brons2

How Long Did UAL Use The DC-8?

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:02 pm

I saw a pic on here of a DC-8-71 in 1990. This really surprised me as I would have thought the DC-8's would have been long gone by that point. What's the latest date that UAL used a DC-8 on pax services?

the pic:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Henry Tenby

Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

DC-10inLB

RE: How Long Did UAL Use The DC-8?

Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:25 pm

Hi there. UALs DC-8s were great. I flew on it from LAX-SFO in 1991, that was the last year UAL operated them. Delta had DC-8s in the early 90s as well, i think their last Super 70 was retired in '90.

FlagshipAZ

Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:24 pm

Greetings. United retired the last of their 29-strong DC-8-71s in early 1992, while the last of Delta's 13 DC-8-71s were retired in early 1989. Most of these airframes went to UPS as freighters where they're still going strong.  Wink/being sarcastic Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

airsicknessbag

Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:26 pm

UA´s last DC8 flight was on October 23, 1991. If you dig deep enough through the web you´ll find the exact flight it was. SAN might have been involved, I don´t remember 100%.

Daniel Smile

American 767

Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:33 pm

SFO was involved as well, it's one of United's main hubs. The final revenue flight departed SFO and arrived in Kona, Hawaai. The aicraft was ferried back to SFO. I remember reading that in Airliners. United has operated the Douglas DC-8 for over two decades, since the mid 60's until early 90's like you pointed out. The DC-8 replacement is the 757.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

gr8slvrflt

Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:39 pm

Actaully, the first United DC-8 service was on September 18, 1959.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

broke

Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:02 pm

UPS has 13 ex-Delta DC-8-71's. UPS does not have any ex-United DC-8's, happily. United had a feature that no other operator went for, which made their airplanes a pain for second tier and beyond operators. The lower baggage compartment doors on all (I believe) United DC-8's were on the centerline of the belly. They required a special container which was shaped in the cross-section of the compartment with a curved belly. The container was raised into the compartment with cables and slid fore and aft. The container transport carts had a fabric (canvas??) bottom on which the curved bottom of the container would rest.
Sounds good in theory, but once wear and tear occurred, the cables would hang up, the pulleys would break or jamb, a container would jam kitty corner somewhere in the compartment. But they used them to the end. Second tier operators would bulk load the bellys and going in through the belly door (unaffectionately known as the bomb bay door) was a real pain in the posterior (make whatever substitution for that term you would like). And a cargo shift would, at times, end with cargo sitting on the door.

ord

Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:02 am

I was amazed that United completely refurbished their DC-8 interiors near the end. In the mid-80s I was on some DC-8s that had new seat coverings but the older overhead bins, ceilings and sidewalls.

Much to my surprise, I flew again on the United DC-8s in 1990 and the whole plane was redone and looked really sharp. I remeber the ceiling panels and areas around the windows were shaped like stop signs. And it had very integrated overhead bins also with a new look.

737doctor

Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:42 am

UPS has 13 ex-Delta DC-8-71's. UPS does not have any ex-United DC-8's, happily. United had a feature that no other operator went for, which made their airplanes a pain for second tier and beyond operators. The lower baggage compartment doors on all (I believe) United DC-8's were on the centerline of the belly. They required a special container which was shaped in the cross-section of the compartment with a curved belly. The container was raised into the compartment with cables and slid fore and aft. The container transport carts had a fabric (canvas??) bottom on which the curved bottom of the container would rest.
Sounds good in theory, but once wear and tear occurred, the cables would hang up, the pulleys would break or jamb, a container would jam kitty corner somewhere in the compartment. But they used them to the end. Second tier operators would bulk load the bellys and going in through the belly door (unaffectionately known as the bomb bay door) was a real pain in the posterior (make whatever substitution for that term you would like). And a cargo shift would, at times, end with cargo sitting on the door.

Those planes fly for Air Transport International/BAX Global. I had the pleasure of working on those particular aircraft for 6 1/2+ years. I love the DC-8, but you're right, those doors were often a "pain in the posterior" if the loaders didn't secure the nets properly or managed to somehow get them "off track".
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

RayChuang

Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:45 pm

Quick question: did UA ever use the re-engined DC-8's on the SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK routes? Or was this route switched over to the 767-200 before UA got their re-engined DC-8's?

DouglasDC8

Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:32 pm

RayChuang,

The re-engined DC-8's were not used on the JFK-LAX route after the 767's were numerous in UAL's fleet. They were used on routes like DEN-EWR, SAN-ORD, SFO-KOA. Then for some reason, they started appearing on the EWR-LAX market.

UA actually did have one DC-8 that did not have the "pod" system, as we used to call it. It was an ex-JAL airplane that wound up in the bay at SFO due to a landing accident. As I recall it's UAL nose number was 2477. I don't know the registration number though. It had a somewhat different seating capacity than the other DC-8's. Something in the range of 28F/174Y. I believe that the rest of the fleet had a 26F/176Y config.

Another note, The Emery DC-8 that crashed at SMF a couple of years ago was an ex-UAL bird. Also, after the re-engine, they were easy to load plan. I never had a weight restiction on one, even on a long haul.

By the way, the DC-8 pods were carried in a metal dolly on the ramp. the door was fiberglass and the top was a canvas-like cover. As you may have guessed by my screenname, it's my favorite plane for sentimental reasons.

brons2

Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:28 pm

Speaking of the DC-8....

How come Douglas never tried to make a 2 engined version to compete with the 757? It would have slotted nicely between the DC-9-51 and the DC-10. They certainly could have made it lighter by carrying less fuel, the 757 only carries 11,489 gallons whereas the DC-8 had as much as 23,390 gallons. With a RB-211 twin DC-8, maybe it could have worked!

But anyways...I hope to fly on a DC-8 someday. Maybe I will ship myself somewhere  Big grin
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.