Ndebele
Topic Author

Contact Air (Team LH) To Take Ex-Eurowings ATRs?

Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:19 am

Today I had an interesting conversation with an ex-Augsburg Airways pilot. He told me that Contact Air plans to take at least five ATR72s from Eurowings in November. Those ATRs would be operated in Team-Lufthansa colours.

Has anybody else heard of that? Is it just a rumour, or is it official news?

Sabena 690

RE: Contact Air (Team LH) To Take Ex-Eurowings ATRs?

Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:42 am

Hey Ndebele,

Thanks for the interesting news!

Is it a replacement for their Dash 8 and F50 turboprops?

And btw: why is EW selling their ATR's? Have they bought other aircrafts?

Regards,
Frederic

Ndebele
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:57 am

According to that pilot, the ATRs would be additional aircraft to Contact Air's existing Fokker-50 fleet (the last Dash-8 left Contact Air's fleet years ago).

Eurowings recently added quite a lot of CRJs to their fleet, some more CRJs are due for delivery within the next few months I think. Btw, both Eurowings and Contact Air operate most of their flights on behalf of the Lufthansa network.

airsicknessbag

RE: Contact Air (Team LH) To Take Ex-Eurowings ATR

Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:58 pm

I read somewhere of the following plan, either in the FTD or on this very board, don´t remember:

EW sell their ATRs to different Team LH members and their CRJs to CL. In turn, they get CL´s ARJs, making CL all CRJ and EW all 146/ARJ (plus the 319s for the low cost airline). Plus this might be a first step to a more harmonised Team LH fleet which contains basically every 30-70 seater ever built  Wink/being sarcastic : D38, DH1, DH2, DH3, DH4, F50, AT4, AT7, CR2, ER4. Sounds complicated, but makes sense imho.

Daniel Smile

P.S.: Alex, did you get the 10c A on your Berlin trip?

Ndebele
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:46 am

The EW/CL fleet switch (as mentioned by Airsicknessbag) surely makes sense imho. EW would have ARJs only, CL would have CRJs only.

But as far as I understand, Contact Air will keep the F50 in their fleet, the ATR will become Contact Air's second aircraft type. But Contact Air won't take all of EW's ATRs, another Team Lufthansa member would have to take the rest. Augsburg Airways is very unlikely, both because of their financial situation and because of their all-Dash fleet. Cirrus Airways already operates a mix of D38, DH1, DH3 and ER4. The remaining ex-EW ATRs would fit into Cimber Air's fleet, but I doubt that Cimber as a Danish Airline will fly domestic German services for Team Lufthansa.

You see, fleet harmonisation can be difficult...

ps: Yes, Daniel, finally I've completed my collection  Smile/happy/getting dizzy It was not very difficult, the 10c A is very common in Berlin

airsicknessbag

RE: Contact Air (Team LH) To Take Ex-Eurowings ATR

Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:37 am

Oh, Cimber flies all Kiel services, KEL-FRA, -CGN, -MUC and -TXL with their ATRs. They also did TXL-BRU some time with the CRJ200, or maybe they still do, I´m too lazy to go get a timetable now  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I could very well see Cirrus going for a fleet standardisation: their Dash are up to 13 years old (ex Hamburg Airlines) and non-Q models. Plus, when Dornier is finished, they might want to get rid of the Do328 due to lack of spares and engineering support. Question is, could an ATR72 operate out of MHG´s 1066 metre runway? Pure specuolation, of course.

Daniel Smile