when I said that federalizing airline security was a bad idea.....

Anybody wonder why I said that.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:42 pm

I guess I don't belong here in this discussion , just felt I had to voice something , this is absolutely disgusting . Discretion is something common decency is something completely different . Anyone who has flown out of India would now how security checks are conducted here. I am pretty proud of the fact that even though it is orthodox it is extremely effective.

bigphilnyc

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:46 pm

The M-16 thing was NOT TUE. The story was taken form a tabloid!
Phil Derner Jr.

bigphilnyc

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:49 pm

I take the back. I just read the story on BBC.
Phil Derner Jr.

A330

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:53 pm

Clipperhawaii,
Do you have something against Belgians? You have to know that every "terrorist" is different, and have different causes. For one country, a man is a terrorist, for another, it is a hero.
I could easily say that Bush is a terrorist, for he also gave the order to bomb places, as did Bin Laden. (both handling in the name of freedom) But as you are American, and I live in the Western world, we call Dubya "president".
So you see that the term terrorist is highly subjective.
By the way, Clipperhawaii, at least in Belgium, we have a bit of intelligence left in terms of security measures, something you can't say about good old US of A...
Shiek!

DragonRapide

Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:24 pm

Thanks for jumping on the bandwagon here A330.
You voiced exactly what I meant.
Question: is PLO a terrorist organisation?
Answer no they are not.
Why?
Because they are fighting to get their country back.
If that answer is not valid then most people (people as in nations) would be terrorists because all people in their history have driven out conquerors.
Hell, we Flemish (Belgians) fought the French, the Spanish, the Romans, the Austrians, the Dutch, the German. All of them ruled our country once but we kept on fighting. Our Flemish national holiday remembers the biggest victory in our history on the French. Ordinary Flemish peasants killed the biggest Army of knights ever seen on the world in 1302. Hell we were terrorists!
Now you could argue that the 9/11 attacks were different. That was an attack outside the territory of the terrorists. Right, but that doesn't define them as terrorists either!
If that would be so, then all nations who had colonies were terrorists, even the US would be since they murdered all native indians. If that isn't an act of terror I don't know what is.
Hence my statement that I repeat: "For me terrorists are non existent because there is no definition for them."
Chew on that one Clipperhawaii

L-188

Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:51 pm

Question: is PLO a terrorist organisation?
Answer no they are not.
Why?
Because they are fighting to get their country back.

Actually they never had a country to start with. They where kicked out of Jordan after Arafat tried to take out King Hussein in the 1970's.

The West Bank was where most of them where exiled to, but Jordan lost that the Israel in a war that they (Jordan) started.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

A330

Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:12 pm

L-188,
learn your history... You are not correct, in fact, a lot of Palestinians have been exiled and fled TOO the Kingdom of Jordania. These people have lived in Palestinia for the last 2000 years. They are not fighting for a piece of flag for god's sake, no they want their own FREEDOM. Bombing is their only way to say, hey Israel, keep your dirty hands of our land! or do you think that suicide bombers kill themselves for fun? No, they feel that that is their last resort. Unless the US (and some countries in the EU) start to see this, the Western world is doomed to suffer more attacks in the future. We are hard learners apparantly.
Shiek!

DragonRapide

Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:48 pm

"Ooooh freedom o-oooh freedom
o-ooh freedom over me-e-e
before I'ld be a slave I'ld be running to my grave
and go home to my lord and be free be-e-e free."

These are the words of a song of the black slaves in the US a couple of decades ago, not too far away in history.

This song would go for the PLO and many many other organisations who want to live freely and to battles all over the world to have basic rights of freedom (freedom of speech, movement, economy, education).

Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:58 pm

This wannabe 'security' is pure BS. Plain and simple. I would love for that screener to prove how making this woman drink her own milk made the flight any safer. All it did was make another person not want to fly in this already hard time for the airline industry.

(I'm not gonna even comment on the I vs P issue, which seems to get brought up at least once an hour on these forums lately  Sleepy)

3-bird

zrs70

Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:51 am

A330:

Looks like you need to study history as well. Please explain what "Palestinia" is.

Also, please tell us in world history, when a country has won a war, and in that war, land, what have those countries done with the land and the people in the land?

While there is a great sense of frustration among the Palestinians (understandably so), terroririst bombings like occur outside of Israel as well. They are not a "last resort."

Aren't the suicide bombers motivated by a promise for a better afterlife? Sounds pretty selfish to me.

17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

AC320

Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:56 am

Look at the bright side. The mom could always make a fortune doing "Got Milk?" advertisments now.
fuddle duddle

Matt D

Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:22 am

Don't you think that at 40, she's a little old to be popping out a kid and breastfeeding?

perhaps that milk was a bit past the freshness date and started to turn sour.

eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww.

jaysit

Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:39 am

...Security is totally out of control. These low life, high school dropout rejects actually seem to pull this kind of crap on purpose. I know this will probably start flames but I really don't care. I think the main reason these screeners do this is revenge. Many of them are from lower classes of society and many are minorities. They see the middle and upper classes going through the airports everyday and they know they do not have the economic advantage to do the same thing. Out of nothing but pure spite, they hassle honest Americans just to exact some measure of revenge.....

Sorry, but this has got to be one of the most pitiful, pathetic, and laugheable posts on here (and thats saying a LOT !!). Actually, its so sad, I don't know whether to laugh or to pity the poor soul who posted it. I think I'll go with pity.

1. How do you know they dropped out of school?
2. How do you know they have never flown? Flying is cheap today and everyone flies.
3. How do you know they are doing this out of "revenge?"

Most security staff to me appear to be doing their job pretty well (I've taken about 25 flights since 9-11). They appear to be responsible and courteous even when asking you to open your bags or remove your shoes. And I seriously doubt if anyone (black, brown, or white) give a rat's ass about how much your daddy makes.

Atheism is Myth Understood.

Matt D

Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:45 am

I'm sorry, but I can't let this pass:
Not to get gross, but would you taste your own splooge?

Well that's an interesting, loaded question. I'll answer it with a question. Assuming you are a male, would you object to getting a...er....job that rhymes with 'show'? If you are a gay male, would you object to performing the same....service on another male?

In either case, someone is tasting someone else own....splooge..as you call it.

Your comment begs the question of why it would be ok to taste someone elses...or have someone else taste yours....but for one to taste ones own.....well that's just gross.

Interesting point of view.